AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 01-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Screws in wood or composite speaker cabinets will not hold a constant torque value as will machined threads into a threaded metal hole or a threaded nut. You have to be extremely careful when tightening screws into wood or composite materials. Snug is usually where you want to be, but not wrenched down to a higher torqued value like you would a threaded bolt. In addition, tightening screws should be done back and forth across the speaker frame from one side to the other rather than one screw to the next around the speaker frame. I this manner an even pressure is applied to the speaker frame as it is pressed to the cabinet mounting hole.

This applies to any dynamic driver mounted on a baffle.

Most often, mis-tightening that causes buzzing is atttributable to one of 2 causes: 1) uneven tightening of the driver frame or faceplate can cause the voice coil to rub typically at frequency/excursion extremes - on some drivers the amount of difference in torque is tiny and the order in which you apply pressure (see Dan's post above) can exacerbate the issue, and 2) an air leak caused by uneven tightening.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:50 PM

Good bits of information here...

The 1/2 turn past initial impact with the spring lock washer is exactly what I ended up using as a guideline and setting all screws at, great to hear this is PMC's official reco.

Metaphacts, interesting information however could you elaborate on your point 1? Would the voice coil rub occur due to the driver not being situated in a perfectly horizontal fashion?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebonth View Post
Good bits of information here...

The 1/2 turn past initial impact with the spring lock washer is exactly what I ended up using as a guideline and setting all screws at, great to hear this is PMC's official reco.

Metaphacts, interesting information however could you elaborate on your point 1? Would the voice coil rub occur due to the driver not being situated in a perfectly horizontal fashion?

The frame edge torques/is no longer flat relative to the pole piece. That's why you only hear it at highest excursions. This can also be affected by the way the manufacturer chooses to couple the driver to the baffle, milling of the mounting hole, and stiffness of the gasket (if there is one).

The best solution is to follow precisely the manufacturer's recommendation.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the clarification, makes sense.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 AM

But, but, but...screws work loose over time! I mean we are talking about screws holding in something that is constantly vibrating when in use. It's just plain gonna happen.

The good news for me is, apparently I didn't do any harm. I hear zero ill effects from my tampering. And as I stated, they do sound better to me (but that could be my imagination). : )
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
But, but, but...screws work loose over time! I mean we are talking about screws holding in something that is constantly vibrating when in use. It's just plain gonna happen.

The good news for me is, apparently I didn't do any harm. I hear zero ill effects from my tampering. And as I stated, they do sound better to me (but that could be my imagination). : )
Mate, I don't think its your imagination...otherwise we both are!

Just for your info I have done the same on Dynaudio and Sonus Faber speakers too and hear the same effects where bass gets tighter and mids clearer too. However, do it at your own risk and I will suggest to tighten it evenly across screws.

Cheers!

Last edited by larevoj; 04-17-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 PM

Proper screw torque in any material is 1/4 turn before it strips.