Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 06-13-2018, 03:37 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Cool setup!

I bet those Auditors sound fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
I am wanting to get away from floorstanders in my family room - been eying stand mounts for some time now, although, I would consider the 803D3. I do have Cremona Auditor Ms in my room upstairs and have thoroughly enjoyed them.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 06-16-2018, 09:16 PM

I have the 805D3 and DB3D--they are awesome! I shopped them against Wilson Sabrinas and a pair of Focals. The thing I love is that they are really a no-compromise combo (if such a thing exists)--terrific highs and detail, but also great lows and musicality/smoothness.

Also--they are in our living room, so looks and size are primary considerations for my wife.

One poster mentioned the importance of crossover point. Don't worry about this--the DB2 app sets the crossover and certain room corrections automatically with B&W speakers. The only adjustment that takes any time is the volume level. You just need to tweak this up and down over time until you get it to the optimal point of feeling the bass but not hearing it--it's very easy.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2018, 05:33 PM

The DB3 is the dual 8” - the bass is adequate for your living room Peter? Do you mind giving your apron room dimensions? Thank you.

Kevin
Old 06-17-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
The DB3 is the dual 8” - the bass is adequate for your living room Peter? Do you mind giving your apron room dimensions? Thank you.

Kevin
I'm traveling, so this is approximate--our house is an open floor plan with the living room along the bottom of an L-shape, and the dining room/kitchen on the other leg of the L. The long walls of the L are both about 25'. My 805s and DB3 are against the long living room wall facing a wall about 14' away, with the other half of the L open nearby on one side, and our front hall open in the other direction. With "only" an MC275 and the sub's built in amp, I can get more volume than I can handle, with no strain. Also, I've adjust the sub level down 7 db.

So my take is that unless your room is too big for the 805s, which would be pretty damn big, then the DB3 is plenty.

One general point though--if you're dropping this much on speakers, I really think you should demo them at home for a few days if at all possible.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:34 AM

Thank you. I will be going to audition in the next few weeks once I return to the States. Unfortunately my local dealer does not have any used D3 on hand to allow me trial in my space. I just need to decide between 805D3 / DB2 or 803D3. He has both to audition in his store. Thanks to all who have replied.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:47 AM

Hello!

I am glad to see you giving the D3 a chance, they are great speakers especially at the price point. My 2 cents - I think the 803D3 is a better speaker given the head, it sounds more open, while the 805D3 sounds more musical at first as the sounds feel more homogenized. The 803D3 will also accommodate a DB2 in the future as well.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
Hello!

I am glad to see you giving the D3 a chance, they are great speakers especially at the price point. My 2 cents - I think the 803D3 is a better speaker given the head, it sounds more open, while the 805D3 sounds more musical at first as the sounds feel more homogenized. The 803D3 will also accommodate a DB2 in the future as well.
I love my 805s. I have not heard the 803s, but I'm pleasantly surprised that my stand mounts can even touch the 803s which are >2X the price and 4X(?) the size
Old 06-30-2018, 08:44 PM

I placed my order for a pair of 805D3 Prestige Series (upgraded finish) and a DB2. I was able to trade my 13yo N804 and ASW800 towards them (no hassle for private sale - worth the difference to me). Awaiting delivery time frame. Smaller 805D3 is more WAF, and finish is superb
Old 06-30-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I placed my order for a pair of 805D3 Prestige Series (upgraded finish) and a DB2. I was able to trade my 13yo N804 and ASW800 towards them (no hassle for private sale - worth the difference to me). Awaiting delivery time frame. Smaller 805D3 is more WAF, and finish is superb

Was there a price premium for the prestige finish?
Old 06-30-2018, 11:39 PM

Yes, retail $1000