AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 06-15-2020, 08:23 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
The binding posts are indeed high...not very practical and an odd design decision.
The way it was explained by a Magico Dealer:

First, the binding posts are also high on the Q7 Mk2. Second, the 3-way passive crossover for the tweeter, midrange and mid-bass drivers sits directly behind the tweeter and midrange which allows for the shortest cabling distance to these drivers specifically.

Lastly, from a connectivity standpoint, you only need one set of outputs (XLR for example) from the preamp (or DAC with VC) to the all analog MXO. From the MXO, you have four XLR outputs to the amps.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:40 AM

Simply Amazing...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg M9 Internal Chamber Smaller.jpg (33.5 KB, 369 views)
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.

Last edited by Masterlu; 06-16-2020 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Enlarge & embed photo.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:22 AM

When I first saw it , I thought Rockport Arrakis. Both are tall, carbon-look, dual 15 inch sub. Before Q7 I was interested in Arrakis, but could not risk buying like that with out extensive listening first. Now M9 is much more advance than the Arrakis. I was really trying to find the way to acquire M9 until I learn that need extra 2 more expensive channels of amplification and cables. Then I stop dreaming. I am in the camp of not mixing different amps in bi-amp set up. So That mean four of super amp to do justice for M9. These are for top 1% of audiophile. Really.

Toga
Old 06-16-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
When I first saw it , I thought Rockport Arrakis. Both are tall, carbon-look, dual 15 inch sub. Before Q7 I was interested in Arrakis, but could not risk buying like that with out extensive listening first. Now M9 is much more advance than the Arrakis. I was really trying to find the way to acquire M9 until I learn that need extra 2 more expensive channels of amplification and cables. Then I stop dreaming. I am in the camp of not mixing different amps in bi-amp set up. So That mean four of super amp to do justice for M9. These are for top 1% of audiophile. Really.

Toga
Toga, I believe I saw somewhere that the M9 would be a limited edition. This means there will be a scaled down flagship version of the M9 that will be suitable for you. There are many new features to the M9 other than the bi-amping. New drivers, new base, new cabinet construction, new crossover. I think the M9 is aimed at the .01% of audiophiles.

When the Wilson XVX came out there was alot of talk on the forum about the how expensive it was. These folks did not have that kind of cash. But when I saw it and saw that in many respects the XVX was superior to the WAMM, and at about two thirds the price (the WAMM includes subs, the XVX does not) and that it would fit into my room, I thought it a bargain.

I think the same thing is going to happen here. Magico is going to produce a "practical" M9. I believe it will be quite a speaker. I am extremely impressed with the M9.

Best,

Charles
Old 06-16-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:

Toga
So what will keep you away from buying a $750K loudspeaker is another set of amplifiers and an extra set of cables?? Nice to see you have your limits
Old 06-17-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsalis View Post
So what will keep you away from buying a $750K loudspeaker is another set of amplifiers and an extra set of cables?? Nice to see you have your limits

I like the speakers, but I don’t like to add more amp and
cables anymore. But I can’t afford these anyway, but’
that is just my idea.

There is a diesel engine Bentley, or even Hybrid, to
Help lower operating cost. It is fair to say that some
want to save fuel bill driving a Bentley.

Toga
Old 06-17-2020, 08:21 AM

Default Magico M9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Toga, I believe I saw somewhere that the M9 would be a limited edition. This means there will be a scaled down flagship version of the M9 that will be suitable for you. There are many new features to the M9 other than the bi-amping. New drivers, new base, new cabinet construction, new crossover. I think the M9 is aimed at the .01% of audiophiles.

When the Wilson XVX came out there was alot of talk on the forum about the how expensive it was. These folks did not have that kind of cash. But when I saw it and saw that in many respects the XVX was superior to the WAMM, and at about two thirds the price (the WAMM includes subs, the XVX does not) and that it would fit into my room, I thought it a bargain.

I think the same thing is going to happen here. Magico is going to produce a "practical" M9. I believe it will be quite a speaker. I am extremely impressed with the M9.

Best,

Charles

Hi Charles,
Yes I am sure of the coming of trickled down models.
But I will never be able to afford them too as Q7 resale value will not cover even half of what to come. At the time I pulled the trigger for Q7 I told myself that they will
be my end game speakers, and that is still true, until I won A lotto.
Oh and congrats on new XVX, I like those too.
TOGA
Old 06-17-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Hi Charles,
Yes I am sure of the coming of trickled down models.
But I will never be able to afford them too as Q7 resale value will not cover even half of what to come. At the time I pulled the trigger for Q7 I told myself that they will
be my end game speakers, and that is still true, until I won A lotto.
Oh and congrats on new XVX, I like those too.
TOGA
If I had one criticism of the M9 its the lack of rear ambiance drivers. As far as I can see the M9 is the absolute Magico expression of the Magico concept of the sealed design. It is structure and driver quality taken to the absolute limit. The huge 15" woofers and the extremely high crossover frequency (magico says low) apparently necessitated the active crossover design, not because this was inherently better than a passive design. So as I understand it the M9 does not really have a built in sub after all. A built in sub is typically powered by a built in amp and crossed over at a lower frequency; and the M9 has no rear ambiance feature.

The XVX has a better rear ambiance feature than the WAMM because it is adjustable and has a Mark 5 tweeter. It also has superior mids. It's time alignment feature is equal to the WAMM. All in all I would rather have it than a WAMM even for the same price. When I saw the WAMM I new it was not for me. The M9 would not be for me either. I think speaker design is heading towards more active designs with features like built in subs, tri-amping, dsp, etc. It will be interesting to see the "flagship" that Magico come out with that folks like Toga would be interested in. He may change his tune when he sees it. One you are bitten it's hard not to succumb to the high end fever.

p.s. If I am understanding correctly since the crossover is adjustable, identical amps would not be needed. Thanks for the compliment concerning my XVX. For me it's the perfect speaker. But I am sure that the new scaled down Magico flagship will rival or eclipse the XVX.

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 06-17-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

The XVX has a better rear ambiance feature than the WAMM because it is adjustable and has a Mark 5 tweeter. It also has superior mids. It's time alignment feature is equal to the WAMM.
Interesting, can you explain why a company who prides itself on “drivers time alignment” have a rear “ambiance” drivers? How are they time aligned with the front drivers?
Old 06-25-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsalis View Post
Interesting, can you explain why a company who prides itself on “drivers time alignment” have a rear “ambiance” drivers? How are they time aligned with the front drivers?
Ultimately, it's what works. If you look at most speakers, certainly not all, there is some allowance/recognition for time alignment. The rear tweeter on the XVX begins at a maximum of -13db centered at 7kHz relative to the front tweeter when the adjustment is at full level. Lowest level is -37 db which removes it.

Although I can't prove it, I believe this ambiance effect centered around 7 kHz would have zero affect on the time alignment feature of the XVX. I really desired the time alignment feature, especially its adjust ability. The time alignment is about first arrival time, which would not be affected by the rear tweeter output.

Although the XVX weighs in at 685 lbs which is quite heavy, it comes in pieces. The woofer bin probably weighs in at 450-500 lbs. Getting a 1,000 pound 750,000 dollar object up any kind of steps could result in a disadvantageous outcome. What would the M9 weigh in at with a conventional aluminium build? 1,500 pounds?? At some point weight does become a factor, a tipping point. The WAMM comes in at 900 lbs but again comes in pieces. However, the WAMM is impractical. It is too tall and too large. Wilson acknowledges this and at 850,000 dollars it is unaffordable to all but a very few. The wonder of the XVX is you get a speaker competitive with the WAMM significantly lighter, more compact, and at one third the price. The XVX mids are new and the rear tweeter is adjustable. Although 329,000 dollars is expensive, I view the XVX quite a bargain. For me I would rather have my XVX/Thor system, than a WAMM system. My single Thor will have as much output as the WAMM subs combined and more low end authority. I want the new alnico mids and the adjustable rear Mark 5 tweeter. The build quality of the XVX is superior to the WAMM because of the new materials used and the new better capacitors.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 06-25-2020 at 05:54 AM.