AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 02-18-2021, 07:08 AM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

I like the looks, but I agree that noise is a part of the performance car experience.
Regards,
Jim
Old 02-18-2021, 12:48 PM
Member of the Music Squad

I would like to test it on the track...
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 06-24-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I am an engine noise guy myself.
Ditto

Mute doesn't make it with me.

__"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" apparently not Winston Churchill
_
Old 06-29-2021, 08:40 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
To those of us who drove the 356 and then '70s 911s, seeing a Porsche cockpit without a stick shift is most odd.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 06-29-2021, 09:18 PM

And sad, but true
Old 07-02-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
To those of us who drove the 356 and then '70s 911s, seeing a Porsche cockpit without a stick shift is most odd.
The stick shift???

The internal combustion engine is GONE...

No more flat sixes emitting their glorious symphony...

No more sweet aroma of the hydrocarbons being spewed out the tail pipes in the most aromatic way...

Yes, no more stick shift as well for many models for some years now...

With the EV revolution, all the things that tingled all the petrol head's senses in all the right places... Gone

The essence of the motoring experience is replaced by a silent but potent electric drivetrain which seems to have a single mission... to launch the occupants of the vehicle along the horizontal plane as fast as technology will allow. I fail to see how that defining characteristic will keep enthusiast's passion burning as EVERY electric vehicle is FAST, FASTER and FASTEST but there is not much more after that.

In this day and age where the efficiency of Artificial Intelligence and robotics has been given the green light to largely displace and perhaps ultimately completely phase out the human workforce starting with the heavy and complex industrial assembly, welding, painting, etc... and ultimately replacing the human intellect of the designers and engineers as well as most human input, the Electric Vehicle revolution came at the right time and as a stark reminder that we once rode in horse buggies and yet still managed to to get things done and be happy.

Most things will never be the same and that is the progress and price of technological evolution but we are falling behind as humans with our nostalgic and less than efficient souls that get attached to things that cannot withstand the test of time, ourselves included...

In order to adapt, one must become a machine... Isn't that what the likes of Elon Musk want us to do with his neural link and the connection of the human brain and the internet, the genetic research being done to prolong our lives, the research and development of limbs and prosthetics that can enhance us as we evolve over the next centuries to completely change us, make us faster, stronger, live longer, morph and infuse us with AI and robotics and perhaps lose all that is human?

I can see the human race becoming an efficient but completely soulless species of anatomically and physically perfect androids fused with technology and completely devoid of all that made us human once....and of course immortal to witness the demise and eradication of ALL that made us human once as a result, that being the grand prize for our ingenuity and the never ending desire to evolve technologically.

So who wants the next iteration of the fastest 0-60 EV that will somehow try to stand out in a sea of other EVs? It will only cost you a bit more than the average first house you ever bought

I'll pass on that for as long as I can but I can see how many will embrace all of it.

Last edited by PHC1; 07-02-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:51 AM
Retired

And, let the recalls begin..................

https://www.reviewgeek.com/91071/por...evs-worldwide/
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-03-2021, 09:40 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The stick shift???

No more flat sixes emitting their glorious symphony..
I'm looking forward to my straight six emitting a glorious symphony in the next several weeks......my car is almost to Baltimore.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 07-03-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
And, let the recalls begin..................

https://www.reviewgeek.com/91071/por...evs-worldwide/
"Oddly enough, the power loss problem apparently stems from the regular 12-volt battery that powers accessories like the stereo. According to the NHTSA, over a dozen Taycan owners filed a complaint about the problem. As a result, the agency opened an investigation, and now it looks like a recall is en route."

A 12V battery in a car full of BATTERIES
Old 07-03-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I'm looking forward to my straight six emitting a glorious symphony in the next several weeks......my car is almost to Baltimore.

- Buck
E 55 AMG? Nice! Enjoy that 3.0L in-line 6 turbo

Cue up "Rush" "Red Barchetta"

https://youtu.be/PjjNvjURS-s