AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Parasound

Parasound Uncompromised Quality

Old 02-26-2014, 01:22 AM

I've seen a lot of posts on this Board about a wide variety of phone preamps, but I don't think I've seen any posts about the Parasound JC 3 or its successor the JC 3+ Phono Pre. They've received rave reviews and are still under $3Gs, which doesn't seem outrageous given the level and cost of other components we discuss. Anyone have any experience, good, bad or indifferent with this phono preamp? Chris

PS - Of course as soon as I posted this, I saw another post on the subject. I'd still like to hear your thoughts if this isn't redundant.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Last edited by ChrisAZ; 02-26-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 AM

The JC-3 was my first upper middle class phono stage. (At that price point, we can't really call it "high end," can we? We'd get drummed out of the Audiophile Union!)

I liked it a LOT. Very nice sound stage, very nice to look at, and VERY quiet. I only took it out of my vinyl rig when I got a deal I couldn't pass up on an E.A.R. 324, which stayed in the system for a year before being replaced. Now the JC-3 is providing good sound for a good friend.

Excellent phono stage.

Main: Wilson Alexia, D'Agostino M400 monoblocks, Ypsilon PST-100 Mk 2 preamp, Helix 1 turntable w/Lyra Etna SL cart and SAT tonearm, Ypsilon VPS-100, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Shunyata Triton v2 & Typhon, Shunyata Cyclops and power cords, Transparent Opus MM2 speaker cables and interconnects, Kubala-Sosna interconnects and power cords.

Family Room: Legacy Focus towers, sub, and surrounds, McIntosh MC452, McIntosh C2500, DHC-80.3, Parasound Halo A-51, Sony HAP-Z1ES, AppleTV, OPPO BDP-105D, Sonos, XBox One, XBox 360, Shunyata Triton.

Office: KEF LS-50, Decware Zen Mystery Amp, E.A.R. 868, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Sonos.

Library: B&W 805 Maserati, JL Audio Fathom f113 sub, twin MC275LE, McIntosh C2500, AMG Viella V12 w/Lyra Etna cart, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Sennheiser HDVD 800 headphone amp/DAC, Sennheiser HD800 cans.

Other: VPI Aries 3 w/Triplanar tonearm and Dynavector 17D3 cart, CTC Blowtorch, Vendetta Research SCP-2A, 2 MC30's, 3 MC240's, MC275 Mk V, MC275 Mk VI, 2 Bob Carver Black Beauties, EAR 890, EAR 324, Parasound Halo A21, Parasound Halo JC-1 monoblocks, Parasound Halo JC-3, Pioneer SX-1250, Pioneer SX-5590, Pioneer SX-1980, Thiel CS2.4 speakers.

A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's there a Heaven for?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 AM

Chris,
Who in the Houston area has phono stages to audition?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Chris,
Who in the Houston area has phono stages to audition?
Really nobody - I'm flying blind here and would have to order online. Sound World carried Bryston and Audio Research (not Parasound) but I've heard that they're closing up and in any event last time I was in there (about a year ago) they didn't have much in the way of turntables or separate phono preamps under $10,000. Signature Home Theatre has downsized significantly and really is just a home theatre shop now - plus they never had much in the way of turntables or phono preamps. I don't know that Modia or Magnolia even know what a phono preamp is. So our choices are slim to none in the Houston area. That's why a board like this is so important (as are 30 day return policies). Chris.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

As indicated in my sig, I have the JC3. I have compared it to the ARC Ref 2 in my system and my buddy's system who owns the Ref 2. The Ref 2 is better, but we both found the difference not be that significant. I think you might have to spend double the JC3's price to get better.

As far as the JC3+ is concerned, aside from the addition of the variable MC loading option, it has a beefier power supply. That usually results in improved performance. The JC3+ is definitely on my radar. I'm also surprised that there hasn't been more buzz about it.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
As indicated in my sig, I have the JC3. I have compared it to the ARC Ref 2 in my system and my buddy's system who owns the Ref 2. The Ref 2 is better, but we both found the difference not be that significant. I think you might have to spend double the JC3's price to get better. As far as the JC3+ is concerned, aside from the addition of the variable MC loading option, it has a beefier power supply. That usually results in improved performance. The JC3+ is definitely on my radar. I'm also surprised that there hasn't been more buzz about it.
Thanks so much Anthony. I just confirmed that the local Audio Research Dealer has closed up his shop, which is too bad because I was also interested in the PH6. So you've given me great information in the comparison to the Ref 2 - the JC3+ is definitely on my radar based on the reviews and recommendations such as yours.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
As indicated in my sig, I have the JC3. I have compared it to the ARC Ref 2 in my system and my buddy's system who owns the Ref 2. The Ref 2 is better, but we both found the difference not be that significant. I think you might have to spend double the JC3's price to get better.

As far as the JC3+ is concerned, aside from the addition of the variable MC loading option, it has a beefier power supply. That usually results in improved performance. The JC3+ is definitely on my radar. I'm also surprised that there hasn't been more buzz about it.
I totally concur with Anthony, Parasound is just great value, plain and simple.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
I totally concur with Anthony, Parasound is just great value, plain and simple.
Gentlemen: So I'm obviously leaning towards the Parasound. I've read at least one criticism of the JC3 (in an internet posting, but not in reviews, so I take it with a grain of salt) that the Parasound sounded too digital - which in context I understood to mean too clinical and without the warmth of tubes. This is of course a SS phono pre (the rest of my system is also SS), and the reviews I've read have been unabashedly positive. So, aside from the JC3 or JC3+ being a very fine component, how would you characterize its sound, musicality and what it brings to your vinyl experience? Thanks again for your input - Chris.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
Gentlemen: So I'm obviously leaning towards the Parasound. I've read at least one criticism of the JC3 (in an internet posting, but not in reviews, so I take it with a grain of salt) that the Parasound sounded too digital - which in context I understood to mean too clinical and without the warmth of tubes. This is of course a SS phono pre (the rest of my system is also SS), and the reviews I've read have been unabashedly positive. So, aside from the JC3 or JC3+ being a very fine component, how would you characterize its sound, musicality and what it brings to your vinyl experience? Thanks again for your input - Chris.
I would say neutral, given that it is one of the quietest phono pres anyone has heard, but if your inclination is towards tubes, then you will miss the tube warmth. I would not call the JC3 a sterile or digital sound, however.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I would say neutral, given that it is one of the quietest phono pres anyone has heard, but if your inclination is towards tubes, then you will miss the tube warmth. I would not call the JC3 a sterile or digital sound, however.
Thanks again for your insight - I had a gut feeling that yours would be the most apt description. Given my current system - which tends to be slightly warm, romantic, or whatever one calls it - I think this would be a good match. OK, so now I need to steel my nerves to hit the order button.