AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 03-17-2015, 12:36 AM

Caelin:
Assuming I will either upgrade to Triton 2 from Triton or add Typhon (realizing a large cost differential between the 2) which would you recommend and why?
Incidentally, the Sigma HC is outstanding and brought my amp to a level I never thought possible.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,

Last edited by jpgr4blu; 03-17-2015 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
Caelin: Assuming I will either upgrade to Triton 2 from Triton or add Typhon (realizing a large cost differential between the 2) which would you recommend and why? Incidentally, the Sigma HC is outstanding and brought my amp to a level I never thought possible.
I have been asked this question several times. It is a close call and is sometimes dependent upon your system. But as I have said many times - the TYPHON is special.

Get the TYPHON and then save up for the upgrade to TRITON v2.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:25 PM

Hi Caelin, Does any of your products reduce or eliminate DC offset?

It seems that transformer hum is failry common due to DC offset, but very few products address this problem.

Is this because of complexity and compromise to sound quality?

Your insight in this difficult to research topic would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Douglas
Old 05-20-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Hi Caelin, Does any of your products reduce or eliminate DC offset?

It seems that transformer hum is failry common due to DC offset, but very few products address this problem.

Is this because of complexity and compromise to sound quality?

Your insight in this difficult to research topic would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Douglas
First, almost all real world power lines have some degree of DC offset. It is usually quite small - below one volt. It can also an issue for balanced power isolation transformers.

Low levels of DC offset is not a problem for most component's power supplies. It is primarily a problem for power supplies that use certain brands of toroidal power transformers. They are particularly sensitive to even low levels of DC offset. In my opinion, this is a design problem for the manufacturer of the product not something that should be fixed after the fact or with an add-on product. This is just one of the reasons that many designers that I know prefer to use a traditional E type power transformer. This doesn't mean power supplies with toroidal power supplies are bad - it just means that this issue needs to be addressed in the design.

A simple circuit composed of rectifiers can easily eliminate DC offset at the input to the component. I have a good design for this if someone needs to build one. The reason some components don't have it is probably because it adds complexity and cost to the product. Additionally, there will be an impact on performance due to the rectifier and thermal noise generated. However, if a manufacturer has this particular problem it should be addressed within the design of the power supply. JMO of course.

DC offset can also be removed with an isolation transformer assuming that the output of the transformer itself is properly balanced But this seems a bit silly that you would have to run AC through an external transformer because the AC transformer in the component hums.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
First, almost all real world power lines have some degree of DC offset. It is usually quite small - below one volt. It can also an issue for balanced power isolation transformers.

Low levels of DC offset is not a problem for most component's power supplies. It is primarily a problem for power supplies that use certain brands of toroidal power transformers. They are particularly sensitive to even low levels of DC offset. In my opinion, this is a design problem for the manufacturer of the product not something that should be fixed after the fact or with an add-on product. This is just one of the reasons that many designers that I know prefer to use a traditional E type power transformer. This doesn't mean power supplies with toroidal power supplies are bad - it just means that this issue needs to be addressed in the design.

A simple circuit composed of rectifiers can easily eliminate DC offset at the input to the component. I have a good design for this if someone needs to build one. The reason some components don't have it is probably because it adds complexity and cost to the product. Additionally, there will be an impact on performance due to the rectifier and thermal noise generated. However, if a manufacturer has this particular problem it should be addressed within the design of the power supply. JMO of course.

DC offset can also be removed with an isolation transformer assuming that the output of the transformer itself is properly balanced But this seems a bit silly that you would have to run AC through an external transformer because the AC transformer in the component hums.
Thank you Caelin, very interesting.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:41 PM

Caelin, I haven't seen you post here and elsewhere for some time. I hope all is fine, and you are just getting away from Internet insanity. Your products are now working so well in my stereo that I have zero desire to add/change anything.

I'm looking forward to receiving my Venom speaker cables for the HT.

--------------------------------------------
Bud

Lumin S1
Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 speakers

Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon for source, Cyclops v2 (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:06 PM

This DC offset that was being discussed, is this heard from the actual power units themselves or as noise be that hum or hiss through your speakers?
Old 10-21-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
This DC offset that was being discussed, is this heard from the actual power units themselves or as noise be that hum or hiss through your speakers?
It was specifically related to transformer hum, which is generally caused by DC offset.

I bought a power cord that rebalances the AC sine wave, and it stopped the hum in the transformers and improved SQ at the same time. In my case it was very loud and could be heard from my listening seat.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:53 PM

Ah very interesting, thanks. My Furman IT-Reference has always buzzed and like you can be heard from the seating position when all gear is off or during quieter passages on tv/moves, etc.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:22 PM

At the time of my 911mk3 ownership, there was quite nasty powertransformer hum too, especially during parts of the day. I guess thats why the Burmester 948 especially adresses the residue DC from the grid.

Huge Shunyata powercord fanboy in the meantime with the Alpha HC.
Got it well-done on the cablecooker for some two weeks, but after inserting in the poweramp it still took some weeks to finally stabilise. You just be very patient with this one..
Alpha HC is one of the very best powercords I ever owned, anticipating on ordering Digital and Analog version too. Superb stuff to say the least!