AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Streaming & Television Shows

Streaming & Television Shows Netflix, Amazon, Cable & Network Series

Old 05-20-2015, 08:25 PM

Default Final Letterman Show

How many of you will be watching or recording Letterman's final show this evening? I was never a late night talk show follower or big DL fan. i would occasionally watch Leno especially his Monday "Headlines" feature. I started watching Fallon but his shtick wore off very quickly. It is too much about him and although he is talented in many areas he does terrible interviews. He doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

So as Letterman was getting down to his last weeks we started watching his show. I must say I have enjoyed these last several weeks. Top of the line quests. It has been fun to see how some artists have interacted with Dave these past 33 years and watching them change over time.

Letterman was ahead of his time and so different from Carson or Leno. Now we are left with the dumbing down of late night TV with the likes of Fallon, Kimmel and Conan (is he still on?). I wish my wife would get rid of the TV in the bedroom. I will miss Letterman and really didn't know it 'till the past couple of months.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
How many of you will be watching or recording Letterman's final show this evening? I was never a late night talk show follower or big DL fan. i would occasionally watch Leno especially his Monday "Headlines" feature. I started watching Fallon but his shtick wore off very quickly. It is too much about him and although he is talented in many areas he does terrible interviews. He doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

So as Letterman was getting down to his last weeks we started watching his show. I must say I have enjoyed these last several weeks. Top of the line quests. It has been fun to see how some artists have interacted with Dave these past 33 years and watching them change over time.

Letterman was ahead of his time and so different from Carson or Leno. Now we are left with the dumbing down of late night TV with the likes of Fallon, Kimmel and Conan (is he still on?). I wish my wife would get rid of the TV in the bedroom. I will miss Letterman and really didn't know it 'till the past couple of months.
Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot to hit record.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:36 PM

Default I'm in!

I really enjoyed last night's show with Bill Murray. He just took over and Dave let it all unfold.

One of the things I always liked about Dave Letterman was that he was never mean spirited with his guests, as compared to Leno and O'Brien and the others.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-20-2015, 08:48 PM

Big DL fan and I will miss him greatly. One of the greats retiring and leaving me with less of a reason to buy the bundled cable product at >$200/month! In interview format, the only thing I still like to watch which is a serious interview show is Charlie Rose on PBS @ 11am. Generally smart interviewer and has a curious mind that aids him in guiding the interviews to their natural conclusion.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:27 PM

Will here, or maybe DVR it. He has been better as of late, he kind got flat for a while. I few years ago he was real good.

Wish him all the best Sure he has enough coin to last
Old 05-21-2015, 01:43 AM

Totally like that he didn't do a schmaltzy emotional farewell at the end but kept it classy and funny as always
Old 05-21-2015, 01:57 AM
Legend

Never been a big Letterman fan. Thought his finale was okay, nothing memorable from it that I would talk about a year from now. My favorite part was the flashback to when he ran the Taco Bell.
I actually like Fallon a lot as a host. He really changed how late night is done with doing "skits" with celebs vs just sitting doing the old fashioned interview. Fallon's ratings have been very strong from what I've read.
Krell S-1200U, Bryston Model T, Bryston Model TC1, JL F112 w/ stand, Krell S-1500 Amp, PS Audio P5, OPPO BDP-95, Sony 4K Ultra HD 55"X-850C monitor, Sony PS3, Wireworld cables, Furutech Flux-50 Filter, Stillpoints
Old 05-21-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Totally like that he didn't do a schmaltzy emotional farewell at the end but kept it classy and funny as always
Agree Cyril. Stayed up and watched it.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLuJr View Post
Never been a big Letterman fan. Thought his finale was okay, nothing memorable from it that I would talk about a year from now. My favorite part was the flashback to when he ran the Taco Bell.
I actually like Fallon a lot as a host. He really changed how late night is done with doing "skits" with celebs vs just sitting doing the old fashioned interview. Fallon's ratings have been very strong from what I've read.

Agree He does Neil Young better than Neil Young, man is a mega talent!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:54 AM

I hope those who were recording the show hoping to watch it today added some extra time. The show ran about 20 minutes over its normal time.