AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 07-20-2022, 07:35 PM

Congratulations Charles. I know you're on cloud 9 with your system. While not on the same power level, I can tell you my 1502 is one sweet sounding puppy. I can't ever imagine giving it up.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 07-21-2022, 01:29 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I absolutely remember thinking how similar they sounded through my DQ10's (Upgraded to the better woofer and super tweeter).
Best
Charles
Spent a couple of hours yesterday at a friend's house listening to his updated DQ-10s with the original stands. One of their best attributes is their ability to sound decent at low listening levels. He drives his with a pair of 6550-based Luxman mono-block amps. Very pleasant system.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-21-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Spent a couple of hours yesterday at a friend's house listening to his updated DQ-10s with the original stands. One of their best attributes is their ability to sound decent at low listening levels. He drives his with a pair of 6550-based Luxman mono-block amps. Very pleasant system.
I had a pair of DQ 20's that I sold a few years ago. Utterly not the same speaker.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 07-21-2022, 09:10 AM

Ha! This thread is a great reminder that none of us ever escape the human condition. Charles has what must be one of the very best systems in the world (are there even 10 or 20 homes in the US that have comparable systems?), his amps are not even a year old, and "helpful" readers offer upgrade advice?...

Charles, so glad you're satisfied, and so glad you share for our vicarious pleasure--rock on!
Old 07-21-2022, 03:27 PM

Peter I thank you and Joe for your compliments so much. I hope my comments on the MC3500 might entice someone to buy a pair. I think they would be amazed. One property of Mac not generally appreciated is that published specifications are minimum specs. Unlike other tube amps that are fortunate to meet their published power specs, Mac gear easily exceed their published specs. A tube amp with no fan that runs cool, exceeds 500 watts continuous, with S/N > 120 dB and damping factor of >25 is unheard of. And the amp to my ears sounds like it. I would enjoy very much observing the pleasure of someone taking the risk and buying a pair.

The glory of the DQ10 didn't last very long because Jon Dalquist was unable IMO to design a successful improved model, though he did design later models. The DQ10 was a wonderful speaker, a one off of a kind. I owned a pair of DQ1W's and his electronic crossover. I could never get it to sound right despite my best efforts. The lowest register of male voice was never right, still an issue with many subs, if you listen carefully. Any sub that alters the male voice is a non starter with me.

So I moved on, but the DQ10 remains one of my very favorite vintage speakers. I had my hi fi in my living room back in that day along with my MC275, C-33, and Luxman direct drive turntable and (I think) Grace Arm and Ruby cartridge?

Best

Charles