AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 01-16-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
I’m considering purchasing two Rel S510 to add to my B&W 803D3 while they are on sale for Christmas. But I’m wondering, are there better subs available for my situation?
That was similar to my situation also but with smaller mains. The s/812 were just a tad too big got a pair of s/510.

Although I’m not sure how well this all works. 803d3 spec at 19hz -3db. S/510 at 20Hz -6db. Your chain is all analog, you’ll be using the high level input from the amps, regardless how low you tune the rel crossover, there will be lots of low bass overlap. Not sure much this will improve your outfit, would be interesting to hear from others with a similar situation. Rel recommends a s/810 But I’d look at a G1 for your speakers, which you don’t have the space for…
Old 01-16-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I would, if I were you. If I had a spare $1500 bucks to spend on some gear, I would be giving it some serious consideration. And...I have a REL R-305 here that is very nicely integrated.

But, as I'm now a retired guy, my "discretionary spend" for audio gear lately has been going to improving the acoustics of my listening space even further (based on John's excellent V/Coustics vid recently, as well). Just ordered some additional GIK panels and 4 ceiling diffractors.
Stephen, I'm thinking about ceiling diffractors also. What ceiling diffractors did you order? GIK? Thanks, Steve.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
Hi Peter. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was NOT able to do a side by side comparison. In fact, I wasn’t even able to hear the RELs. I did listen to the B&W and JL Audio but not at the same time nor on similar systems so I can’t comment on either, other than to say I liked them both. After talking to a couple individuals (Ivan being one of them ….. thanks Ivan) I ordered two f110v2 yesterday.

Now the dropping of the second hammer. The MEN220 and DARO do not play nice together. At least that is what I’m told by my dealer. I’m going to research that myself. The choice is use the CR-1 or men220 but not both. I’m not sure why I can’t use the DARO first than use the men220 calibration. Either way I’m hoping the JL’s will be easier to calibrate because of the line level inputs rather than REL’s speaker level inputs.

Now the third hammer. If I don’t use the CR-1 I will need a switch box or manually switch the cables out when listening between music and movies. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

I never thought adding a pair of subs to my system would be soooo difficult. Does everyone face these choices or am I doing something wrong.
Now that some time has passed and rereading this thread I felt I should update what ended up happening. I did NOT use a switch box (passive preamp) because I didn’t need one. After talking with Ryan here and information from a JL Audio tech it was possible to have both connections running into the sub at the same time. One connection coming from the AV receiver and the other from the men220. Next JL Audio has well written instructions on how to setup and integrate into main speakers while considering surround sound systems. Everything worked out well in the end.

Now I think I’m going to upset the apple cart one more time. But more about that later. I’ll give you a one word hint …….. “nearfield subs” ok two

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500