AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > D'Agostino Audio

D'Agostino Audio Master Audio Systems

Old 12-13-2021, 12:52 AM

Default MvX upgrade?

Pardon me if this was already discussed -- has anyone had a chance to hear the latest Momentum amps with the MvX upgrades and compare them to the previous versions?

https://dandagostino.com/products/mo...lock-amplifier

From the website:

Advancements in Every Area

Every major section of the amplifier - power supply, input, driver, and output stages - have all been enhanced in this advancement. A new transformer winding pattern provides over 50% more current output from the same transformer footprint. This additional current offers greater headroom during dynamic passages.

A reinvisioned input stage combines a brand new circuit topology with advanced components feeding the driver and output stages. Crucial to the new circuit are the bipolar transistors powering the front end of the amplifier. In the Momentum M400 MxV amplifiers, new devices deliver ten times the current and power of the original devices. These wider bandwidth, higher power components extend low and high frequency performance with reduced distortion in both frequency extremes.

Energizing the driver stage is a new bias stability circuit providing a nearly 50% increase in operating bias. Increasing Class A operation directly correlates to better sound quality. However, there is a limit to bias level in any amplifier. With this new circuit topology and our unique Copper heatsinks, thermal issues are not a practical concern in the Momentum M400 MxV amplifiers.

The new bias scheme ensures bias consistency, preventing excessive temperatures even under the greatest demand. Additional power transistors in the output stage reduce workload for each device. By minimizing stress on each individual device, the entire output section works more efficiently. The result is a richer, more dynamic, intimate presentation regardless of musical genre.

The final output stage features new output transistors that were originally sourced for the flagship Relentless Monoblock Amplifier. The high-output transistors used on the Momentum M400 MxV are among the fastest available. Using 26 on the Momentum M400 MxV amplifiers they run at a blistering 69 MHz, permitting the Momentum M400 MxV to achieve incredible bandwidth. Each transistor mounts with two stainless steel fasteners—a rarity among flat-package transistors—for maximum thermal transfer to the copper heat sinks.

A capacitor/resistor network connected to the base of each transistor ensures stability even at high frequencies and with low-impedance speakers. Additionally, every output transistor is measured and only devices that match the required performance specifications are included in the production of Momentum M400 MxV amplifiers. As with all D'Agostino models, the Momentum M400 MxV amplifiers feature discrete, direct-coupled balanced circuitry, the most accurate circuit platform possible.

I spoke with Alex at the D'Agostino factory and the upgrade sounds like they jack up the case and drive a completely new amplifier underneath. $10K for the S250 stereo amp. I didn't ask about the M400 monos, but I'd guess it would come in at $10K per.

Steve Z

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!
Old 12-13-2021, 02:39 AM

I haven’t heard them, but think I’ll reach out to my dealer. Do you know if the amp has to go back to Cave Creek, or can the upgrade be performed at the dealer?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 12-14-2021, 11:28 AM

For all the upgrades listed on the MvX and for 10K, I would highly doubt that would be a dealer upgrade. Probably similar to the 200 to 250 upgrade, where mostly all but the chassis was changed.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:18 PM

Update from my dealer is that they’ll start doing upgrades in mid-January, and it has to be done in Cave Creek. $10k plus shipping, and the upgrade will take 1-2 weeks plus shipping time.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 12-14-2021, 07:35 PM
Go Dawgs

So Tony, are you gonna go for it or wait until some feedback? Of course as goes with this hobby, you’re never gonna read anything that’s gonna say, “the upgrade is terrible!!!!”

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-14-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
So Tony, are you gonna go for it or wait until some feedback? Of course as goes with this hobby, you’re never gonna read anything that’s gonna say, “the upgrade is terrible!!!!”

- Buck
And you guys make fun of Audio Research for the endless "SE" upgrades
Old 12-14-2021, 08:51 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
And you guys make fun of Audio Research for the endless "SE" upgrades
Don’t get me started now……..
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-14-2021, 09:53 PM

Default MvX upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post

- Buck

I’m thinking…I might have jumped in line if my dealer had offered me a loaner amp for a month. No surprise he didn’t offer me one, eh Marc?
Old 12-15-2021, 02:23 PM

Yeah, I'm doing well to even get a reply from that dealer a lot of the time.

Steve Z

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!
Old 12-15-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I’m thinking…I might have jumped in line if my dealer had offered me a loaner amp for a month. No surprise he didn’t offer me one, eh Marc?
Not surprised at all. Although they did give me a loaner once, which was like 5 rungs below the amp I sent in. You'd think it would be an opportunity for them to upsell you or show you something impressive, but nope.