AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 10-18-2021, 12:26 PM

Default Review of Sonos Amp/Sonos Sub with Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos

The Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos (GM) is a legacy speaker now, the name inspired by the violin maker Giuseppe Guarneri due to techniques of the great violin maker and exude craftmanship. These are one of the most beautiful bookshelf speakers in my opinion and the most versatile. The speakers come in a beautiful wooden crate and the grill are silk like strings which also run vertically in the speaker stands solidly anchored by the weight of slabs of Italian stone at the bottom. The GM is a 2 way speaker, lute shape design, constrained-mode damping, enclosure formed using 21 pieces of hand selected solid maple wood.
Frequency response: 39 hz - 30.000 hz, tuning port included.
- Sensitivity: 88 db spl (2,83 v/1 m).
- Nominal impedance: 4 ohm.
- Power handling: 30w - 200w, without clipping.
- Finish: red violin piano gloss.
- Dimensions (with stand): 1230 x 300 x 480 mm (hxwxd).
- Weight (*with stand): 87,4* kg per pair - net weight / 113,5 kg per pair shipping weight. Here is a link to the old brochure: https://www.technologyfactory.eu/dat...Collection.pdf

While these speakers have very decent bass for the size I previously had the GM in my Mcintosh home theater system paired two JL Audio F112 subwoofers and let me tell you they sounded great ! I compared them to my Sonos Faber Elipsa’s I had and the Stradivaris. My Elipsa’s are gone now. I am using the GM as a stereo speaker now with a Sonos amp with their powered sub. . The crossover over frequency sounds best around 78-80 hz allowing the amp/speakers to play midrange/highs without any strain. The Sonos amp is class d rated at 125 w into 8 ohms and around 200 w into 4 ohms at less then .1 % HD. For around $1200 for the Sonos amp and sub this sounds way better than it should for that amount of money. The Sonos amp is only able to do redbook quality , no HD or MQA . It does work as a roon endpoint which is nice as well as have a Sonos app which allows you to play multiple zones individually or all simultaneously. While I would not say the Sonos amp/sub is “high end audio” it is quite listenable and a audio bargain. This is not going to be as precise sounding as a higher end amp/sub combination but it is very musical . My two favorite genre are blues and rock. Listening to Keb mo -Soon as I get Paid the bass is rich and powerful without being boomy. Rock music sounds good at medium volumes as well. So the bottom line is this will not be the last amp./sub combo I play with the GM as I have plans to use the Sonos amp/sub with some outdoor speakers in the future. Playing speakers that originally listed for 16 k with $1200 electronics has proven the speakers are the most important part of the system

Last edited by 1KW; 10-18-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:07 PM

Is this a joke? AA is a high end Audio Forum, please.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereohead View Post
Old 10-18-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Playing speakers that originally listed for 16 k with $1200 electronics has proven the speakers are the most important part of the system

It may also show that class D amps are getting better all the time.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-18-2021, 10:20 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereohead View Post

It’s not a joke. David can afford what he needs and is transitioning homes from the north east to the south East. He has previously stated this is a transition setup and is just reporting that it is working well for him.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 10-19-2021, 07:16 AM

Not a joke.

Sonos can put serious talent and economies of scale behind their products. If you are pursuing the top 1% of performance, Sonos is not your choice, but hard to argue the value proposition.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 10-19-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:04 AM

This was an entertaining read and must have been a fun exercise to do with high-end speakers + mass market electronics, thanks OP! Reminds me of when I first picked up my Olympicas and ran them through my old Emotiva stack, haha...
Old 10-19-2021, 03:31 PM
Member of the Music Squad

I've had the same kind of fun driving my Elipsas with the 180$ TubeCube 7 (EL84 2x3.5W)
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 10-19-2021, 04:22 PM

I should mention I also have the new Sonos Amp driving a pair of B&W 685's in a separate room. Working great and functions like all Sonos equipment as a Roon endpoint.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 10-19-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:44 PM
Life is beautiful

Nice post David!

In between amps a couple of years ago, our Vivids were driven quite efficiently by our Yamaha R-N803 D amp, which cost us 500€ (second hand, retail 900€).
It has a streamer, DAC and headphone amp on board, and was defending itself really well.

Not the sound we currently have of course, but very decent.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables