AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 10-31-2018, 09:53 PM

Stopping here. Choosing B.

Returning the Benchmark DAC3 B tomorrow. Nice, but not a good synergy with my system and my ear as compared to my former DACs based on how my speakers and equipment sounds today. Nothing against Benchmark at all. Neat unit, just not for me.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:34 PM

Isn’t is great you can try it out at home with your other gear to see if it is a fit? Low risk.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 11-01-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Isn’t is great you can try it out at home with your other gear to see if it is a fit? Low risk.
Yes. It's awesome in fact, and many direct-internet sales based companies seem to be trying this now days which is great for all parties. My guess is the odds of success increase sales more than not doing this. "Fit" has to do with so many other variables but it offers a new path. Well, we'll see, still gotta get my RMA# and refund, but I'm not suspecting any problems. Was really helpful to try it though. If someone is looking for "perfect" engineered output and sound, the BM DAC3 B is it. It turns out my preference with music and sound is something less than perfect thus retaining aspects of 2nd and 3rd order harmonics along with retaining some level of good old distortion. The best part of my tube preamp and tube amps is some pieces of the distortion and the added 3rd order harmonics. I guess I'm an old school fool but have a preference in how I want my music to sound I guess

Last edited by decooney; 11-01-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:02 AM

There is a MHDT NOS Havana DAC for sale $400. It's cap coupled and uses one 5670 tube. I've had mine for years. Very musical with plenty of detail. If I replaced it I think I'd look at Audio Note.

There is an ebay seller, kievfilarmony200639, in Ukraine that has some interesting DACS. Someone here in the Shindo forum has one in his rig. I've looked at these for a while.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 11-01-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
I guess I'm an old school fool but have a preference in how I want my music to sound I guess
Your ears & your money. No one can listen for you. Do what's right for you.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-01-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Stopping here. Choosing B.

Returning the Benchmark DAC3 B tomorrow. Nice, but not a good synergy with my system and my ear as compared to my former DACs based on how my speakers and equipment sounds today. Nothing against Benchmark at all. Neat unit, just not for me.
Good call. IME if you don't like the DACs basic sound, it's really hard to "fix" it with changes to downstream components.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
There is a MHDT NOS Havana DAC for sale $400. It's cap coupled and uses one 5670 tube. I've had mine for years. Very musical with plenty of detail. If I replaced it I think I'd look at Audio Note.

There is an ebay seller, kievfilarmony200639, in Ukraine that has some interesting DACS. Someone here in the Shindo forum has one in his rig. I've looked at these for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Good call. IME if you don't like the DACs basic sound, it's really hard to "fix" it with changes to downstream components.

FB, Thanks for the referral. I sort of live in "AudioNote Land" and "PassLand" 'round here, lots of both. Mr. Pass is 20 min away... Our only remaining hi-end audio store (20+ around herein the 70s-80s) now down to one guy, one store, been in business 52 years and he like the the AudioNote king, most of the entire store of all new gear is AN, heard it all. Super nice. Does not follow all the regular engineering rules, only those that sound the best. Maybe when I consolidate back down to a small system, read to retire, it will be AN in the future. Very musical for sure. Last DAC I saw there was only 16bit. Amazing. Agree.

Tyson,
I just know one thing, I want to be "engaged". I know I'm engaged with a system when even the bad recordings sound good too, or at least when I want to listen to the end of the song. When it sounds more like ProAudio, I immediately become fatigued, dis-engaged, and find myself looking for "other" tracks to play. My measure of a decent system is having it sound musical even when the recordings were not so good. Def gonna roll through some other DACs, including a few loaners from friends.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
FB, Thanks for the referral. I sort of live in "AudioNote Land" and "PassLand" 'round here, lots of both. Mr. Pass is 20 min away... Our only remaining hi-end audio store (20+ around herein the 70s-80s) now down to one guy, one store, been in business 52 years and he like the the AudioNote king, most of the entire store of all new gear is AN, heard it all. Super nice. Does not follow all the regular engineering rules, only those that sound the best. Maybe when I consolidate back down to a small system, read to retire, it will be AN in the future. Very musical for sure. Last DAC I saw there was only 16bit. Amazing. Agree.

Tyson,
I just know one thing, I want to be "engaged". I know I'm engaged with a system when even the bad recordings sound good too, or at least when I want to listen to the end of the song. When it sounds more like ProAudio, I immediately become fatigued, dis-engaged, and find myself looking for "other" tracks to play. My measure of a decent system is having it sound musical even when the recordings were not so good. Def gonna roll through some other DACs, including a few loaners from friends.

Thanks.
Agree 100%.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:50 PM

You should check out iFi - they make really good sounding DACs that are closer to analog than anything else I've heard under $5k. Most other DACs just don't get tone correct, but iFi does. Even their $500 Micro DAC is really good, but the $2400 iDSD Pro with tubed output is something else!
Old 11-02-2018, 02:20 PM

You guys are enablers. : I took a chance and bought a NOS DAC on ebay. Fingers crossed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAC2-1-3-5v...72.m2749.l2649