AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 03-27-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
HDVidGuy..... I see that you're a Bryston owner. Although I've done some reading up on the brand, I've never even heard any of their stuff. What are you using to drive the center channel in your 5.1 setup?
14B (600W) for LR and 6B (300W) for center and rears. Seems many folks use Mac or Bryston for their B&W's. I never heard a Mac drive B&W's to date.

I've owned Naim, Krell and a few other hi-end amps and always liked the Brystons. They have a lot of bass drive that the other amps I had just didn't.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
MadFonzy..... I've never heard of the Holo May DAC before. Would you mind sharing a few words on what you like about it?
The Holo May KTE is really something special it is one of those R2R DACs. Compared to the C2700 DA2 the Holo May is clearly better. For instance....
- Wide soundstage. Instrument place is precise.
- Time domain goodness. ie; cymbal instrument decay
- Black backgrounds
- Clarity and microdetail
- mid range/vocals come out clearly
It seems to make rebook 16/44 sound fantastic too.
There are a few reviews on YouTube and on the web.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:08 PM

Thumbs up Holo May DAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfonzy View Post
The Holo May KTE is really something special it is one of those R2R DACs. Compared to the C2700 DA2 the Holo May is clearly better. For instance....
- Wide soundstage. Instrument place is precise.
- Time domain goodness. ie; cymbal instrument decay
- Black backgrounds
- Clarity and microdetail
- mid range/vocals come out clearly
It seems to make rebook 16/44 sound fantastic too.
There are a few reviews on YouTube and on the web.
I read your words about reviews on the web, mate, but I've come to trust a lot of folks right here on the AAF; hence, the direct question about what you like about your DAC. I've never owned one, so cheers for the words.

P.S. - Do you have any Experience with the Bryston 3.14 DAC (aka, Bryston Pi)?

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 03-28-2021, 07:14 PM
George

Quote:
George Prentice..... Your 5.1 speaker setup is very interesting to me. We, too, own a pair of N805s that we use as rears, and we've always enjoyed them very much, as well.

I see that you own some Sonus Faber speakers. How do you like them versus the B&Ws that I assume you've at least rehearsed in the past?
I enjoy the B&W speakers for our home theater. They are great speakers... but not for my audio system, they are very different. I can’t say I have ever been attracted to the B&W for my audio system (although I had 2 B&W 800 series subwoofers until recently, we still have 2 in the home theater). I have never swapped them to listen to them in my audio system. But over the decades I have heard a lot of systems. Just at a high level, if I really liked rock music and that was my focus I would consider B&W. I mostly listen to jazz, world, blues, electronic, classical, and rock so the overall balance, and coherency goes hands down to Sonus, particularly the current generation.

My audio guy just got in a set of new 800’s. He wants me to come down and listen to them, for fun... he knows I will have no interest in buying them but they do something no other speaker does. He and I have similar tastes and he wants me to enjoy sampling what they do best... kick ass. The classic combo is McIntosh and B&W for rocking speakers with great mid range and kick. The other camp is Sonus / Audio Research for balance, detail, midrange bloom and musicality ( I am not saying the lack bass). I guess there is also the Wilson camp. Of course there are lots of other sounds.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 03-28-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:59 AM

Question Arc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
I enjoy the B&W speakers for our home theater. They are great speakers... but not for my audio system, they are very different. I can’t say I have ever been attracted to the B&W for my audio system (although I had 2 B&W 800 series subwoofers until recently, we still have 2 in the home theater). I have never swapped them to listen to them in my audio system. But over the decades I have heard a lot of systems. Just at a high level, if I really liked rock music and that was my focus I would consider B&W. I mostly listen to jazz, world, blues, electronic, classical, and rock so the overall balance, and coherency goes hands down to Sonus, particularly the current generation.

My audio guy just got in a set of new 800’s. He wants me to come down and listen to them, for fun... he knows I will have no interest in buying them but they do something no other speaker does. He and I have similar tastes and he wants me to enjoy sampling what they do best... kick ass. The classic combo is McIntosh and B&W for rocking speakers with great mid range and kick. The other camp is Sonus / Audio Research for balance, detail, midrange bloom and musicality ( I am not saying the lack bass). I guess there is also the Wilson camp. Of course there are lots of other sounds.
George..... Please forgive my ignorance, but I've been living in a blue glow for decades. Is "ARC" the same as Audio Research?

I just looked over some photos of the Audio Research REF160S stereo amp, which is what I assume you use, and it looks very nice.

The last time I visited our regional Mac dealer, he had a pair of "smallish" Sonus Faber Sonetto I speakers near the front entrance. They were being driven by a Mac MA352 "hybrid" integrated amp...but they did sound pretty sweet. Perhaps I need to find an Audio Research dealer and ask him to mate an Audio Research amp with a pair of Sonus Fabers, aye?

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 03-29-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I read your words about reviews on the web, mate, but I've come to trust a lot of folks right here on the AAF; hence, the direct question about what you like about your DAC. I've never owned one, so cheers for the words.

P.S. - Do you have any Experience with the Bryston 3.14 DAC (aka, Bryston Pi)?
Yes the Holo May is direct order only and I was unable to demo it first. I relied on reviews online but also comments from users on other forums. Most people who did buy it seem to hang onto it and had excellent comments. So it was a leap of faith when I ordered it and no regrets either now. Only thing I did was try a Denafrips Ares2 first to see if I liked the R2R sound. The Holo May is way better than that DAC though.

I haven't had experience with any Bryston gear unfortunately. The only other DAC's I have tried in my system is a Topping D90 and Denafrips Ares2.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:54 PM
George

Quote:
George..... Please forgive my ignorance, but I've been living in a blue glow for decades. Is "ARC" the same as Audio Research?

I just looked over some photos of the Audio Research REF160S stereo amp, which is what I assume you use, and it looks very nice.
Yes, ARC is Audio Research Company. One of the classic “great” combinations in audio is Sonus Faber, Audio Research, and Transparent. I got to the system over decades, where I independently found each company and then upgraded or added components until I got here. My first really good preamp was an Audio Research. They have always pursued the path parallel to my taste in presentation. Then 25 years ago I got a ARC Phonostage, and upgraded many times to now. I first heard the REF 160m when it came out and was completely captivated... and said, “as soon as the REF160s comes out I will buy one.” It has been the amp I have been waiting for all my life.

A word of caution. The lower end Sonus sometimes don’t compare as well with some of the competition. The Olympica and up are excellent and beautiful speakers holding their own against all competition. I have owned Cremona, Olympica, and now Amati. I got the Cremona to test the hypothesis that this was the company’s speakers I wanted to own. I then bought the Olympica 3 sight unseen from the first boatload and was supremely happy since then. Well, of course until the Amati... incredible speakers. Also, purchased sight unseen.

I heard Transparent cables in a half million dollar system thirty or so years ago and was struck. I bought a pair, but my equipment wasn’t good enough for them. Then 20 years ago after a system upgrade, suddenly my system was of sufficient quality and they found themselves in my system... and I upgraded and widened their use until now every thing is Transparent Ultra Generation 5.

So I came to the ARC, SF, Transparent completely independent of the rule of thumb, probably created by dealers having access to lots of different equipment and finding them synergistic. One can posit alternative hypothesis since ARC and SF used to be jointly owned with MacIntosh, or if you are into conspiracy theories other alternatives.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 03-29-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:27 AM

Smile Bryston in Toronto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvidguy View Post
14B (600W) for LR and 6B (300W) for center and rears. Seems many folks use Mac or Bryston for their B&W's. I never heard a Mac drive B&W's to date.

I've owned Naim, Krell and a few other hi-end amps and always liked the Brystons. They have a lot of bass drive that the other amps I had just didn't.
hdvidguy..... Assuming that the world decides to go back to work, for real (not virtually), do you happen to know of any Bryston dealers in Toronto that we could visit for a demonstration?

I realize that Ontario is a big province, but I thought that I'd take a chance on you being located near the city.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
hdvidguy..... Assuming that the world decides to go back to work, for real (not virtually), do you happen to know of any Bryston dealers in Toronto that we could visit for a demonstration?

I realize that Ontario is a big province, but I thought that I'd take a chance on you being located near the city.
Yes, I have a few Bryston dealers close by. We just went down into almost full lock down again. So not sure about the chance to audition for at least a month now.

You can search for dealers on the Bryston site. Lots around Toronto.

Last edited by hdvidguy; 04-02-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:38 PM

Default Bryston dealers in the Toronto area

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvidguy View Post
Yes, I have a few Bryston dealers close by. We just went down into almost full lock down again. So not sure about the chance to audition for at least a month now.

You can search for dealers on the Bryston site. Lots around Toronto.
hdvidguy..... It's good to know that there are several Bryston dealers in the Toronto area, but I was hoping that you might recommend one of them...perhaps one that you've done business with?