AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Balanced Audio Technology

Balanced Audio Technology Balanced Design, Balanced Sound

Old 01-23-2017, 03:53 PM

Default The BAT Sweet Spot

Over the weekend, I auditioned some BAT equipment and was very impressed. It was first time I experienced the "tube sound" and I am smitten. Not 100% sure, but I believe I listened to the VK-55 SE amp and the VK-33 SE preamp. I am considering an amp, preamp and phonostage.

For the BAT fans on the forum, what do you think is the sweet spot in their line up for each of these products? I am looking for the best value for the money not necessarily the absolute best performer.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:56 PM
From the BAT cave ...

I would buy used gear as high up the food chain as I could reach. That is what I did and I have been thrilled with the results.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
I would buy used gear as high up the food chain as I could reach. That is what I did and I have been thrilled with the results.
100% agree. The BAT gear is very reliable, used is the way to go. VK-32se or 52SE preamp and VK-p10 or P10se phonostage along with a pair of VK-150se monoblocks or VK-600se SS stereo amp with the Rockport speaker of your choice would be killer! I've heard three different Rockport/BAT systems and they were all nice.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:

I guess this is where I get into somewhat of a dilemma. I want to support the dealer who introduced me to BAT, but obviously there are opportunities to acquire used gear at lower prices. For example, there is currently a VK-53 SE for sale at a price lower than I can purchase the dealer's VK-33SE demo.

Is there a way to handle this where I can both support the dealer and take advantage of the better pricing?

I plan on buying other equipment from him in the future. Also, I think I will probably need his support services along the way. I'd like to make sure he stays in business.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 PM

I agree with Chessman. I bought my BAT Preamp and phono stage used and am very happy with it. Great sounding gear from the bottom to the top.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:05 AM

I have an opportunity to buy demos of the VK-55SE and VK-33SE. I am tempted to act, but trying to decide if I want to wait longer and go further up the line. On the amp, there is a new model VK-56SE coming in the spring or maybe go for the VK-76SE. On the preamp, the VK-53SE seems to be the next level below the BAT Rex line. The offer on the demos also includes the option to purchase some Rockport Atria speakers. Is anyone on the forum using BAT gear with Rockport? If so, what are your impressions?
Old 01-27-2017, 11:52 AM
From the BAT cave ...

I have not personally heard the BAT/Rockport pairing, but they are often paired. I would settle first on the speaker pair I wanted, then chose the amp/preamp because different speakers have different amp needs. For example a low efficiency speaker needs a high current powerful amp. A very high efficiency speaker lets you get away with a less powerful amp. Since you are flirting with tubes, that matters. A lot of tubes to push a big amp means a lot of heat and a lot of money. For those who love class A single end "flea power" amps, highly efficient speakers are a must. Don't get me wrong, I love BAT, but you need to think of your rig as a system working together, rather than collecting the "best" this and that only to have it sound bad.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I have not personally heard the BAT/Rockport pairing, but they are often paired. I would settle first on the speaker pair I wanted, then chose the amp/preamp because different speakers have different amp needs. For example a low efficiency speaker needs a high current powerful amp. A very high efficiency speaker lets you get away with a less powerful amp. Since you are flirting with tubes, that matters. A lot of tubes to push a big amp means a lot of heat and a lot of money. For those who love class A single end "flea power" amps, highly efficient speakers are a must. Don't get me wrong, I love BAT, but you need to think of your rig as a system working together, rather than collecting the "best" this and that only to have it sound bad.
Sage advice Randy. Agreed 100%
Old 02-05-2017, 02:19 PM

BAT makes great gear. Don't neglect to audition their SS pre-amps. They are exceptional and, depending on your personal preferences in presentation, may end up being something you would like very very well.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:41 PM

You should tell your dealer the exact same thing you stated in your latest post. You might be surprised what they come up with.