AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 02-04-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piolaxo View Post
The problem with new stuff .......... the quality of the recordings.
I think no one here will dispute the fact that it's the quality of today's music that is suffering. New music must be well recorded before many audiophiles will consider it a keeper. Most of the music today is recorded with "tactics" to get someone's attention NOT to relax and enjoy.

Genres on the other hand are a personal taste (as is evident from just these few post) from loving everything in a certain genre to hating everything. It does not mean one genera is better than the other. Similar to all the fine systems here and the attributes of each device we like or dislike. Unfortunately, certain genres today employ these "tactics" more than others which leads to an general unpopularity.

Similar to Jim, I like to find that new artist in certain genres but only the ones well recorded are keepers.

The ones that get played the most have three common themes
1) Is in the genre I like.
2) Is a trax or song that appeals to me
3) Is well recorded and sounds good on MY system.

Just my two cents. Thanks for reading.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 02-04-2022, 09:32 AM
Aspiring Audiophile

I’d say that it is simply different.

Take movies for example- “back in the day” there were a handful of releases, with very limited choices.

On television, there were a handful of channels.

The options were so few, that it made it pretty simple what to choose to consume from a media standpoint.

Today, you can spend 2 hours on Netflix sifting through to try and find something worth watching.

Music is much the same.

There is sooooooo much more readily available that we are exposed to much more choices.

Trying to sift through the garbage to find the gems leads us to perceive that the quality has gone down the tubes.

I’ve found plenty of modern gems…so it isn’t all crap. It’s just hidden amongst the crap, and thus harder to find (but it’s there).
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 02-04-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
`

Trying to sift through the garbage to find the gems leads us to perceive that the quality has gone down the tubes.

I’ve found plenty of modern gems…so it isn’t all crap. It’s just hidden amongst the crap, and thus harder to find (but it’s there).
That is where Roon Radio comes in for me. For the past several months I have been able to put on a album or track I like and when it finishes Roon Radio takes over and starts offering similar tracks many from artists or albums new to me. A home run in my experience
Old 02-04-2022, 03:39 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
That is where Roon Radio comes in for me. For the past several months I have been able to put on a album or track I like and when it finishes Roon Radio takes over and starts offering similar tracks many from artists or albums new to me. A home run in my experience

I also like Roon to discover new artists and music.
It works very well.
Especially in jazz... (just teasing you Jim! )
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-04-2022, 07:59 PM

I also use Roon, as well as reviews in various publications and FM and internet radio to find new music. It’s out there, you just have to put in a little effort and have an open mind. I don’t mean to disparage anyone’s taste in music, but even in the 60s I thought most of the music that was popular on the radio was derivative and not worth the time - remember the term “bubblegum music”? To my mind, the late 70s and 80s had some of the worst popular music, and since 90s it’s only gotten better. But just like then, a lot of the popular music is crap and you have to seek out the good stuff from the lesser known artists. Use Roon Radio, listen to your local college radio station, watch NPR Tiny Desk Concerts, check out Bandcamp and New West Records, and I’m sure there are other sources.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 02-04-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Doing that exact thing right now and just found a keeper.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 02-05-2022, 04:40 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Q: "Is Old Music Killing New Music?"

A: Yes. I'd much rather listen to Luigi Boccherini than Nirvana.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:50 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

In the year 2525, if man is still alive, the Beatles will still be #1. Zager and Evans may be very popular then as well.

While none of us know whether or not the above is true or not, according to the article older music remains as a transforming source in our culture.

Some great points have been made above. It gives me food for thought.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Q: "Is Old Music Killing New Music?"

A: Yes. I'd much rather listen to Luigi Boccherini than Nirvana.
Funny. But before I cancelled my Sirius account I used their service to find gems in classical music much the same way the Roon users here use that system to find their favorite music.

You should see my phone it's loaded with pics of my car's display. Artist and track name. It also worked great for the jazz stations as well.

Now I'm getting the same result for free with Pandora. I just tell Siri to play Mozart on Pandora and within minutes it's deep into other composers works, much of which I've never heard before.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 02-05-2022, 01:25 PM

I like the Indie scene a lot, you get some nice tunes there, and modern Jazz ain't too shabby either, then you've got World, and there might be some good electronic music out there, but I draw the line at (c)rap, esp female. Radio times has book times instantly then. I mix and match modern with old. You have to hand it to anyone who can write a decent tune or album over the last two years.