AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Just finished listening to the hi-res (24/192) download of Norah Jones - Come Away With Me, and doing a direct A/B comparison of it with the redbook CD version. The hi-res version has more body to Norah's voice, and presents her piano in a slightly more forward position. I started both recordings at exactly the same moment, so when I switched between the CD in the MCD1100 and the hi-res from the Olive 04HD through the MCD1100 DAC's there was no delay or advance of the music. Each time I switched to the CD the recording sounded slightly thinner and a shallower sound stage. The hi-res recording has a deeper texture to voices and instruments. What surprises me is the hi-res improvement is not revolutionary. I think I was expecting even greater clarity and dynamics. The recording is a joy to hear, but I think the hi-res version shines a bright light on an album that wasn't as well engineered or mastered as it could/should have been, particularly the microphone techniques used to capture Norah's piano. The album won a slew of awards for Norah and her band, so the emphasis was more on the quality of Norah's songs and voice than the overall recording quality. None the less, the hi-res version is a pleasant improvement over the CD.

I also own the SACD version of Norah Jones - Come Away With Me, and rarely play it because it was such a disappointment. When I purchased it I had high hope for something closer to hi-res than the redbook CD, but it was not to be. In fact, the SACD sounded vailed when compared directly to the CD. I felt ripped off. The general consensus is the SACD was simply recorded in DSD from the 16/44.1 digital master, so there was nothing to be gained. The original SACD of this album was/is a total let down, in my opinion, a down and dirty record company money grab while the recording was on top.

I had some apprehension about buying the hi-res version from HDTracks, wondering if it was just a rehash of the SACD. Fortunately it doesn't seem so. I was hoping for a greater improvement over the CD version, but I am pleased to have the evolutionary improvement none the less. I do think I could have saved the extra $5.00, and downloaded the 24/96 version with no loss in quality. Hey, live and learn. It is a good recording.
Thanks much for the review. This is one of my favorite disc's. I agree with your over engineered comment. I always thought it was recorded a little hot. Seemed to me that the noise floor was always more elevated compared to other CDs I own. Did you notice any lower noise floor in your high res version?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezewhiz View Post
Thanks much for the review. This is one of my favorite disc's. I agree with your over engineered comment. I always thought it was recorded a little hot. Seemed to me that the noise floor was always more elevated compared to other CDs I own. Did you notice any lower noise floor in your high res version?
David.......I am listening to Norah Jones - Come Away With Me again right now. It does sound as though the noise floor has been lowered, but it is not dramatic. The improvements that I am hearing in the 24Bit/192kHz recording are subtle, primarily with a nicer warmth to Norah's voice, and a slight softening of the "hot" nature of the piano mic techniques used in the recording. Like you, I agree that the original redbook CD version seemed to have an edge that has been eased in the hi-res version.

Last night, while listening to the hi-res version and the redbook version at the same time, bouncing back and forth comparing the sound, I wasn't quite as focused on the hi-res version as I am right now. I am just listening and enjoying the hi-res version right now, and it is very nice indeed.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
David.......I am listening to Norah Jones - Come Away With Me again right now. It does sound as though the noise floor has been lowered, but it is not dramatic. The improvements that I am hearing in the 24Bit/192kHz recording are subtle, primarily with a nicer warmth to Norah's voice, and a slight softening of the "hot" nature of the piano mic techniques used in the recording. Like you, I agree that the original redbook CD version seemed to have an edge that has been eased in the hi-res version.

Last night, while listening to the hi-res version and the redbook version at the same time, bouncing back and forth comparing the sound, I wasn't quite as focused on the hi-res version as I am right now. I am just listening and enjoying the hi-res version right now, and it is very nice indeed.
Sold! Thanks much Dan.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Ice Man

I agree with Dan regarding the SACD recording, it was a rip off. It was good listening but not the best. Thanks for the update of NJ new release HD track. I'll skip it.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Al Schmidt engineered these records, if memory serves. No wonder they sound so good. There's a cut on a later album of hers, the one where she is shown wearing the black and white dress, i think it's called 'thinking about you' or something like that. it has this nice loping gait, and i dig it, not so much b/c of her voice (she's got a good voice, but i find her lacking in passion), but because the band and the song are so good.
Sure beats auto tune and Riahanna, though.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Downloading my copy as I write this...will post impressions this evening when I get home from work.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Downloading my copy as I write this...will post impressions this evening when I get home from work.
Stephen.......Looking forward to your comments.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Thanks, Dan.

Looking forward to listening to it tonight...will compare with the Redbook CD.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 PM

There is a total new sacd later this month direct from tapes, should be much better than the previous sacd, and it is a 5.1 too as well as a hybrid..

again I really enjoy my 192 thanks Dan for the heads up and your very good review too
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Dave.......Good to know you are enjoying the Norah Jones - Come Away With Me hi-res download. Now that I have three copies of this album (CD. SACD, Hi-Res), unless the new Hybrid SACD is a killer, I'll probably hang tight.

Yeah, I know, I've said that before.