AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 01-31-2010, 03:48 PM

Default Thoughts on HTM1D vs. HTM2D

I currently have the HTM2D, and am not unhappy, but my dealer has a demo in the right colour I am contemplating trading for, as the marlan head is obviously a better fit. With my screen I have to have something low, so the 1 works ...though I would likely try to get a custom stand to get it up a little higher, closer to the tweeters on the 800Ds. I guess I am trying to get anyone else's experience/opinions on whether this would be worth the upgrade, as it isn't cheap!

This is an old pic, the screen drops down for movies:

Thoughts?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:14 PM

I have the HTM2D, and while I love it.. I would love a chance to slip the HTM1D in, simply for the sake of beefing up the center channel Lower end(being mostly a movie guy). And The Matching Bowling balls would be sweet too. lol

Secondly I designed my Entertainment section to fit certain pieces of equipment(current and future) a Raised shelf for my Center Channel which places my Center Tweeter in line with both of my 802D's... and there just isn't enough room in my set up for the HTM1D beast.

Although if I had a chance to get a HTM1D cheap, I probably would and have to redesign everything to suit.

Yes I know, none of that really answers your question.. but that's my perticular feeling on it.

peace

Round one to Chuck.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:18 PM

I would conside it if it were a good buy. B&W is no longer producing it. It would have to be a better match for your 800Ds, and once they are gone, you won't have another chance.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 PM

Curious Question... Since B&W is discontinuing the HTM1D and Keeping the HTM2D. Are they implying the quality for viewing movies is NOT worth the cost of the Speaker?
It cannot be due to the cost of the HTM1D because there are other companies that manufacture centers that cost $9,000. So... is the quality of the HTM2D so similar to that of the HTM1D that consumers would rather spend a little less for a speaker that sounds just as good? OR--- Is B&W working on plans to begin production of a new center to replace the HTM1D?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 PM

A dealer I talked to said they were difficult to sell.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:21 AM

maybe they should should just lower the price a few thousand. I would love to own one. In fact i'll trade my HtM2D and my Hot Spings hot Tub. Only few years old. Mint condition. I havn't used it msyself, since my heart surgery I can't. I have cleaned it and changed the water according to manufacturer maint. specs. Anyone interested, send me a p.m. local pickup preferred, Bit I may be willing to drive to a close location. Location the Detroit Michigan area. I have pictures I can forward.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 AM

Yes, a lower price would help. At a bit lower, I might have sprung for one. I might have anyway eventually, but now I guess that can't happen.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:25 PM

Hard to tell...I think most people doing Home theatre don't bother with 800-802Ds. I bet they sell more 2 channel setups for those speakers, so the HTM1D is just overkill for many.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 PM

Yes but the HTM1D does for VIDEO enthusiasts that 2 ch. does for Audio enthusiasts. It completes the best possible sound playback for watching movies. Which is what WE want while watching our favorite gunshot, sci-fi, or car chase scenes. I heard the Wilson Watch Center and thought it sounded great. and yes if cost $9,000. It filled the room very well. I guess one day on A-gon or ebay of somewhere someone will upgrade there system and sell an HTM1D, Until then I'll be happy with my HTM2D. Did I mention Im willing to trade my Hot Tub only a few years old for an HTM1D....
Old 02-23-2010, 07:26 AM

I upgraded a year ago and think it was a huge improvement over my previous HTM2D. It is a beast, however I will not upgrade to the new B&Ws in my room because they stopped making the HTM1D and right now I have a great match across the front.