AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Analog Pressings

Old 12-28-2015, 02:13 PM

A couple of years ago I bought my 28 year old son a Pro-Ject table and he's been collecting Tool and similar hard core rock on vinyl, but this year he surprised me by asking for Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" on vinyl for Christmas.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-11-2016, 07:42 PM

Nice!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM411 View Post
I think I created a vinyl lover. My oldest kid is in graduate school at Clemson University.. While at home his Chrismas break he invited a couple of his friends over to shoot pool, drink beer and play vinyl. The morning after I found this collection amongst my vinyl. ...AND this is my high tech kid (also my musician son) who always laughed at my albums as being old school.
Give that Arctic Monkeys album a spin if you haven't already!
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 AM

I'm a bit late to the party, but love this post!
Old 03-13-2016, 01:59 PM

Very cool, pass on the hobby & knowledge.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:19 AM

its fun listening with my sons when they are home

mc275VI 50th anniversary edition, c2300, rega p5, aerial acoustics 7t, Bryston BDA-1 dac, yamaha cdx550, dual 1237 turntable (not in use)
Old 03-14-2016, 11:35 PM

One of my brothers has always criticized me for still listening to vinyl for years, asking why I keep messing around with old, outdated technology when digital is so much better. Every time he's over and I'm listening to an album, he'll say "Yeah, it sounds decent, but not as good as digital".

Shortly after getting and installing the Lounge Audio phono preamp, he was over again and I played 4 or 5 different albums while we were making dinner. There were a couple brand new albums and a couple of old, well known albums played. This time around, he kept saying that he couldn't believe how much of an improvement that phono preamp was making.

A few days later, he tells me he has a Lounge Audio phono preamp arriving in the mail. Now keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who constantly criticized me about listening to vinyl for years, who last spun vinyl of his own back in 1989, and has not owned a turntable since then...

He went and purchased the same exact Lounge Audio phono preamp I have, directly from Lounge's site after hearing mine! I tell him "That's nice. What are you going to do with it, just sit there and look at it?"... LOL He tells me he has a brand new Crosley C10 turntable (re-branded Pro-Ject Debut III) showing up the following day.

Just the other day, he received the Pro-Ject Speed Box S. Since he's borrowing about a dozen of my albums, I'm not even sure he's bought any of his own yet.

I think it's crazy how just over night, my brother has drastically changed his tune on vinyl and "old, outdated technology"... Haha

And here it is... Also has the same record clamp as me.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
A couple of years ago I bought my 28 year old son a Pro-Ject table and he's been collecting Tool and similar hard core rock on vinyl, but this year he surprised me by asking for Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" on vinyl for Christmas.
Im not surprised by this, even here in old New Zealand my daughters friends (17 to 18yrs old) are now getting into Jazz - it seems Dave Brubeck is the starting point, then they discover Miles, Coltrane, Lee, Pepper - in that order.

Its amazing, last year my Daughter said I was listening to 'old mans music' on an 'old mans format', now, its 'cool' to listen to old mans music on vinyl.

Johnny Cash is also 'cool'. I betting that the Blues will be the next genre to be 'cool' as well. Gary Clark jr seems to be the start point with the Blues- then suddenly Muddy Waters, BB King & Robert Cray are 'discovered'. I think it fantastic.

BTW when her friends visit & have a listen to my system, its not the McIntosh gear they oh & ahh over- its my refurbed Oracle Delphi that they love!
Old 06-02-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
Im not surprised by this, even here in old New Zealand my daughters friends (17 to 18yrs old) are now getting into Jazz - it seems Dave Brubeck is the starting point, then they discover Miles, Coltrane, Lee, Pepper - in that order.

Its amazing, last year my Daughter said I was listening to 'old mans music' on an 'old mans format', now, its 'cool' to listen to old mans music on vinyl.

BTW when her friends visit & have a listen to my system, its not the McIntosh gear they oh & ahh over- its my refurbed Oracle Delphi that they love!
We are seeing the same phenomena with our 14 year-old. "Dad, everyone knows vinyl sounds better". In her case she has a valid technical point - for much current pop music, the digital version is extremely compressed for smartphone playback while the superior version is pressed onto disc.

So, we got her a simple Audio-Technica TT and she now has a collection of perhaps 40 albums, mostly used bought in Boston shops.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 06-03-2016 at 12:13 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 06-09-2016, 04:22 AM

I've recently been through this myself.

For his high school graduation a few years back, I got my son his own system. It took about 6-9 months to fall into all the components. that takes some discipline when you have some big speakers--infinity qls--but cannot play them for awhile.

At any rate, he has a bi-amped audio research setup. Tube amp d76 on top. We have tried multiple tubes and finally figured out the ideal sound. And that meant things like the vintage telefunken 12ax7's were not the best sounding. Nor were some others thought to be good vintage one's.

SS amp for the bass. LS-1 as the pre-amp. That was another one hard to get the perfect 6922 for. Tried 70's telefunken. Philips. Sylvania. finally got a Mullard and that was the guy.

To illustrate my son's dedication--he recently sent the pre-amp in for updates to mk 3 status. Not too many 22 year old's do that, do they?

Oh yeah---MIT interconnects and Shunyata power cords on everything. I'd go half on those purchases and he'd chip in the rest.

The fallout is the source. Like Anton mentioned earlier, My son also likes the Tool stuff. Les Claypool. Chemical Brothers. So now he knows the differences and advantages of getting imports. Or even better, cd singles.

The surprise is how expensive Tool cd singles of "sober" are. My guess is not too many were ever made and there is a real shortage of folks selling that kind of thing. Same to a lesser degree with Claypool.

This ends up being a chip off the old block because I have scoured for best vinyl since 1975. And it sure does get pricey. My son and his system do the same thing---with cd's.

A funny world sometimes, but an interesting journey.