AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:07 PM

So looking at my activity monitor on my Mac mini I never use more than 4 % of the cpu of the 2.5 ghz intel core i5 when searching but my ram is maxing out. ; 4.72 gig. Ram is being used for Roon and the os, there is 1.07 gig. being used as a cache. Tempting to upgrade this from 6 gig. ram to 16 gig ram

Last edited by 1KW; 05-14-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:46 PM

Ok it’s done I ordered 16 gig.ram (8 gigx2) for $86 . At the very least I can give the computer to someone but I have a feeling this may do the trick
Old 05-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Another way to improve performance if you haven’t already done so, is to “Clean Library” in the Roon settings menu.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:11 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Ok it’s done I ordered 16 gig.ram (8 gigx2) for $86 . At the very least I can give the computer to someone but I have a feeling this may do the trick
That should be fine, but something I'd recommend is getting a copy of Clean My Mac. Its very good for deleting junk OS files and general housekeeping and also freeing up system RAM. Sometimes the OS has multiple threads running it doesn't really need.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
That should be fine, but something I'd recommend is getting a copy of Clean My Mac. Its very good for deleting junk OS files and general housekeeping and also freeing up system RAM. Sometimes the OS has multiple threads running it doesn't really need.
Ok thanks
Old 05-14-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgens View Post
Another way to improve performance if you haven’t already done so, is to “Clean Library” in the Roon settings menu.
Thanks , just did that, there were 160 items
Old 05-14-2019, 06:35 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Thanks , just did that, there were 160 items
Yep, its very useful; I just recovered 4.14 GB of disk space from junk OS files that were flushed.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
TBH, I don't see where an LPS or super-clean SMPS power supply would benefit a Roon Nucleus or a NUC (or Mac Mini) serving as a Roon Core. All its doing is running the Roon Core and pulling digital files and sending the biitstream them via Ethernet, Wifi or fiber to a streamer or network bridge. I think the most important and beneficial thing is to have the Nucleus, NUC or Mac Mini in another part of the house, and nowhere near the audio rack.
I don't see why you can't put the Nucleus+ near your audio rack — it is fanless.

One benefit — the Nucleus+ has USB to connect directly to your DAC while the SonicTransporter i7 does not.

If doing Roon DSD upsampling the i7 is recommended.

My position is to get as much horsepower today because you may need it in the future.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 05-14-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
I don't see why you can't put the Nucleus+ near your audio rack — it is fanless.

One benefit — the Nucleus+ has USB to connect directly to your DAC while the SonicTransporter i7 does not.

My position is to get as much horsepower today because you may need it in the future.

Ron
I do the same thing with my NUC even though it has a fan: put in the audio rack, use USB. I don't see any issue. But I can tell you that many people believe USB is the worst thing ever devised and that you should use network bridges only.

I tried the basic MicroRendu once, but couldn't hear any difference from my USB. Perhaps the higher-end versions are better but I don't know.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post

Ron
Ah, that's because it has a high-bandwidth CPU spewing lots of garbage-y noise, including EMI and RF, all over the place. Its the high-bandwidth noise that's the worst. For example, this high-bandwidth noise can be picked up by the speaker wires, acting literally as antennas, and be fed backwards into the power amp, to be amplified again as noise. John Atkinson wrote a good article about this some years ago. This is why its good to put any computers as far away from the audio rack as possible.

As far as horsepower, Roon really doesn't need a lot because its not really doing much that is actually CPU intensive. Its not like editing 4K 60P 4:2:2 video or anything close to that with respect to demanding a lot from a processor. Its just pulling a set of audio files from a drive, sending them to a streamer or network bridge, and loading metadata for viewing on a remote app. I can see having a i7 for upsampling DSD but, really, not many folks are doing that in the grand scheme of things. Redbook 16/44 is by far the largest proportion of content, probably 99.5% of all the content that is played on Roon, particularly when used with Tidal. YMMV, of course.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-14-2019 at 08:09 PM.