AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Tools, Storage, and Power

Tools, Storage, and Power Getting the Job Done Right

Old 03-11-2014, 06:13 PM

Default Air Purifiers

Anyone have any recommendations for economical air purifiers?

I'm looking at the Winix WAC9500 but I'm open to any recommendations:

The best reviewed seems to be the IQ Air but its also the most expensive topping $1200.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM

We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification system built into our furnace. The system attacks all three classes of indoor air contaminants:
-Small, breathable particles such as dust, dirt, pollen and allergens
-Airborne mold spores, bacteria and viruses
-Odors and chemical vapors

It contains both filters and UV lighting.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Bodhisattva

Hi Derek, I went through the same process as you looking for the best performing and highest quality purifier I could afford. I previously owned a smaller Ion Ace purifier which ultimately was unreliable and was struggling to cover the area of my 2 level apartment. When I decided to upgrade, I discussed options with my local Air Purifier business. They showed me the IQ air which was the most expensive option, but as they said it is really designed for larger volumes. The next option they showed me were a range of Swedish-designed purifiers by Blueair. What impressed me with the Blueair purifiers is their high build quality, looks & cost/performance. They are constructed of powder-coated galvanized steel and very well built. They are quiet enough to be placed next to your bed or in your listening room, are energy efficient, and use very large, heavy duty filters. They also offer an optional activated carbon smokestop filter which, like the regular activated carbon polypropylene filter captures 99.97 of airborne particles and filters down to 0.1 of a micron.

Long story short, in my split-level loft, I opted to buy 2 purifiers rather than 1 larger unit and went for a Blueair 203 for downstairs, and Blueair 270E for upstairs. The 270E has a digital display which has 3 cool features; firstly an 'automatic' function which uses auto sensors that constantly measure air quality and automatically adjusts the speed to cope with either the dust or chemical contaminants, timer, and also a very useful function which displays filter days remaining and warning light to indicate when to change the filter (every 6 months). As I bought my units at the same time, I only need the one sensor to remind me when to replace both filters...cool!

However if you're looking for one unit to cover a larger area, Blueair offer the larger 400 series and 500 series.

Cheers,

Last edited by jdandy; 03-11-2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Active links to non-sponsor sellers against forum rules.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Hi Derek, I went through the same process as you looking for the best performing and highest quality purifier I could afford. I previously owned a smaller Ion Ace purifier which ultimately was unreliable and was struggling to cover the area of my 2 level apartment. When I decided to upgrade, I discussed options with my local Air Purifier business. They showed me the IQ air which was the most expensive option, but as they said it is really designed for larger volumes. The next option they showed me were a range of Swedish-designed purifiers by Blueair. What impressed me with the Blueair purifiers is their high build quality, looks & cost/performance. They are constructed of powder-coated galvanized steel and very well built. They are quiet enough to be placed next to your bed or in your listening room, are energy efficient, and use very large, heavy duty filters. They also offer an optional activated carbon smokestop filter which, like the regular activated carbon polypropylene filter captures 99.97 of airborne particles and filters down to 0.1 of a micron.

Long story short, in my split-level loft, I opted to buy 2 purifiers rather than 1 larger unit and went for a Blueair 203 for downstairs, and Blueair 270E for upstairs. The 270E has a digital display which has 3 cool features; firstly an 'automatic' function which uses auto sensors that constantly measure air quality and automatically adjusts the speed to cope with either the dust or chemical contaminants, timer, and also a very useful function which displays filter days remaining and warning light to indicate when to change the filter (every 6 months). As I bought my units at the same time, I only need the one sensor to remind me when to replace both filters...cool!

However if you're looking for one unit to cover a larger area, Blueair offer the larger 400 series and 500 series.

Cheers,
I was also looking at the Blueair units so its nice to get some positive feedback. The features of the 270E is what I'm looking for. The price of the 203 is also what I'm looking for

It's for a single room where my 2-ch system is located. The previous owners of this house must have had a dog or cat (or both egad) which I'm generally highly allergic to. Despite steam cleaning and constant vacuuming I still get an allergic reaction. Needless to say this dampens my listening experience. The eventual plan is to just replace the carpet but we want to wait for the kids to get a bit older.

I'll give the 270E a try, thanks for the advice!

Last edited by jdandy; 03-11-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Remove active links from quote.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Bodhisattva

Hand on heart Derek, I think you'll be really happy with the 270E. I have one in my bedroom and can't even hear it operating. Of course, if I consciously focus on it, I can. But you know what I mean. Also my backdoor backs onto our building's carpark, and being mindful of my health and also a bit allergic to things like dust and pollen, i've found the smokestop filters a Godsend and well worth the small upcharge. Btw, I am also considering adding a Negative ioniser in the future which helps enhance dust and odour removal. Negative ionisation also has other health benefits such as improving breathing and sleep. The unit i'm considering is the
the Vortex 2500. Let us know how your Blueair unit goes

Cheers,

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 03-11-2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: removed active link
Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Bodhisattva

Isn't she a beauty!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:31 PM

I am living in Beijing where you really need the best one... I did a lot of research and tested a couple that my friends had.... IQ Air all the way!

2CH: D’Agostino Momentum's, Audio Research REF40, Wilson Alexia's, SME 30/2, ARC REF2 SE, Meridian 808V5, Transparent REF XL

HT: B&W 800Ds, HTM1D, B&W 802N, (2) Mc 601's MC 303, (2) JL F113s, Meridian 861V8, Sony VPL-VW500ES 4K projector, 120" Stewart SST 130, Oppo 93, 65 inch Panasonic.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Chuck
I Bejing you will probably require several of those.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:10 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-10 Viper View Post
I am living in Beijing where you really need the best one... I did a lot of research and tested a couple that my friends had.... IQ Air all the way!
Yeah i've seen on the news how bad the pollution is in Beijing. It's almost a matter of life and death, so yes cost would be no object if I lived there and I would go straight for the best which is definitely IQAir. Although I live in the inner city, Melbourne doesn't suffer the same problems with air quality, so for me the combination of nice Swedish design, energy efficiency, size, quietness & effective filtering of airborne particles (to 0.1 micron) including dust, pollen, bacteria, gaseous pollutants & VOC's was just the ticket & covers an area up to 45m2
Old 03-14-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for economical air purifiers?

I'm looking at the Winix WAC9500 but I'm open to any recommendations:

The best reviewed seems to be the IQ Air but its also the most expensive topping $1200.

You simply can't beat the Winix for the money! I bought two last year and my allergy problem has become almost non existent and manageable and home is a safe haven during allergy season and being in dusty environments. One is in the living/listening room and runs on low during playback sessions and good luck hearing it. If like me you leave your gear on , its also a great way to keep air circulating in the room and not mention far , far less dust. Get the Winix save some cash and breath easy and listen more.

Oh mine has the washable Hepa filter which is every 6 months and the carbon as well which gets replaced every 3 months, but the unit came with 3

Last edited by Audiofan1; 03-15-2014 at 01:52 AM. Reason: spelling