AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 AM

So I took a chance on a pair of KEF LS50's. not much on here about them other than a few mentions but other places online there are quite impressive reviews and recommendations. A lot of the same technology from the blades has filtered down to these little beauties and I've always been intrigued by the concentric driver setup.

I also had the opportunity to hear these in Newport at THE show and I can tell you that these punch far above their weight in gold. It'll be interesting to see how they fit into my room.

I'm looking at getting an integrated to power them long term. I've got my eyes on either the Rega Osiris, Ayre AX-5, or Devialet D-Premier.

Any other contenders in the under $10k range (used is fine) that I should look out for? I'd prefer to stick in the $5-7.5k range but for the right match will jump to $10k.

Also what's the recommended procedure for burning in a pair of new speakers...pink noise, certain tracks, etc?

Last edited by adhesiv; 06-17-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM

I can hear a pin drop in here...surprised there's not more talk about these little speakers. They seem to be taking the reviewers by storm.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
I can hear a pin drop in here...surprised there's not more talk about these little speakers. They seem to be taking the reviewers by storm.
I agree with you they are a great speaker. I think you don't hear much about it here because people on this website are more Into expensive speakers. Just look at all the threads about Wilson and Magico. I was also at the Newport show and I think Kef had one of the best rooms at the show.

I personally don't think you have to spend 10k on an Intergrated for these speakers. Buying new I think 5k is more than enough. Enjoy your speakers you made a great choice.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 AM
The Architect

I recommend taking a good look at the ModWright KWI-200 integrated which is right in your price range, and has options for both DAC and phono preamp if desired.

I've heard lots of good things about these speakers and look forward to your impressions!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 PM

I heard them with an Audio Analogue integrated amp. Can play loud without breakup. I like the combo.

On the other hand, I did not enjoy the match up with my Naim SuperNait. I thought the combo was a little muted.

The combo I like best with a DIY Hifi Supply Django TVC + a pair of vintage Leak 12.1. Very nice until one channel of the Leak started acting up.

I think the LS50 will pair up nice with a Leben CS600 too but too lazy to confirm for now.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taters View Post

I agree with you they are a great speaker. I think you don't hear much about it here because people on this website are more Into expensive speakers. Just look at all the threads about Wilson and Magico. I was also at the Newport show and I think Kef had one of the best rooms at the show.

I personally don't think you have to spend 10k on an Intergrated for these speakers. Buying new I think 5k is more than enough. Enjoy your speakers you made a great choice.
Thanks for breaking the ice

After doing some more research on the integrated a out there I tend to agree with you on the range. I'm still considering the Rega Osiris but have replaced my interest on the others for the Hegel H300 and possibly using the line stage in my Bryston BHA-1 and finding an appropriate amp...maybe add some tubes back into the mix.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
I recommend taking a good look at the ModWright KWI-200 integrated which is right in your price range, and has options for both DAC and phono preamp if desired.

I've heard lots of good things about these speakers and look forward to your impressions!
The ModWright's are very intriguing to me and seem to come up from time to time on the used market as well...I will try to arrange a demo, nice thing about these speakers is being able to lug them to a dealer and use them in a demo.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling View Post
I heard them with an Audio Analogue integrated amp. Can play loud without breakup. I like the combo.

On the other hand, I did not enjoy the match up with my Naim SuperNait. I thought the combo was a little muted.

The combo I like best with a DIY Hifi Supply Django TVC + a pair of vintage Leak 12.1. Very nice until one channel of the Leak started acting up.

I think the LS50 will pair up nice with a Leben CS600 too but too lazy to confirm for now.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Interesting you mention the vintage Leak...I was eyeballing a pair of vintage Luxman MB3045's to go with my Bryston line stage...I'm still trying to contact the seller to see if they're still available.

Coming from Shindo, a sound I thoroughly enjoyed, the Leben might be a good idea to look into as well. I know a couple local dealers who sell this outfit...looks like it's time to start setting up some demos.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling View Post

Regards,
Joe Ling
Let me know if you do pair up with the Leben and how it works out.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 PM

I have those KEFs. Amazing speakers that won't be ashamed to run with $10k + amps. The top rega integrated or simaudio integrated or Pass Labs int 150 as well as modwright integrated. would be great choices. They respond well to big clean power given their efficiency rating. The Hegel gear is giant killer so can't go wrong there. The H300 plus a great dac and the ls50 would be something that puts systems 5x the price to shame.