AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 12-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy92 View Post
Thanks guys! The bottom end from this tonearm is huge compared to the 3009 II! Even though it took me about 4 hrs from start to finish, this tonearm is a JOY to setup. VTA, HTA and VTF were a breeze to dial in.

Mike
That's SME arms for you...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM411

the store owner.
Joe,
Did you ask him why he's not using the 3 screws ?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Joe,
Did you ask him why he's not using the 3 screws ?
yes, i was at his store on Friday. he said he set up according to the Rega instructions. The cartridge is canted slightly per instructions.

I didn't dig any further....

mc275VI 50th anniversary edition, c2300, rega p5, aerial acoustics 7t, Bryston BDA-1 dac, yamaha cdx550, dual 1237 turntable (not in use)
Old 12-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Cool, calm scientist

The key here, and this is probably what your dealer was doing, is that the cantilever/stylus assembly be aligned with the appropriate HTA lines on the protractor. As the cantilever on many cartridges are not perfectly straight longitudinally with the cartridge body, it's very possible the dealer had to cant the cartridge slightly to obtain optimal canti alignment. It's more important that the canti be straight than the cartridge body appear straight, although I am sure that a non-straight appearing cartridge body is enough to keep many audiophiles up at night with paroxysms of fear...

A cantilever that is not perfectly straight with respect to the cartridge body is generally not too much of a problem if the the offset is slight as the stiction of the stylus in the groove during playback will generally ensure that the cantilever "runs straight" appropriately during playback (this acc. to Peter Ledermann of Soundsmith).

Dont'cha just love the internet?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-12-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The key here, and this is probably what your dealer was doing, is that the cantilever/stylus assembly be aligned with the appropriate HTA lines on the protractor. As the cantilever on many cartridges are not perfectly straight longitudinally with the cartridge body, it's very possible the dealer had to cant the cartridge slightly to obtain optimal canti alignment. It's more important that the canti be straight than the cartridge body appear straight, although I am sure that a non-straight apparing cartridge body is enough to keep many audiophiles up at night with paroxysms of fear...

A cantilever that is not perfectly straight with respect to the cartridge body is generally not too much of a problem if the the offset is slight as the stiction of the stylus in the groove during playback will generally ensure that the cantilever "runs straight" appropriately during playback (this acc. to Peter Ledermann of Soundsmith).

Dont'cha just love the internet? ;D
yea.... yea thatsit.....

mc275VI 50th anniversary edition, c2300, rega p5, aerial acoustics 7t, Bryston BDA-1 dac, yamaha cdx550, dual 1237 turntable (not in use)
Old 12-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM411 View Post
yea.... yea thatsit.....
Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!-Jon Lovitz, The Pathological Liar.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!-Jon Lovitz, The Pathological Liar.
seriously, your explanation is pretty much what he told me.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM411 View Post
seriously, your explanation is pretty much what he told me.
Yeah, I kinda figured that. I've been doing this long enough now to do know the drill. That canti alignment is really the critical thing for HTA.

Here's a pic of mine through the loupe from the Uni-Protractor. This protractor really lets you get dialed.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 AM

Hi

New user on the forum. Was out of the vinyl game for the last 12 years but by accident someone gave me a stack of LP's and I mistakenly told myself that it would be fun to try again. 6 months later and I have 4 vinyl rigs already.

My primary rig is my GyroDec SE with an SME V arm and the Ortofon MC 30 Super II. (only had a picture without the Ortofon attached)

My second rig is a mash up from several turntables. It is primarily a Pro-Ject Perspective, but new platter, new external engine and new suspension. So not much is left of the original. I am using an Ortofon Kontrapunkt H on that turntable.

Finally I have a Pro-Ject RPM5 (or RM5 in the US) and a Denon DP-47. Will see if I can add more photo's later..
Have collected a few cartridges like Ortofon MC20 Super, Denon DL-103 and Ortofon OM-40 - but none of them are in regular use even though they are all in very good condition..
Old 12-27-2011, 02:27 PM
From the BAT cave ...

aarsoe, welcome aboard!