AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 01-19-2015, 06:29 PM

Default Pass Labs Xa200.8 vs. The World?

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm contemplating the big 200.8 mono blocks to power my YG Anat Pro Passives(heh, good pun there). What would you guys compare in price/performance ratio? My preamp is ARC Ref40. Thanks for the ideas.

What got me turned on to Pass was a replacement for an amp failure which led me to a x350.8 powering the YG main modules. Some very nice music has been playing out of them. The allure of more definition and liquidity in character is very appealing in what the XA200.8 may bring

Al
Old 01-20-2015, 02:37 AM

At the price of the XA-200.8, you may be able to find a used XS-150, which is one of the best amps on the planet. No worries picking up used Pass Labs gear, they're built like a tank.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:00 AM

Hi Albikes,

what for speaker you use?

the Pass .8 class A is a great product.

I have the XA100.8 and the XA200.8 (imho) are very "too much" -> a pair of XA160.8 are heaven!

Xs150 second hand? in europa is really not so simple find so a "second life amplifier".

-> vs. the World? well question is what do you search! sure price / perfomance Pass is for me one of top 5 available
Old 01-20-2015, 10:38 AM

My speakers are the YG Anat Pro with passive circuit for the woofers. They crank it out and are very revealing. The XA200.8 is reported by Kent English to delve into the micro dynamics a bit more precisely and powerfully than the X600.8, but still offer enough reserve to get big dynamics playing loudly when you want. It's a tough decision...

Others brought to consider, Specteral, Krell, Dags, but $$$$ wise only the Krells offer a competition for the price. I will try to demo a few of these and make a decision in 1-2months.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albikes View Post
Hello Gentlemen,

I'm contemplating the big 200.8 mono blocks to power my YG Anat Pro Passives(heh, good pun there). What would you guys compare in price/performance ratio? My preamp is ARC Ref40. Thanks for the ideas.

What got me turned on to Pass was a replacement for an amp failure which led me to a x350.8 powering the YG main modules. Some very nice music has been playing out of them. The allure of more definition and liquidity in character is very appealing in what the XA200.8 may bring

Al
Al - You should contact Mark at Reno Hi-Fi to arrange for a "risk-free" home demo of the XA200.8s. If the amps don't work out for you, all you pay is round-trip shipping (or freight in the case of the monster XA200.8s).

I did this when I wanted to try out the XA100.8 and the whole experience was very positive.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
My speakers are the YG Anat Pro with passive circuit for the woofers. They crank it out and are very revealing. The XA200.8 is reported by Kent English to delve into the micro dynamics a bit more precisely and powerfully than the X600.8, but still offer enough reserve to get big dynamics playing loudly when you want. It's a tough decision...

Others brought to consider, Specteral, Krell, Dags, but $$$$ wise only the Krells offer a competition for the price. I will try to demo a few of these and make a decision in 1-2months.

Sorry but the "new" Krell line is sure not at the same level from Pass!!!

Dagostino is not a good ampli. -> great design = 70% from price & 30% piece inside!!!

In Asia the Dag have not a good reputation! 5 ampli over 10 go have some problems!

You have money for the Dag? -> buy FM Acoustic!!!!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:30 PM

Hello Carlos,

Mark at Reno Hi-Fi does give great deals and options to find the best setup in your system. I may step up to the X600.8 monos, then demo the XA200.8 for direct comparison.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Hello Carlos,

Mark at Reno Hi-Fi does give great deals and options to find the best setup in your system. I may step up to the X600.8 monos, then demo the XA200.8 for direct comparison.
Good plan. Let us know what you think (and be sure to get help moving those huge amps around).
Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
At the price of the XA-200.8, you may be able to find a used XS-150, which is one of the best amps on the planet. No worries picking up used Pass Labs gear, they're built like a tank.
I agree with planarspeakerfan that XS-150 is a better amp than XA-200.8.

For amp at this level, the power supply is as important as the amp itself if not more important. With a full size separate power supply for XS-150 for 150W Class A, it clearly has an advantage over the single chassis XA-200.8 with 200W.

I use XS-150 driven by ARC Reference 10 and they are the best sounding combo in my room, at least, best sounding as far.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:59 AM

Thanks for planting the seed of never ending upgrade path. Shouldn't I pay my mortgage off before I buy the XS?