AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Great write-up Kev.

Thank you.
Joe, put the 5 series on your radar if you have the opportunity. I actually had the phone in my hand to order the Pass XP 30 but thought I'd make another call first. This thing makes me almost swoon at times & thats with redbook cd's into the preamp from the OPPO 95
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 PM

A friend of mine uses solution amps with his Wison Maxx 3. Great sound.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 AM

Good write up Kev. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr View Post
Joe, put the 5 series on your radar if you have the opportunity. I actually had the phone in my hand to order the Pass XP 30 but thought I'd make another call first. This thing makes me almost swoon at times & thats with redbook cd's into the preamp from the OPPO 95
Nice report Kev sounds like something to demo someday. I think Joe's radar sector is pretty full.

Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 AM

Ha! John, now that did give me a chuckle...
Old 03-30-2013, 05:37 AM
Life is beautiful

Kev, thank you for sharing.
Nice comparison between these top pre amps.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 AM

Kev,

Was great to catch up again and even more greaterer still to hear your new Soulution.

With only a few days under the Solution's belt its hard to say anything other than if it gets too much better it'll be knocking on the door of Technical Brain territory in the solid state preamp stakes. It was hard to understand how the balance could be so rich without seeming dark at all.

The really big takeaway for me was its speed.

On some of those pieces of music, particularly the second passage of Winter in the Linn 24/192 of Vivaldi Four seasons was just blistering and brilliant. The lead violinist just leapt out of the blocks and was playing like a demon. That was Soulution speed and its all that on a new bit of gear!

The ARC Ref5se is a complete soundstage king but the Soulution was in the same territory completely. The ARC had it for tonal shading but that is completely valve territory and the Soulution was just so very, very strong in so many other areas... the astounding resolution and the rich, electric vitality... It's one of the few times where the foot tapping married with a balance that seemed right with a solid state was like that for me... was just very compelling music making... if it fully blossoms the way of it's early flowering you'll be in a pretty fine garden of complete musical joy I reckon... great bit of gear.

Looking forward to it settling in even more
Graham

Catch up again then... I'll bring the red

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Last edited by audiot servant; 03-30-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
Kev,

Was great to catch up again and even more greaterer still to hear your new Soulution.

With only a few days under the Solution's belt its hard to say anything other than if it gets too much better it'll be knocking on the door of Technical Brain territory in the solid state preamp stakes. It was hard to understand how the balance could be so rich without seeming dark at all.

The really big takeaway for me was its speed.

On some of those pieces of music, particularly the second passage of Winter in the Linn 24/192 of Vivaldi Four seasons was just blistering and brilliant. The lead violinist just leapt out of the blocks and was playing like a demon. That was Soulution speed and its all that on a new bit of gear!

The ARC Ref5se is a complete soundstage king but the Soulution was in the same territory completely. The ARC had it for tonal shading but that is completely valve territory and the Soulution was just so very, very strong in so many other areas... the astounding resolution and the rich, electric vitality... It's one of the few times where the foot tapping married with a balance that seemed right with a solid state was like that for me... was just very compelling music making... if it fully blossoms the way of it's early flowering you'll be in a pretty fine garden of complete musical joy I reckon... great bit of gear.

Looking forward to it settling in even more
Graham

Catch up again then... I'll bring the red

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Wow Graham, you really have your way with words.
If I had money right now, my order would already have been placed.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
Kev, It sounded like you guys had a great time enjoying each others gear. Apparently if someone wanted a more "tube-like" sound from a solid state piece, Soulution should be on the list.

One thing you didn't mention though, how does it sound with your 2301's & Strads?
Or DarTZeel...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Or DarTZeel...
Sorry, I don't do gold teeth.....