AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 10-07-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
It's kind of hard to know where to begin, Freddie, but I'll do my best. I'm a native deep southerner who took a formal radiac course in NOLA back around 1997. As we immediately fell in love with the "wildness" of the place, we immediately started talking about moving there and, eventually, found suitable work in the NOLA area at the turn of the century. We lived in Harvey first and, about a year later, we found a nice big place in Gretna. Unfortunately, storm Katie blew us -- and some of our family members -- out of NOLA. We ended up in my wife's home area, the Berkshires of western Mass, and our family (from the Violet area) ended up near you, north of Lake P. I don't really like to dwell on bad times, but we do miss the mecca of fine food. I've been all over the world, and there's no place I've been to that beats NOLA for food, period.

I'm surprised that Monsieur Wilson had a poor opinion of Mac...because, if I remember correctly, he auditioned the 802Ns we ended up with via a Mac amp.

And now that we're discussing Mac, how do you like that 300W integrated monster you own? Based on what I just read in the Mac compendium, that MA8000 looks like the real deal, for sure...but I have to admit to being a sucker for 300W Mac amps with autoformer outs. In my experience, we've found that heavy is synonymous with great sounding...and, quite honestly, I'm very jealous.

ADDENDUM: I don't know the first thing about them, but those Cantons you have also look like real monsters.
Wow, what a story. Hurricanes are a way of life down here. Fortunate for us our house escaped damage from Katrina but everything around us was literally blown down. We lost almost all the trees in our yard and it took months to get the debris picked up an hauled off.

The current pandemic has put our local restaurant scene on the ropes. Places like K-Pauls has closed permanently and I think Brigsten's may not reopen as well.

On to a better topic...I really love the MA8000. It's a truly fine sounding amp with tons of connectivity. It handles the big Canton's with ease and delivers wide soundstages, complete control has tons of grip and is a very neutral sounding amp. Great resolution and shows nuance well. Being I have a small listening room, it was really essential to get a one box solution, although I admit to wanting to get into separates.

Hope you can make it down here again at some point. Eventually things will turn back to normal, it's just a question of what that "normal" will look like.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:44 PM

Thumbs up Geaux NOLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post

Wow, what a story. Hurricanes are a way of life down here. Fortunate for us our house escaped damage from Katrina but everything around us was literally blown down. We lost almost all the trees in our yard and it took months to get the debris picked up an hauled off.

The current pandemic has put our local restaurant scene on the ropes. Places like K-Pauls has closed permanently and I think Brigsten's may not reopen as well.

On to a better topic...I really love the MA8000. It's a truly fine sounding amp with tons of connectivity. It handles the big Canton's with ease and delivers wide soundstages, complete control has tons of grip and is a very neutral sounding amp. Great resolution and shows nuance well. Being I have a small listening room, it was really essential to get a one box solution, although I admit to wanting to get into separates.

Hope you can make it down here again at some point. Eventually things will turn back to normal, it's just a question of what that "normal" will look like.
I'm sorry to read about the how things have impacted the restaurant business down there, Freddie...but, you know what, there are a lot of great chefs, both professional and amateur, in that part of the world, so I have no doubt that they'll find there way through again. Peristyle, for example, is now closed but I'm sure that someone came [or will come] along to build up another great restaurant to takes its place. In short, you just can't keep good people down for long...and food, as a business, seems to be growing stronger every day.

I had a feeling that you were going to say great things about your MA8000. I mean all of that in one unit...and 300W per channel to boot...like I said before, I'm green with McEnvy.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections

Last edited by 70sMac; 10-07-2020 at 11:50 PM.