AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Movies

Movies Past, Current & Future

Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Listener in Training

The scenery and effects were great, although to Jim's point the plot was weak. My 13-year-old was laughing at the plot and we did have some snorers near us. It would be nice if Cameron could come up with a plot/screenplay that was worthy of the special effects. Seeing the first 2/3rds on an IMAX screen would be a treat, and Sigourney Weaver still looks pretty darn good - it's been 30 years since Alien(?!).
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 12-27-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
and Sigourney Weaver still looks pretty darn good - it's been 30 years since Alien
... but no underwear shot
Old 01-02-2010, 07:22 PM

I watched it this week in IMAX. It was amazing. I can't wait to watch it again on Blu-ray 2D for a different experience.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
I watched it this week in IMAX. It was amazing. I can't wait to watch it again on Blu-ray 2D for a different experience.
I just saw it. Amazing technology, stunning images, but a weak and 100% predictable story IMO. Also at least 20 minutes too long (more like 40.)

While watching, I closed one of my eyes a few times to see (roughly) what it would look like in 2D (just doing this experiment indicates that the plot was not getting my attention.)

While I am impressed with the technology, imagination and images, I don't think I'll ever need to see this movie again - but I am looking forward to seeing other movies with better plots made with this technology.

What really surprises me is that there was real genius and creativity in the crafting the major and minor details of the alien world and almost none in the story itself.

I will be watching "Moon" a few more times in the future, but you'd have to drug me and tie me to a chair to make me watch Avatar again - especially without 3D.

Alberto
Old 01-02-2010, 09:01 PM

Heading in to see it in a couple hours. Will post my thoughts but from what I have read, Alberto is pretty much saying what the critics are saying.

MX-136, C2300, MC602s(2), MC207, MCD500, MS750, MR88, Pioneer Elite BR, JL Gothams (2), GR research LS6s and LS-9s soon, Wireworld Cables, Dedicated 20amp circuits, Lots of Cerwin Vegas and Onkyo gear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-03-2010, 02:46 AM

Well, I was prepared to not like it but not because of anything the movie critics said.

I read that the story line was essentially "white men, after raping their own planet came to do the same here, of course trashing the indigenous peoples in doing so" ala dances with wolves meets star wars. This plot is getting old for me.

and technically, that is the movie (including the G.W. Bush quotes) but it really is much more. The CGI is incredible and the story, although formulaic, was good. I even thought the acting was good.

I was able to get past the tired formula mentioned above quickly. I give it a thumbs up and recommend seeing it, in 3D if possible. Even though I had to pee badly towards the end, it did not feel too long to me.

MX-136, C2300, MC602s(2), MC207, MCD500, MS750, MR88, Pioneer Elite BR, JL Gothams (2), GR research LS6s and LS-9s soon, Wireworld Cables, Dedicated 20amp circuits, Lots of Cerwin Vegas and Onkyo gear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-03-2010, 05:04 AM

I like the movie...it is a fairytale for the modern age.

Pandora is the main character and shines.

The plot is simple, not weak...and still my nephews (age 17 and 19) didn't get it.

I was thinking the whole time "Those that do not learn from history are bound to repeat it".

I think it was a deliberate choice by James Cameron to keep the plot simple...IMHO, it does have some powerful moments though...When Jake Sully says the prayer after his first kill, it really touched me.

I'm curious if this movie will be as captivating in 2D on BluRay.

I'm definitely going to see it again on the big screen.

Last edited by JemHadar; 01-03-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:01 AM

My wife and I went to see the non 3D version simply because the 3D version keeps selling out.

There is no doubt that the plot is entirely predictable. Makes you think they are talking about the ravaging of our own Amazon forests.

Having said that I enjoyed the movies because of the imagery, scenery and the special effects.

I believe we will see more and more 3D films coming and each will get better each time.

Can you imagine Master and Commander in 3D? Better have some 'barf' bags handy!!

I give it a thumbs up.... I found as enjoyable to watch as the Star Wars Saga, or the Star Trek movies.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:48 AM

It certainly made me want a 3D projector. I saw it at a Classic IMAX. They seriously need to upgrade to circular polarized glasses, at the very minimum. It's nice to have a huge screen and high resolution, but when the image is blurry because of the crappy 3D presentation, it nullifies the benefit of the resolution and huge screen and makes viewing uncomfortable at times. I think most people don't complain because they expect this at a 3D showing. It seems the experience is better at digital theaters, however they have other drawbacks, the main one being a low 2K resolution at many screens. I'm going to go back and see it in digital to compare despite this. Sony has a new 4K projector out but it's not widely deployed yet.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:56 AM

Went to see Avatar 3D for a second time with friends.

I was curious if a second viewing would still captivate me.

...well, it did big time...

Knowing the story allowed me to focus more on the complete frames...from a visual point of view, edits, pace, framing, (virtual) cinematography this movie is astounding.

Although I was fully aware Pandora is a completely rendered world...I could not find details that would burst the bubble...au contraire...there are many tiny details that, during a first viewing, must work on a subliminal level to fool the brain in believing this is a real living breathing world.

...did notice some continuity errors though

I think James Cameron is on to something.

In between these two Avatar viewings we went to see 2012...enjoyable as this movie is, my significant other and myself did find the whole thing a bit...euh...flat...pun intended.

We both would love to see more 3D features, done right.

Apparently...The Matrix, and the first LOTR will get a 3D make-over...the technology to transform a 2D to 3D picture is being refined right now.

...I'm not ruling out that we will go see Avatar for a third time later this year...the last time a movie made such an impression on me was Star Wars.

Well done James