AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 02-12-2015, 12:23 PM

Default Sooloos TwinStore observations

I use a RM TwinStore in my Sooloos system. Since day one (5 yrs ago) I have always had it plugged into a APC UPS. About a year ago I tried Shunyata PC's on it and settled on a Alpha ZTron digital PC which made a nice improvement. So in the last week or so I'm thinking about AC line noise, dedicated ac lines, new Shunyata Sigma PC's, etc. and it dawns on me to try the TwinStore plugged directly into a wall outlet. All I can say is WOW! Its like I have a new piece of gear. Dynamics, layering, back wall definition are significantly improved. So I then I move it into a spot where I can plug it into my source component dedicated line...BINGO another huge leap in sonic bliss.

So the thought here is get to your music servers and unplug them from your UPS if that's how you're configured. I think you'll be very happy!

Let me know how it works for you.....

Last edited by Kingsrule; 02-12-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:38 AM

Kingsrule, this echoes when I had an APC Line-R 1250 for the system quite a while ago. The sound got more lifeless and less dynamic. They are inexpensive but APC does not care about connected equipment audioquality and loss of instant current delivery.

The best UPS is the one where the current is taken from the batteries and not from the charge-line, but you need a number of batteries to be able to get good current from them.

But still to be as obsessive as Caelin on current delivery APC are simply not.

Shunyata DPC-6 seems to be the goto solution these days for where we had UPS/hard noise filtration in the past.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:59 AM

I am not sure I totally agree with these posts. I have used a APC S15 with battery back-up on my most of my gear except for power amps for over 10 years. I have tried other power products from PS Audio and Richard Gray and neither worked any better and did not provide the back-up required when servers are attached. Someday I might try another solution but I am in no hurry.

I was running the MC200 direct into the wall for some time and heard no change when I plugged it into the back-up power supply.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:19 AM

Jim

I was using an APC S15 with an extra battery pack on the TwinStore. Even unplugged everything from the SP15 except the TwinStore and it made no difference ...the TwinStore sounds much better not plugged into the S15