AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 PM

Default Rumor - Twinstore

Just to share:

1. Normal files 500GB can store about 1150 CD's.
2. High resolution files will take up MORE space, hence would be lesser.
3. As of now, ONLY 2TB HDD works in a Twinstore.

So, what has this got to do with RUMOR?

Well, I visited my dealer for my "recovered lost files" in the damaged Twinstore drives and he managed only to recover about 50% of them, after 10 days of backup. Deadly slow isn't it? I certainly hope by next weekend, I will get my other 285 CD's files back, if not, I am going to hate myself for a long, long time!

Now to the juicy part, was told that Meridian will STOP making Twinstore in April. I am not going to take this news with a pinch of salt but had gone ahead to convince my better half that I need to buy one more as it will no longer be available. For sure, I dont think I will like the MS600 very much as I dont need 6 zones nor a new bulky looking server with whatever new stuff they may have put in there. I am used to living with the Twinstore and I think another 2TBx2Tb is going to serve me well into at least the next 5 years.

So, guys, if you think you have enough, take this as a passing rumor/news. BUT if you are seriously thinking that you may be running out of space as there are more stuff coming in, think hard on acquiring another one. Bro Howie, take note!

For sure, I know Victor had made the jump way before this rumor/news while Jeff is like having a vault of good stuff he needed to store.

So guys (John, etc, ...), dont say I never warn you on what I have heard

I know, I know, its that word again - spending! Sigh, what to do, its that little itch that refuses to go away, even if a cure is so eminent (for me that is).

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 03-12-2011, 11:31 PM

Hey Jerry, it could also mean that Meridien has decided to allow a regular NAS to work in it's place.

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's
Old 03-12-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCubinNY View Post
Hey Jerry, it could also mean that Meridien has decided to allow a regular NAS to work in it's place.

Reg
Maybe, but I am NOT sure of that. Only sure was that they want to sell the MS600 now (and that they have "exhausted" the Sooloos hardware inventories). Anyway, I am deeply entrenched with the familiar Twinstore, so one more will be to me the "ultimate". Dont think I would ever listen to the entire filled up library of 4.5TB, but for ego sake, I think I will be elated. Imaging, having at least 7k of CD's (High Rez) or 9.9k of normal ripped music. Would last me into my seventies if I listen to one CD per day.

What a passion!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 PM

I just ordered an MS600 + Twinstore will be using an ipad for control.
I will be using the MS600 internal DAC through balanced analog out to my C2300.
Anyone can comment on this solution as a source, sound quality, etc.
Cheers
Gigo
Old 03-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Member #1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Now to the juicy part, was told that Meridian will STOP making Twinstore in April. I am not going to take this news with a pinch of salt but had gone ahead to convince my better half that I need to buy one more as it will no longer be available.
I figured the Twinstore would not be available forever. My dealer gave me the chance to trade my McIntosh MS750 for a second Twinstore so I jumped on the deal.

Right now I still have over 900 gb available on my first Twinstore (with 2tb drives installed). I should be set for years to come, I may end up not even needing my second Twinstore but it's good to know it's there if I need it.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Member #1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigo View Post
I just ordered an MS600 + Twinstore will be using an ipad for control.
I will be using the MS600 internal DAC through balanced analog out to my C2300.
Anyone can comment on this solution as a source, sound quality, etc.
Cheers
Gigo
This will work great with one exception, (as I said in the other thread you posted in) you don't list any Sooloos core equipment. The MS600 can NOT act as a Sooloos system core. You will need to add at least one Sooloos core processor. You will need to add one of the following: Control 10, Control 15, Ensemble, MC200 or MC600. I highly recommend a Control 10/15, the Sooloos touchscreen is what gives you the best Sooloos experience by far.

Last edited by Victor; 03-13-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Verified MS600 can not act as Sooloos system core.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
This will work great with one exception, (as I said in the other thread you posted in) you don't list any Sooloos core equipment. As far as I know the MS600 can NOT act as a Sooloos system core. You will need to add at least one Sooloos core processor. You will need to add one of the following: Control 10, Control 15, Ensemble, MC200 or MC600. I highly recommend a Control 10/15, the Sooloos touchscreen is what gives you the best Sooloos experience by far.
Victor, I agree. The iPhone/iPad is not a comparable replacement for a C10/C15. You will miss essential functions with them. I don't think you can create a Focus, manage your files or see the cover art grid that is very cool.

The iPhone/iPad is a nice additional way to navigate when you're away from the C10/C15.

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's
Old 03-13-2011, 09:42 AM

I'll put a call in to the powers that be at Meridian. It stands to reason that if Meridian is discontinuing the Twinstore (which has only been out for a short time as it is) it will only be to replace it with something bigger, better and faster. Less expensive wouldn't be bad either...

The biggest selling point of the Sooloos after the interface is that it handles large music collections effortlessly. Bob Stuart has almost 20,000 CD's on his Sooloos, so I can't imagine that massive storage capability is going to go away any time in the near future.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Hi Victor
Can the source one act as a core if I added it to my order?
Thanks
Gigo
Old 03-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Member #1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigo View Post
Hi Victor
Can the source one act as a core if I added it to my order?
Thanks
Gigo
No, the Source One is basically the old version of the MS600, neither of these will act as a Sooloos system core. Also the Twinstore can not act as system core.

Here is the breakdown of what Sooloos components can do for you with your current system:

MS600: This is the audio output for a Sooloos system with the best analog output (the Meridian 808.3 may be slightly better but it is crazy expensive). Since you don't already have a DAC in your system this would be a great fit you you. The MS600 is not needed for a Sooloos system but will have improved sound for most people.

Twinstore: This is only a storage device. You can replace the Twinstore drives with 2tb drives and this will give you storage for about 5,000 CDs in lossless FLAC or storage for about 2,000 24 bit 96kHz high res files. The Twinstore is not needed for a Sooloos system, it just gives you more storage.

Control 15: This is a complete self contained Sooloos system that has Sooloos system core, 500gb internal storage and digital audio outputs (no analog audio outputs). The Control 15 has a 17" touch screen that gives you the full Sooloos user interface.

Control 10: Same as the Control 15 but without any internal storage. Since there is no internal storage the Control 10 needs to be used with a Twinstore, Ensemble or MC200. The Control 10 is out of production, it was replaced with the Control 15.

MC200: Add a PC or iPad/iPod for the interface and a MC200 and you will have a complete Sooloos system. The MC200 is a Sooloos system core with a 500gb internal drive and digital and analog outputs. The PC/iPod/iPad interface is very good but you loose many of the Sooloos features that give the Sooloos the best user interface on the market. You can add a MS600 to the MC200 for better audio outputs. You can add a Twinstore to the MC200 for more storage. You can add a Control 10/15 to the MC200 to get the full Sooloos user interface.

Ensemble: This is basically an older design of the MC200 with an internal 1tb drive. The Ensemble is no longer in production, it was replaced with the MC200.

MC600: This product is not out yet so we are guessing at it's features. I would guess it is similar to the MC200 with more storage space, self internal backup and possibly better audio outputs.

The Source One is an older legacy Sooloos device that I believe operates at slower speeds and may not work well with current Sooloos equipment.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by Victor; 03-13-2011 at 04:59 PM.