AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 08-16-2015, 01:40 PM

Default Gryphon Diablo 300

New incarnation of already excellent SS integrated from the Danish Gryphon Audio has been presented in Munich Hi-Fi show. Except of changed appearance that follows design of Mephisto, they improved preamp with tehnology of their flagship Pandora pre, improved volume control,new improved state of the art parts,redisigned and improved amp with tehnology taken from Mephisto and also more power. Now it goes 300W 8 Ohm - 600W 4 Ohm and 950W in 2 Ohm. This integrated aint cheap...cca 15000Eu will be his price when it gets out in two months...it has optional modules for phono and DAC...dac will be based on much expensive big brother reference Kalliope...dac module will cost about 6000Eu but atleast you can forget about interconnect cable.
what to say...i have original Diablo which is a great product IMO but ten years has passed after Gryphon started production...now they learned enough and better parts are available to make meaningful step up from original Diablo from evolutional sense...they dont have habbit to make new integrated every two years just to make money but with minimal upgrading...in ongoing tradition of Gryphon integrateds i have no doubt they will make even more better amp...i allready talked with my dealer for audition when it comes out...

Gryphon Diablo 300

Kind Regards
Old 08-16-2015, 02:33 PM

One of the most intriguing product launches at the Munich show in May this year. One of the first units will reach our showroom in Stockholm soon. Can't wait
Old 08-22-2015, 12:06 AM

I want one.
Do you think it would too much to have one in a bedroom system?
Old 08-22-2015, 01:55 AM

I listened this device 1 week ago. I am not impressed.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:56 AM

Eisener...i see you are a man of a few words...please, where did you have chance to hear this amp, how long was session, in what conditions was the room you listened and with what speakers, source and cables. Im curious about your refined taste...what pieces of equipment impress you and please if you dont mind list us your impressive system you got at home...i know i sound like KGB agent a little with these questions but we are in a public forum so folks would like to know a few arguments how this or any amp sounds when describing...not just trowing a bone...
Old 08-22-2015, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog031 View Post
Eisener...i see you are a man of a few words...please, where did you have chance to hear this amp, how long was session, in what conditions was the room you listened and with what speakers, source and cables. Im curious about your refined taste...what pieces of equipment impress you and please if you dont mind list us your impressive system you got at home...i know i sound like KGB agent a little with these questions but we are in a public forum so folks would like to know a few arguments how this or any amp sounds when describing...not just trowing a bone...
Speakers - Davis Acoustics, model Cesar.
Cables: 1) acoustic - Micromega, 2) interconnect and power - some american brand, very rare in Ukraine. I don't remember name, I may ask.

It was setup of my friend, I heard these speakers with 4 various amps including Cary SLI-80 and ASR. I know this System about 10 years, after any up-grades my friend always invites me for auditioning.

Room (about 20 sq meters) - acoustically prepared a little bit, but nothing special.

It was my last visit 2 weeks ago, I've been with my companion, we've been dissapointed by sound of System on classical music (big orchestra). System sounds good on small chamber orchestra, jazz and vocal music.

I don't know why this disaster happened - may be just absence of synergy between speakers and amp or something else. But I never met such problem with audio eqiupment with such price tags.

Our verdict was - amp.
It can be taken into consideration as version of course.
Very strange.

Few words re Gryphon brand.
I remember claims on Soundex.ru regarding exfoliation of tracks on plates of Gryphon amps.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:25 AM

I even have 1 photo (forgot about it).

There are feet under CD Player - it's my own manufacture.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:32 AM

Eisener thanx for your time to write this up...Did not heard that model od Davis Acoustic speakers but if im not wrong their retail was about 2500Eu which is very big difference between pedigree of that equipment and Gryphon...Diablo is VERY neutral amp that reveals all good and bad things in system so by my experience it could be system synergy very likely the problem. I know this becuz i have that amp from your picture and that is old Diablo not new and i had chance to try it with more than few cables sources and speakers and the best results was when matched with equipment of similiar pedigree. Im also dissapoined to hear it did not work for you cuz on my Dynaudio C4 mk2, Kuzma Reference mk2 turntable and crystal cables ultra ic and speaker cables actualy works very well with all music but works best with large orchestral music...dynamic, soundstage, details, timber and rest is on level so this statment of yours really suprised me. Maybe you just did not like it...anyway thanx on your time...

Last edited by Raindog031; 12-28-2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under View Post
I want one.
Do you think it would too much to have one in a bedroom system?
no, not too much for bedroom.
it only takes up one space on your rack which is ideal.
will drive any speaker as well, so you can have low-sensitivity mini monitors and such.

having said that, have heard the old diablo, and while it was good, it really is not even close to the gryphon separates that i have heard. the marketing always points to minimal compromise by choosing the integrated approach, but it's much more than that, unfortunately.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:32 AM

Analog brother i agree with your statement, real Gryphon are their "no free lunch" class A separates and stereo amps...Atilla and Diablo are their entry level high bias class A/B components...but their price difference is not to forget...Anitlleon Sig stereo cost about 30K eu and lets say Mirage pre is bout 23K eu...and how much would quality cables cost for them...clearly you must spend fortune to buy their separates (not to mention Mephisto and Pandora)...even in second hand...would like to have them, but back to the real world Diablo IS one of the best and strongest SS one box solution out there if you like the flavor...i wonder how big step up will new Diablo be...