AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
It isn't a dedicated line if there is more than one outlet on the line. That is a normal house wiring line. You can always disconnect the line from the first outlet that feeds the next outlet, etc. Then you would have a dedicated line, and two other outlets that do not work.
Okay, so the word dedicated means there are no other outlets on that line. What I have is a newly installed 20 amp line to which two other outlets are connected, three outlets total. From what I gathered on this forum, this arrangement was better than more than one dedicated lines in order to avoid what might be phasing issues, etc.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:50 PM

Yes, it probably is mostly semantics.

On my dedicated line I have a Triton plugged into one outlet port, and that gives me 8 more ports for other gear. Then I have a Cyclops plugged into the other outlet port, and that provides 2 ports for the amps. I suspect this is better than having 10 outlets off the same line, or 10 dedicated lines. It certainly is much more practical.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
Yes, it probably is mostly semantics.

On my dedicated line I have a Triton plugged into one outlet port, and that gives me 8 more ports for other gear. Then I have a Cyclops plugged into the other outlet port, and that provides 2 ports for the amps. I suspect this is better than having 10 outlets off the same line, or 10 dedicated lines. It certainly is much more practical.
Okay, very good. I see what you're doing there. I'm running everything off the Hydra AV, which has 8 ports. But it is not currently in the primary outlet, the one coming in the house on 12 gauge wire. Rather, it is in the third of three outlets, the second two of which are connected in series on 14 gauge wire.

I might experiment and move it to the primary outlet. But for now I have moved my equipment against a side wall rather than "between the speakers" where the primary outlet resides, and it's going fine. I'm currently less concerned with vibrations bothering the equipment (Hydra AV, two amps, preamp and player) when they are not sitting between the speakers than when the equipment was residing between the speakers. But I'm still experimenting.

Last edited by MisterBritt; 11-19-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:36 AM

Britt - you're still ahead, even with 3 outlets on the 'dedicated' line, you still have some isolation from the main house circuit where your fridge and other appliances with noisy switches and relays operate.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Times View Post
Britt - you're still ahead, even with 3 outlets on the 'dedicated' line, you still have some isolation from the main house circuit where your fridge and other appliances with noisy switches and relays operate.
Yes, that's what I think, too. I could hear the improvement when I had the line installed and plugged in to it. Also, thus far I have had nothing but a single Hydra AV plugged in any of the outlets. I don't have other stuff, lamps, TV -- whatever --, plugged in to that 20 amp line. Just the single Hydra AV.

However, it occures to me that one day I might want to try a Cyclops on that same line in one of the outlets and run an extended balanced IC between the preamp and the amps, offset by shorter speaker cables. But I'm nowhere near that experiment. I've still got PCs on burn-in adaptors and a fan. Ha.

Last edited by MisterBritt; 11-20-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 PM

I have a dumb, newbie-ish question. I have finally mustered the courage to ask it. As preamble, let me say that I have spent an enormous amount of time on the Shunyata website. My understanding is that the Triton and the Typhon were made for each other. More specifically, the Typhon was made to mate with the Triton via a dedicated umbilical cord. So far so good? I get lost easily. And not having seen these units save for faceplate photos, I don't really get that "dedicated umbilical cord," but let's press on.

If I were starting from scratch and had plenty of it -- scratch, that is -- I would be inclined to go with the Triton/Typhon marriage made in heaven. However, I have begun my Shunyata Power Distribution journey with a single Hydra AV. I am delighted with it. I like how the outlets are directed up rather than out the back. That works for me.

From what I have gleaned from the Shunyata website, the Typhon houses two massive noise isolation chambers which, when mated with the Triton, really up the performance where power distribution is concerned. Under the paragraph titled, What the Typhon Delivers, the first sentence is:

"When connected to the Triton, the Hydra Typhon triples the volume of the Noise Isolation Chambers within the Triton."

My dumb question is whether the benefits of the Typhon can be captured if the Typhon were connected to an unused outlet on the Hydra AV rather than a Triton. Is it possible to substitute the Hydra AV for the Triton? Or am I off in my own private Idaho here?

Last edited by MisterBritt; 01-02-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
I have a dumb, newbie-ish question. I have finally mustered the courage to ask it. As preamble, let me say that I have spent an enormous amount of time on the Shunyata website. My understanding is that the Triton and the Typhon were made for each other. More specifically, the Typhon was made to mate with the Triton via a dedicated umbilical cord. So far so good? I get lost easily. If I were starting from scratch and had plenty of it -- scratch, that is -- I would be inclined to go with the Triton/Typhon marriage made in heaven. However, I have begun my Shunyata Power Distribution journey with a single Hydra AV. I am delighted with it. I like how the outlets are directed up rather than out the back. That works for me. From what I have gleaned from the Shunyata website, the Typhon houses two massive noise isolation chambers which, when mated with the Triton, really up the performance where power distribution is concerned. Under the paragraph titled, What the Typhon Delivers, the first sentence is: "When connected to the Triton, the Hydra Typhon triples the volume of the Noise Isolation Chambers within the Triton." My dumb question is whether the benefits of the Typhon can be captured if the Typhon were connected to an unused outlet on the Hydra AV rather than a Triton. Is it possible to substitute the Hydra AV for the Triton? Or am I off in my own private Idaho here?
Yes, the Typhon will work just fine with the HYDRA AV. Technically, you don't even need a power distributor if you don't need the outets. Some people are using a Typhon into an in-wall quad-plex (four outlets).
Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Yes, the Typhon will work just fine with the HYDRA AV. Technically, you don't even need a power distributor if you don't need the outets. Some people are using a Typhon into an in-wall quad-plex (four outlets).
1. So the Typhon will work with any of the HYDRA models or only the HYDRA Reference?

2. Also, this would not work with a PS8 would it?

3. Finally as described it can be used with a quad plex, but how would it connect?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:21 AM

1. Yes, the NICs will benefit all models.
2. It will work with PS8.
3. Caelin made a description on how to wire a quadplex, search. Then connect the Typhon to any free outlet on the quadplex.

Now obviously the lower end models do have less MPD's and smaller or no NIC's to begin with. The current in Triton passes the three larger NIC's both inbound (current draw) and outbound (feedback from connected components). Then there is the inline 2 MPD's. So you won't get a Triton+Typhon out of a Hydra AV+Typhon, but you will receive the same type of benefits.

Last edited by Crion; 01-03-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:35 AM

The important point here is that plugging a Typhon into a wall outlet will benefit anything else plugged into the outlet. Hydra or not, they benefit from a Typhon. Now I need to break down and buy one.