AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 12-23-2020, 10:09 PM

Joel,

I have the Woo WA6, WA7, WA 8, and now the WA22, and have auditioned the WA5. Obviously I’m a fan and highly recommend them, but be careful to match to your listening tastes, headphones and source equipment. The basic WA6, as an example, is very full sounding with a very nice midrange, but depending on source and headphones, can sometimes sound thick in the midrange and a bit loose and slow in the bass. It’s very good (depending on tubes) with Senn headphones, for example, and a bargain at its price, but might not be the best match for your TT and Audeze headphones. The WA6SE, on the other hand, is more solid and faster in the bass and more open in the midrange. The WA22 also is very open and natural with very solid and well defined bass, but it’s really at its best with a true balanced source and headphones with a balanced cable. The sweet spot, if you don’t mind two larger boxes and the steeper price, is the WA5-LE.

Good luck.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 12-26-2020, 03:48 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Tony, Serge, thanks for sharing your experience!

I'm looking to run 2 headphones systems Woo+Senn and Burson+Audeze.

Considering the Senn HD800S, so I don't mind the lusher touch from the amp.

WA2 - I like the sound signature you described, not sure I need the 4 line inputs
WA6 - think it makes the shortlist
WA6SE - gives a bit more flexibility as I could also use it with the Audeze
WA8 - Tony what's your opinion on that unit? Do you have it with SS or tube PSU?
WA5LE & WA22 - a bit above budget

Thank you gentlemen!
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 12-26-2020, 12:22 PM

Default Woo Audio WA22

I really like the WA8. I use it in the bedroom, it has a very nice DAC and fits nicely on a nightstand. I use it primarily with MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed headphones or Shure IEMs. Sound is very good: very open, well-defined bass, enough detail and a very nice smooth midrange. I don’t think there’s a tube power supply option, it’s battery powered with a charger, although I leave it on the charger all the time.

Perhaps you’re thinking of the WA7, which has a tube ps option. I have the 1st generation, which didn’t have the tube ps option. I use it mostly with IEMs, and really like the sound of the amp, but the DAC is not its best feature - it was the first model Woo made with a DAC and can sound a bit edgy on some recordings. I understand the 2nd generation model has a better DAC, like the WA8, which has an excellent DAC.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 12-26-2020, 12:36 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Tony, yes my bad/typo I did mean the WA7, thanks for your feedback about DAC performance Gen2 vs. Gen1, I will investigate further!
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser