AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 11-01-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrm View Post
Thanks enit. Cool. I am very happy with bass and mid. I think high is too bright. I kept the treble on 0. May be it helps if I take it down to -1. On separate note, why can't I start new thread? I can't even do intro. Thanks in advance.
Yeah, take it down to 0 if it's too bright. It's there for your use anyway. The Focal speakers are known to need a pretty long run in time. When they do, they are simply beautiful.

I'm not too sure on starting a new thread. Been too many years, I don't remember.

I'm mostly on my iPhone anyway, it's easy to navigate.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 PM

Hi guys
I am in Oz and have a Scala V2 on order . I will have to wait a month to get them , Im told . It is great to read about your impressions of these speakers . All the more excited now . My only concern is about the amplification. I will be using a Conrad Johnson ET5 pre and an ET250s amplifier . Not sure if it will be sufficient to do these speakers justice . Any thoughts will be appreciated . Thanks
Old 12-17-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab77 View Post
Hi guys I am in Oz and have a Scala V2 on order . I will have to wait a month to get them , Im told . It is great to read about your impressions of these speakers . All the more excited now . My only concern is about the amplification. I will be using a Conrad Johnson ET5 pre and an ET250s amplifier . Not sure if it will be sufficient to do these speakers justice . Any thoughts will be appreciated . Thanks
I'm sure there are some advantages in the CJs amplification. But I'm also sure it won't give you the dynamics the V2 can truly produce.

You'll love the mid range detail, and the soundstage- provided you've got the speakers toe-Ed in right, and the placement right too.

It's easy to drive the speakers, but it's not easy to control them. Many amplifiers aren't able to deliver on the varying impedances across the frequency response demanded from the speaker, we ought to note that the amplifiers specifications are based on the minimum impedances, ie 8 ohms across full freq. that, in reality is never the case.

I am excited for you on the purchase of the V2, they are really really fantastic speakers. If I were you, I would live with the CJ & Focal for about a year, before deciding if you need a new set of gear to bring out the best of the V2.

Personally, I vote McIntosh C500&MC601 in solid state for fidelity, control, power. And never neglect your sources too. Use Tchernov Cables, reference series, throughout the system.

Thanks.

PS: I don't think CJ plays well with others coz of bal input configuration. Hot and ground might be swapped. So if you're thinking of swapping one in the interim, it might not work. What are you using for source?

Old 12-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Hi Enit,
Thanks for your reply . I get your point about being able to control the speakers with finesse . It would be sad to change the gear from CJ because I will truly miss the holographic soundstage , great mids , etc . t
The 1 yr plan seems like a good idea .

Your feedback got me investigating the Tchernov cables . I spoke to a dealer here who said he would send me some with the speakers to try them out at home. Im just not sure about their pricing for the reference range. Im surprised there are no reviews/ other feedback about them or a price list to use as a guide . i guess they are sleepers then .

Im currently using Macbook pro - JriverMC- audiolab M-DAC or Oppo BDP 95 analog for Cds , Sacds.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Hi Enit, Thanks for your reply . I get your point about being able to control the speakers with finesse . It would be sad to change the gear from CJ because I will truly miss the holographic soundstage , great mids , etc . t The 1 yr plan seems like a good idea . Your feedback got me investigating the Tchernov cables . I spoke to a dealer here who said he would send me some with the speakers to try them out at home. Im just not sure about their pricing for the reference range. Im surprised there are no reviews/ other feedback about them or a price list to use as a guide . i guess they are sleepers then . Im currently using Macbook pro - JriverMC- audiolab M-DAC or Oppo BDP 95 analog for Cds , Sacds.
They are very well reviewed in Europe.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enit View Post
They are very well reviewed in Europe. Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Here is one of the review

http://www.excelia-hifi.cz/focal/tes...itic_05_13.pdf

Just watch out of the impedance!

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Goldmund 32.5, Goldmund Apologue Anniversary, MC1.2kw, PS10, MT5 (Miyajima Zero), Linn LP12SE (EKOS SE, Kandid, Radikal Klimak, Urika), Raven AC3 (Reed 3P, Miyajima Kansui, Durand Talea II, MC Anna), TechDAS Airforce One (Durand Talea, Anna Diamond), ARC Ref Phono 10, Miyajima ETR Mono, Vivaldi DCS, Vivaldi Upsampler, Vivaldi Clock, Valhalla 2 SC & IC, Transparent MM2 Ultra and Reference IC
Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 PM

On the review , Martin Colloms recommends using speaker cables of " low impedence" . Any suggestions as to which cables these may be? I would have thought most pure copper cables would qualify , but I may be wrong here.

Also , has anyone managed to get ultra tight connections on their scalas ? He recommends using a wrench for this purpose and felt it is of utmost importance with these speakers.

Thanks
Sabu
Old 01-12-2014, 09:33 PM

Low impedance? You could have the cables measured, or, one way of playing it safe, is to use really thick cables. Low in AWG.

Someone I know did the same on his terminals with good results, but that was with a V1. I've not heard anyone say this on a V2 personally.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 AM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts . These were mentioned in the review of the Scala V2 on the link posted above . Apparently these measures help boost dynamics with the V2 .
Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Also , has anyone managed to get ultra tight connections on their scalas ? He recommends using a wrench for this purpose and felt it is of utmost importance with these speakers. Thanks Sabu
Yes I use wrench. It came loose many times if i just use my hand.

I never listen v1 but V2 has enough bass to me which is apparently the biggest 'improvement' Focal claimed of V2 over V1.

BTW i use mcintosh SC. I tried nordost valhalla 2 and found it too bright for me.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Goldmund 32.5, Goldmund Apologue Anniversary, MC1.2kw, PS10, MT5 (Miyajima Zero), Linn LP12SE (EKOS SE, Kandid, Radikal Klimak, Urika), Raven AC3 (Reed 3P, Miyajima Kansui, Durand Talea II, MC Anna), TechDAS Airforce One (Durand Talea, Anna Diamond), ARC Ref Phono 10, Miyajima ETR Mono, Vivaldi DCS, Vivaldi Upsampler, Vivaldi Clock, Valhalla 2 SC & IC, Transparent MM2 Ultra and Reference IC