AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 12-26-2016, 04:27 PM

Default Ayre vs McIntosh Amps/Preamps

I currently own the MC452/C50 amp/preamp combination. I recently purchased an Ayre QX-5 Twenty digital hub. Until then, I was not all that familiar with Ayre, but since I have done quite a bit of research on the company and am very impressed with their customer centric business model and the passion of their owner, Charles Hansen.

My research has piqued my interested in other Ayre products. I don't live in an area where I will be able to audition their products side by side so I am interested in hearing from others on this forum who've had experience with both brands. It's not that I am unhappy with my McIntosh gear, but I, like many others here, am looking to see if I might make my system better.

Based on economics, I think I would mostly be interested in comparison to the Ayre 5 Twenty series.

Last edited by Amadave; 12-26-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:13 PM

At different times I have owned the C-200, C-1000 and C-2300. The C-2300 was replaced by my the Ayre MX-R. THE MX-R was a wonderful designed and sounding pre-amp and matched nicely to my D'Agostino Momentum's. Not everyone will agree, especially those who love tube gear, but my preference was the Ayre sound to the three McIntosh units.

I have no idea how the Ayre 5 Twenty will pair up with your 452, but whichever way you go you will have a fine sounding system.

Last edited by Still-One; 12-28-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:12 AM

Based on the number of responses, there doesn't appear to be too much crossover between these two brands so I guess I'll try it a different way. For those who own McIntosh, why did you choose McIntosh? For those who own Ayre, why did you choose Ayre?
Old 12-28-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadave View Post
Based on the number of responses, there doesn't appear to be too much crossover between these two brands so I guess I'll try it a different way. For those who own McIntosh, why did you choose McIntosh? For those who own Ayre, why did you choose Ayre?

I really like the synergy between Sonus Faber and McIntosh. The MA6600 and SF Liuto's was my first step into HiFi, it sounded so good I could not believe it. The Amati Futuras came up for sale on this forum and I jumped on them (I have enjoyed them tremendously). To be honest I have never tried different gear but I do believe you can't decide on the electronic gear in a vacuum and must consider the speakers also.

I love the look of both products as well!

Why I chose McIntosh:
1) Synergy with Sonus Faber
2) Sound quality (silky smooth and has a natural tone that you can listen to for hours)
3) Build quality (made in USA)
4) Aesthetic (I love the classic look and the meters)
5) History behind the brand
6) Currently have no interest in any other brand except for media servers as the Silenzio is awesome (full disclosure [emoji3] if it ain't broke don't fix it)
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer

Last edited by jfray; 12-28-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:50 PM

I went with Ayre because they make no compromises in their designs and this results in sonic presentation that is second to few, if any.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:10 AM

I bought a pair of McIntosh MC-601's a couple of years ago and while I have upgraded other equipment I can see these staying with me for a long, long time. First, they just sound amazing. To me ... they are the best sounding SS amp McIntosh has ever made ... really an incredible product.(just my opinion and others may feel different) Next, I can't imagine ever running out of power as even when I'm playing at loud volumes I'm rarely peaking the meters at 6W. I did hit 60W one day just to do it and my gosh ... had no idea Martin Logan Ethos could play so loudly! :-) I like the way they look too just being honest! Also, based on build quality ... I won't ever "Have" to replace them as they very likely will last a lifetime! Did I mention I love how they sound?

Last edited by gadawg; 02-03-2017 at 01:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-03-2017, 05:46 PM

I went with McIntosh because I think theyvsound very smooth and non fatiguing. The blue meters and the fact they are built in New York didn't hurt either
Old 06-13-2017, 09:32 PM

Both brands have a house sound. For SS, Ayre is smooth but neutral. McIntosh to my ears is euphonic and has a slight color IMO, albeit a very nice color. They vaguely remind me of Conrad Johnson gear I've heard. McIntosh match very well with B&W 800 series. You really can't go wrong with either brand. I really love the front lighting/control design of McIntosh.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 10-04-2019, 10:10 AM

Default What did you end up doing?

Hey @Amadave - what did you end up doing? How did it turn out? I am considering McIntosh and Ayre amps right now and am similarly looking for info.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:20 PM

Always impressed with Ayre's sound, quality, and styling!
They offer incredible performance for the $$

Last edited by Masterlu; 10-04-2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Sorry, no advertising permitted outside of the Marketplace