AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 01-19-2021, 10:10 PM

Serge-

Well planned and executed comparison on these two cables. It reinforces how subtle differences at this level are and the role (all) equipment and listening environment plays in the overall equation.

Now, you have done some pretty extensive listening to various USB cables as well. So any thoughts on USB vs AES? (Had to Ask)
Old 01-19-2021, 10:57 PM

Thank you John, glad you appreciate.

As for the differences between AES/EBU and USB cables, I believe that Caelin from Shunyata is right when he says that all cable should sound the same regardless of their respective interface. For instance, an Alpha AES/EBU and an Alpha USB should technically sound the same. The difference I believe resides in the implementation of such connections in the device it is connected to. As you pointed it to me, and as I have read it in the review of the BDP-3 over HiFi Advice, the USB implementation differs and sound different on the BDP-3 from the 3 available buses. Why is this, I don't know. As for the BDP with the Bryston IAD sound card, even Bryston admits that AES/EBU will sound better than USB; it's even written in the manual and brochure. After reading some reviews again over HiFi Advice, the author affirms after many cable reviews that AES/EBU sounds constantly better generally speaking when compared to USB. That's why I decided to go with this interface on my BDP-2 and now BDP-3. The only downside with this is that, as far as I know, DSD is not supported as it is only supported with USB on the BDPs. Since I am in Canada, not much DSD is offered (and I haven't really searched for them though) and I am quite pleased with regular red book CD rips when the recordings and masterings are there.

Quite frankly, before I dive into those hi-res downloads/streamings, there is so much more I can do to improve my sound system before even thinking about this. There is so much to be squeezed from regular CDs and every time I make a change (for the most part) the performance jumps a notch or two. I don't deny that those hi-res files may sound better when compared to regular CD but this is not a panacea. Some people I guess believe that because they now stream hi-res content that their system will sound world class with inferior gear. I mean, I would not be surprised that a regular CD in a proper system will outgun an inferior system even with those hi-res streaming. To confirm this I will have to try myself. if you have an excellent system and have access to hi-res streaming/downloads, then you have the best of both worlds. For my part, I still like to have the CD rips as I believe they sound better than streaming feeds. I will however for convenience add a Bluesound Node 2i probably this year in my system for music discoveries and for those people who come home like "hey, do you know album X from that singer Y?" Maybe I am still stuck in that old paradigm where albums needed to be purchased to be listened to, and I like to own the real thing. Maybe this will change in the future.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Maybe I am still stuck in that old paradigm where albums needed to be purchased to be listened to, and I like to own the real thing. Maybe this will change in the future.
You are not alone. I feel the same.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreB View Post
You are not alone. I feel the same.
Ah, if you are into vinyl, it all makes sense!
But for my part, I am still buying CDs to rip them
Jokes aside, I have determined the way I am going to "consume" my music. I think I will keep only the albums I like the most on my BDP and purchase only the albums I really like. For the rest, a Bluesound Node 2i will do just fine.
Eventually as time marches on, probably I will find a streaming device that will sound in every way better than stored medias.
And who know, maybe when the pendulum comes back we will all miss to touch a physical media and every one will go back purchasing whatever the format will be at that time. I think vinyl is a good example of this in some ways.