AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-13-2022, 08:15 PM

Default Ever blow a fuse on a MC462?

I did. Hope it never happens again. Its not a good feeling when that little red light aint lit.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:18 PM

45 Shoot-

Same here but 75 mono blocks.
Did you replace it and all is well?
Hopefully it didn't blow again as that may constitute servicing.

John
Old 06-13-2022, 09:24 PM

What were you doing when said event occurred?
Old 06-13-2022, 09:38 PM

I did replace it and all is well again as the amp is only 7 onths old...

I was exercising with background music when i noticed the music not playing anymore. Nothing out of the ordinary was going on...
Old 06-14-2022, 09:22 PM

I always considered a blown fuse to be a MAJOR event. So, what the heck happened and where are we post event?
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 06-16-2022, 10:16 PM

Back to business as usual. No problemos
Old 06-22-2022, 01:11 PM
Ice Man

How do you diagnose if you have blown fuse? I have a power outage last night and now my amp won’t fire up. All powers up but meter won’t run and no sound. What might happened? Need suggestions? Thanks!

MC601x2;MC303x1;MC150x1;C50; KRELL Foundation;OPPO95;SONY XA5400;MAC MINI;B&W802D; HTM2D;DB1X2; TANTRA 6.1 X4. JVC RS 45; SI ZERO EDGE.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:18 PM
Retired

Ron - Turn off your amp. Disconnect from the power. Remove and replace the fuse(s) with a properly rated new one(s). Turn the volume down to zero and reconnect and turn on your amp. Slowly turn up the volume. If it was the fuse the amp should be singing merrily.

Or, check the removed fuse(s) continuity with a VOM (volt-ohm meter). If you don't have a VOM, Amazon will likely deliver one to you tomorrow for about $15.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 06-22-2022, 01:36 PM
Ice Man

Ok. Ignore my post. It’s my preamp c1100 glitched. For some reason, I have to go back to set up and play around the with selection output and suddenly sound game back on. Now, is this normal for c1100? I have to move this question to c1100 owners. Cheers!

MC601x2;MC303x1;MC150x1;C50; KRELL Foundation;OPPO95;SONY XA5400;MAC MINI;B&W802D; HTM2D;DB1X2; TANTRA 6.1 X4. JVC RS 45; SI ZERO EDGE.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45shooter View Post
I did replace it and all is well again as the amp is only 7 onths old...

I was exercising with background music when i noticed the music not playing anymore. Nothing out of the ordinary was going on...
Keep an eye on it and warranty time frame. One of my MC275s was blowing fuses, I'd fix it by replacing but the problem persisted with no rhyme or reason. At around three years later I had to replace the fuse for the third time, but this didn't fix it.

I brought it in for service and the repair shop said they will get back to me in around three weeks to let me know what's wrong and an estimate to fix it. He said to email him my paperwork on it, it just so happen to still be under the three year warranty by like two weeks.

The shop called a week later and said it was fixed, he never called me to approve any work, and he jumped right on it. I said mac must have warranted the work? he said yep all taken care of. When I picked it up I asked what was wrong with it, he said it had a loose solder joint and he reflowed it. I don't know if he said this to assure me it was no big deal and nothing else major was wrong with the amp. However it was fixed under warranty and worked.

So my point is, the fuse didn't just blow for no reason, sure it could be a defective fuse and it just let loose and burnt. But if it happens a second time I would have a tech look at it and see why it's happening. Generally if you have issues with new or newer equipment it will show the problem early on in the use of it. Don't just ignore the tell tale signs of something just not right, even if a fuse fixes the amp and gets it working again.

Edit: I should have also mentioned the amps being 275 Mk VI, it has indicator lights and while in use if something happens it will auto shut down and signal tubes will light up red. Now this can be reset turning off the amp and unplugging it. The fuse could be just fine, this had happened also with this amp a few times. The auto shutdown also protected the fuse, so it wasn't always blowing fuses but this is also an early indicator something is just not right.

Last edited by 427; 06-26-2022 at 01:23 PM.