AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tuners

Tuners FM, HD, Satellite

Old 07-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Semi-audiophile

I've heard from Audio Advisor today. The SR-100 is still on backorder.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 08-10-2014, 06:18 AM
Semi-audiophile

I noted there's a M88 for sale at a good price. Maybe this will go away, but I'm now wondering if I would get more stations with the M88, besides the obvious fact that the MD-90 is FM only. I have no business doing this with everything else going on here, but I may look into that idea while I wait for the STILL back-ordered SR-100.

I don't need more stations necessarily, and don't listen to most of the ones I do get, so perhaps it's a waste of time. But a good photo of an interesting product will do that . . .
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 08-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Semi-audiophile

UPDATE: Audio Advisor is expecting their MD order by week's end. They will ship within 24 hours after that.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Semi-audiophile

Finally . . . the SR-100 shipped today! It is being shipped by USPS 2-day Priority Mail. I guess I should have it this weekend or so. Once I get it and set it up, perhaps we'll see what's what.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Semi-audiophile

I am in touch with MD (Jim Richards specifically) and am considering a move to a MD102 (certified used) or the more recent MD105, which replaced the 102. Both, says Mr. Richards, are a little more sensitive than my MD90, so they may be able to pull in a few more stations. There is also the MD90SE, but he made no such statement about it being better than my MD90 at pulling in stations. It should perhaps sound a bit better, at least.

I think I'd like a 102 (if available). But I know the 105, MD's top solid-state tuner, would be a sweet spot; I'd never feel as if I needed to go further. Not that I'll have the money for such things later on.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:06 PM

I have found Jim Richards to be a straight shooter. I have the 108T and it is awesome. Good luck - great products. FM is still my favorite format.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Semi-audiophile

Not sure what I want to do, really. The easiest on my wallet would be a new MD90SE. Part of me wants to go for it with the MD105. A 102 (if available) hits the middle ground just right. It'll be better and more sensititve than the MD90, so I might get another station or two, or some of those I get now better.

I'll get back in touch with Mr. Richards when I have a bit more clarity. The 105 is $3K, I believe; with the trade-in that's still $2200.

And I never actually tried the SR-100 antenna.

Last edited by prepress; 07-09-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:15 PM
McKlipschead

Consider a Terk FM Edge indoor amplified antenna for $35. I have one downstairs in the man cave and it hits like a champ YMMV...

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 07-08-2016, 09:18 PM

Consider also trying a signal sleuth. It straightened out some issues I had with channels I could get and added a few more that I was previously unable to receive. About $400 if I recall - worth a shot.

Best thing though - just bust it for an upgraded unit. I'm listening to the 108T now and it's awesome.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Semi-audiophile

Another exchange with Jim Richards. They have a MD102 with silver faceplate available. I'd prefer a black one, but since they don't have it, I'll have to get used to silver. If I can picture that in my setup, that's the way I'd go. Otherwise, it's the MD90SE or MD105. The 90SE's audio section can be upgraded to 105 status, but I'm not sure my original purpose (a more sensititve tuner) is served by the 90SE. The certified used 102 is the less expensive option over a new 105; let me think . . .