AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 03-16-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
Sorry dude, it's a pretty big step down from the dCS Paganini....

Great player, but not a Pag!
:screwy: I have to say personal taste plays a big part in this but personally I can't get my head around the DCS sound and that includes the Scarlatti! Must be something wrong in my head!
Old 03-16-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
:screwy: I have to say personal taste plays a big part in this but personally I can't get my head around the DCS sound and that includes the Scarlatti! Must be something wrong in my head!
Birds of a feather flock together - I am on Howie's side too.

Thats 2:1 Jeff. You are down on odds.
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 03-16-2011, 03:16 AM

New here – hello,

I have been looking into the Sooloos – tried the computer way but I am extremely unhappy with it.

I have limited funds (not the best buying Meridian gear) and already own a G61R with an unofficial apodising filter, and a HD621 all this is going through my 24 bit 5500’s. I manly listen to Trifield so my centre is a 5500HC.

This site is very informative.

I have learnt what is the difference between a Control 10 and 15, is it possible to take advantage of my G61R and use a Control 10 (second hand when one comes up).

I listen to CD’s through my G06 and have just learnt how to ‘rip’ via Accuratrip.

One option would be the MC200 via a HP tablet (when it comes out) as I am allergic to certain types of fruit!

I would appreciate your kind thoughts

CheeRS

Shaun

Last edited by RS-MAN; 03-16-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Birds of a feather flock together - I am on Howie's side too.

Thats 2:1 Jeff. You are down on odds.
Used to have an 808. Great player. Then I moved to the Naim 555 and then the dCS. Couldn't be happier. I've heard dCS sound less than stellar in other systems, so synergy is a big part and because they have so many different options, many chances to muck the sound up.

It's complexity is it's weakness and to be honest when I first got mine in for review, I had it hooked up wrong! When the dCS rep came out an got it sorted, it eclipsed anything else I've heard.

Bob Stuart is just as disappointed with me for not having an 808 as well, but when I told him I had a Pag, he said, "Well, that's not rubbish..."

All personal taste at this level.

The other thing that makes the Pag so handy for me is the modularity. I can use the transport with other DAC's that I have in for review, and vice versa. The Word Clock also works with other transports, so it's a very handy piece of "test equipment" if you will.

I'm also adding the MSB universal transport, which plays DVD-a, DTS, and Blu Ray, so I'll be able to jack that into the Pag and be able to hear everything in my collection. Should be fun!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Used to have an 808. Great player. Then I moved to the Naim 555 and then the dCS. Couldn't be happier. I've heard dCS sound less than stellar in other systems, so synergy is a big part and because they have so many different options, many chances to muck the sound up.

It's complexity is it's weakness and to be honest when I first got mine in for review, I had it hooked up wrong! When the dCS rep came out an got it sorted, it eclipsed anything else I've heard.

Bob Stuart is just as disappointed with me for not having an 808 as well, but when I told him I had a Pag, he said, "Well, that's not rubbish..."

All personal taste at this level.

The other thing that makes the Pag so handy for me is the modularity. I can use the transport with other DAC's that I have in for review, and vice versa. The Word Clock also works with other transports, so it's a very handy piece of "test equipment" if you will.

I'm also adding the MSB universal transport, which plays DVD-a, DTS, and Blu Ray, so I'll be able to jack that into the Pag and be able to hear everything in my collection. Should be fun!
Just kidding Jeff - understand its "different folks, different strokes".

Cheers!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
No fancy caps inside. It's pretty much going to sound how it will sound after a few hours. Still playing with the upsampling, etc.

The great news is the control 15 will play my 24/88.2 files, which the Control 10 will not, however, when playing back 16/44 files (which make up for about 7300 of the 7352 albums on my Sooloos), the Meridian upsampling does not play well with the dCS. Sounds bright, where it did not before. When turned off, it's pretty close.
I also find the Sooloos to be a bit more forward and brighter than both my Naim CD555/PS555 and MacPro. I have been doing some A/B'ing this past week. It becomes fatiguing when I concentrate on it. I can't quite put it into words, there's a digital sound that I haven't been able to isolate or tweak. I'm thinking again about trying the MS600 to see if that will tame the beast.

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's
Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM

When did you get a 555?

If you like a more analog-y sound that is similar to the 555, get the Naim DAC and plug your PS555 in. Having used that with my Sooloos, its remarkably close. As a former 555 owner, I think you will enjoy it...

Great CD player by the way!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCubinNY View Post
I also find the Sooloos to be a bit more forward and brighter than both my Naim CD555/PS555 and MacPro. I have been doing some A/B'ing this past week. It becomes fatiguing when I concentrate on it. I can't quite put it into words, there's a digital sound that I haven't been able to isolate or tweak. I'm thinking again about trying the MS600 to see if that will tame the beast.

Reg
Reg, the 555 is a great player and one I would have loved to own. If you feel fatigued just listen to some LPs and your troubles will be lifted!

May be you should home demo a 808.3. My Sooloos is definitely not fatiguing but honestly, and I hate to say this, but compared to my tt it is not that good. The difference is all the marked since the Soulution arrived This is more a reflection of digital vs analog than anything to do with the sooloos.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
When did you get a 555?

If you like a more analog-y sound that is similar to the 555, get the Naim DAC and plug your PS555 in. Having used that with my Sooloos, its remarkably close. As a former 555 owner, I think you will enjoy it...

After going thru various combination in listening to the Sooloos (even with Naim - as local dealer is also the agent for this brand), my opinion is: The BEST Sooloos performance is via the ID40 on the 808.3 (not even the 861v6 - as the mother board is not build to maximise/optimise the digital performance of the Sooloos). Anything else, its a slight difference (or more) which is not fair to what the Sooloos can do.

So, given one day I would want to change amps and speakers and STILL want to keep the Meridian digital front end, I would keep the entire combo intact and go for the change of Pre/Power and Speakers.

Sometimes, mix & match does not really guarantee optimum performance. It merely creates difference/ controversy. I could be wrong .. but thats how I feel, after so many rounds of "merry go round".

Add in variations like cables, etc, ... one got a huge permutation to ponder and of course, the reason to change/upgrade and spending.

Cheers!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
When did you get a 555?

I've had it for about 3 years. It was my first piece of high end equipment. It is now rarely unboxed for comparison. My purpose built MacPro slid in to replace it a year ago.

The CD555 started me down the rabbit hole. I am hoping not to spend as much as the cost of the Naim DAC to tweak the Sooloos' sound. My graveyard of DACs is getting pretty large as well.

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's