AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 09-29-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSem View Post
Have any of you tried the Philips 5r4GYS? A lot of folks have raved about it on Upscale Audio.
Hey Steve,

I wasn't crazy about the Philips 5R4GYS. I tried the Brimar 5R4GY and preferred it, though even it hasn't risen to the top of my preferences. It may again, possibly in the preamp, but not sure. It is a bit more forward than I typically like, but those kind of tubes do have their place depending on the system. I like a very clean rectifier in my preamp and do any warming or softening at the amplifier.

How do you lean in listening preference; more towards clean and forward or more warm and laid back?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:49 PM

Peter, thanks for the reply. Since I am so new to the low power tube amp world, I'm still in the process of learning what I like. I would describe the sound I'm getting with the Westinghouse and JJ rectifiers as pretty clean and forward. I liked it very much, but want to fully explore the amp's capabilities. Where would you place the Sophia rectifier on this clean v. warm scale? It seems to be available in roughly the same price range as the Philips.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:01 AM

These amps are excellemt. They respond to input/driver tubes and interconnects etc. just as they do with rectifiers/power tubes. As in many things in audio a higher price does not often mean better sound.

Also, none of us have the same components in the rest of our systems and that will have a bearing on what tubes etc. we prefer.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Peter, thanks for the reply. Since I am so new to the low power tube amp world, I'm still in the process of learning what I like. I would describe the sound I'm getting with the Westinghouse and JJ rectifiers as pretty clean and forward. I liked it very much, but want to fully explore the amp's capabilities. Where would you place the Sophia rectifier on this clean v. warm scale? It seems to be available in roughly the same price range as the Philips.
To my ears, the Sophia is more clean than warm, not so forward and therefore easier to listen to over longer periods than some others that might sound more forward. But, as FB says, it all depends on the rest of the system. Depending on the overall character, a more forward tube may be needed if everything else is making things laid back. If already more neutral, the forward tube might sound too forward.

You may need to take something like my approach as you seem to need to investigate, rule out, etc. If so, plan on spending a chunk of money obtaining a range of tubes so you can really get the feel of possibilities in your particular system. It took me more than a year, but it looks like I'm settling down with my current tube configuration and am beginning to weed through my collection and selling some of what I obtained. If you buy reasonably carefully, you can resell tubes for 80%-110% of what you paid.

Others can try two or three combos and be happy with one. I have more of an obsessive streak and have needed to try many more.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I found some NOS Full Music Mesh 274A's and really like them. The Sophia's come from the same factory.

The Tube Store has a preferred series 274B is worth a look too and it is $31.95

The 274A & B are the same tube but the 274A has 4 pins.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
What rectifiers do you have now?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
What rectifiers do you have now?
My Inspire came with three sets of drivers and power tubes, but only one rectifier: Westinghouse 5U4G

My Dared preamp came with a JJ GZ34.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:50 PM

It's Friday and I am home from work. My Inspire system is in my office and I will miss it until Monday Morning. I do look forward to listening to it so.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
It's Friday and I am home from work. My Inspire system is in my office and I will miss it until Monday Morning. I do look forward to listening to it so.
We took last weekend in Homer AK away from the system. Did some listening with headphones straight from my Android. Nice experience actually. Haven't been into headphones since the 70's.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
My Inspire came with three sets of drivers and power tubes, but only one rectifier: Westinghouse 5U4G

My Dared preamp came with a JJ GZ34.
Here is a post from Audio Asylum regarding 5AR4/GZ34's. Mine are vintage but
I am going to get a Gold Lion.

5U4G's are inexpensive so you may want a spare. A RCA or Sylvania are as good as they get.

What speakers are you using?