AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Joost.......There is no pressure to become a subscriber on this forum. I tried to encourage jaxwired to consider the added benefits of becoming a subscriber, in particular the ability to buy and sell audio components using the Audio Aficionado resources. I posted the link to the subscription page as a convenience, not as an attempt to pressure anyone. I am an enthusiastic Audio Aficionado member, and have been a Subscriber from the very beginning of the forum's existence. Many benefits have come my way through my association with AA, and it is fun for me to recommend becoming a subscriber to members who may have overlooked the added advantages of subscriber status.

Your support of this great audio forum is appreciated by every other subscriber here, including me. Thank you.
+1!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:55 PM
What?

MB2I's for 8k, I'll take two pair...and IB1's for 4k, I may have seen a pair once for 4 grand but they were studio driven for 10 years and looked like they were dragged behind a truck for 5 miles.
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 06-17-2012, 06:09 PM

Really.....wow,you fellas should shop around....anyways,good luck
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
mb2......."WAY overpriced" is just your opinion...
Actually, it depends on what he means by "overpriced". Price to value ratio is not entirely subjective. It can be measured to a degree based on sales. For instance, if I try to resell my OB1i's for $20k, the lack of buyers does suggest over pricing. So we could say that a speaker is over priced based on how it sells relative to similar offerings from competitors. Proac and Spendor have very similar offerings to PMC and both are generally lower priced. If they sell in larger quantities than perhaps the PMCs are indeed over priced.

Going just on gut feeling, PMCs do seem to be over priced. This is just based on what you can get from other British speaker companies for less money.

HOWEVER, would I trade my OB1is for the Spendors or Proacs? Nope, so maybe they aren't over priced.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
Actually, it depends on what he means by "overpriced". Price to value ratio is not entirely subjective. It can be measured to a degree based on sales. For instance, if I try to resell my OB1i's for $20k, the lack of buyers does suggest over pricing. So we could say that a speaker is over priced based on how it sells relative to similar offerings from competitors. Proac and Spendor have very similar offerings to PMC and both are generally lower priced. If they sell in larger quantities than perhaps the PMCs are indeed over priced.

Going just on gut feeling, PMCs do seem to be over priced. This is just based on what you can get from other British speaker companies for less money.

HOWEVER, would I trade my OB1is for the Spendors or Proacs? Nope, so maybe they aren't over priced.
jaxwired.......The entire time I was reading your post I was thinking exactly what your last sentence said. I would not trade my EB1i's either. My response to mb2's comment was based on the broad brush stroke he painted.

To be perfectly honest, I think almost everything in high-end audio is over priced to same degree, and in some case prices are absurdly ridiculous, but the bottom line is in the eye of the purchaser. Value is as elusive to define as sound.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 AM

Here is what I had/have and never paid the crazy prices that are being asked...If you trade your old ones in then you will lose big money either on trade or the sale...you are better off buying them and then selling yours privately...PM me if you want more info as alot of guys here are dealers or just paid way to much
MB2
IB2i
IB1
AB2
CB6i

The picture is simple really...great speakers at a high cost