AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 05-08-2009, 08:10 AM

Upgrading just the brick may be a more economical way of upgrading speaker cables, anyone tried this as I see it is an option ?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uberoller View Post
Upgrading just the brick may be a more economical way of upgrading speaker cables, anyone tried this as I see it is an option ?
If you mean the network box along the cable, I do not think that is possible. I am not sure they would sell just the box either.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
If you mean the network box along the cable, I do not think that is possible. I am not sure they would sell just the box either.
They advertise it on the web site for in wall speaker wires
Old 05-08-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
They advertise it on the web site for in wall speaker wires
I am not sure what you mean can you copy the address. I know they sell power products.

I see something on the price sheet but nothing else.
Jim

Last edited by Still-One; 05-08-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Transparent Audio - Transparent Cable Upgrades and Updates for Interconnects, Speaker Cables, and Power Cords

I have to say that from what I have read about transparent cables the number one justification for the price they charge is due to the trade up program. Knowing the psychology of the average audiophile they count on the lu flu to bring them recurring buisness. I hate to be a stick in the mud but you are more likely to get a bigger improvement in sound spending the thousands on speaker upgrades and room treatments. I think Serge mentioned 28 grand for a set of these cables , now take that money and buy 28 grand speakers compared to the old speakers with the cables and tell me which sounds better. The filters in these cables do make sense ie RF can interfere however they can't have more than a few dollars in electronics making up those filters and that is what I find offensive.

Last edited by 1KW; 05-08-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Transparent Audio - Transparent Cable Upgrades and Updates for Interconnects, Speaker Cables, and Power Cords

I have to say that from what I have read about transparent cables the number one justification for the price they charge is due to the trade up program. Knowing the psychology of the average audiophile they count on the lu flu to bring them recurring buisness. I hate to be a stick in the mud but you are more likely to get a bigger improvement in sound spending the thousands on speaker upgrades and room treatments. I think Serge mentioned 28 grand for a set of these cables , now take that money and buy 28 grand speakers compared to the old speakers with the cables and tell me which sounds better. The filters in these cables do make sense ie RF can interfere however they can't have more than a few dollars in electronics making up those filters and that is what I find offensive.
I will PM you.
Jim
Old 05-08-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Here you go again with the skeptisism. No one is forcing you to spend any money on cables. If you don't believe, leave it alone for now. Eventually you will discover the benefits, if not, oh well, it wasn't meant to be.

While I wouldn't spend that kind of money on cables for my current system, I did get a glimpse of what is possible. If my system will ever reach a level of where the $28k worth of cables would be justifiable in proportion to everything else, I wouldn't think twice now that I know what they are capable of. YMMV.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:54 PM

It's not just the parts, there is considerable labor involved in testing and matching as well as the original engineering/design. Not that I agree any cable set should cost $28K, but I certainly think saying it's only a few dollars worth of parts is minimizing what's involved. By the same logic what makes a pair of WP8 worth $30k? Once you've done the room and power treatments small differences illuminated by things like cables are for more obvious.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=PHC1;12878]Here you go again with the skeptisism. No one is forcing you to spend any money on cables.

Very true I am a cable skeptic because my experience has been quite different when it comes to cables . I would however like nothing more than to appreciate the value these ad to a system the way many audiophiles here do. I wonder why live musicians or even in studio's do not use exorbitant priced cables.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I wonder why live musicians or even in studio's do not use exorbitant priced cables.
I am not commenting on whether cablesmake any difference or not, becaus I already have on another thread here...

But I would like to point out that if you follow this line of reasoning, you must ask why we audiophiles dont use JBL and EAW speakers, or (I know there are exceptions) Crown amps. If that is what live musicians use, then why dont audiophiles?

As for the Studios...Here is a mastering studio that uses Wilsons.
AudiogoN Forums: Mastering the posibilities!

He uses JPS Aluminata. 1 meter is 3k.

Here is a Stereophile review of them, and the total cost of cables reviewed is over 40k. Read it for yourself and decide if it is marketing or a genuine increase in performance.
Stereophile: JPS Labs Aluminata interconnect, speaker cable, AC cord