AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 05-11-2021, 10:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Harbeth 30.2 in-room measurements with REW 5.20

Got my new Dayton NIST-traceable calibration USB mic today from MiniDSP today. Only $89. Measurements are now easier as I don’t need to use the M-Audio mic preamp anymore, just plug in to a USB port and go.

With that, I decided to do some in-room measurements of my Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniv speakers using REW 5.20. The responses were based on where I had previously set the controls my REL R-305 to integrate with my larger Dynaudio Contour S3.4s back in the day, so the sub has not been "optimized" for the 'Beth. I just plugged in the mic, attached the output cables and measured both the L and R channels from one of my reference listening positions (the quasi-nearfield equilateral triangle listening position). The mic was set at 90° (vertical) and the height was at my ear level. All measurements of positions of the speakers to the front wall, toe-in, and mic positions were measured using a laser tape measure. The 90° mic calibration file was used as the reference mic file. Target SPL was 74 dB, which is about as loud as I ever listen.

Shown here are the individual left and right Harbeth 30.2 frequency response plots in REW, using 1/3 octave smoothing. Red is the right channel, Green is the Left channel.

This plot depicts the L and R channels "averaged" in REW. Still using 1/3 octave smoothing.

Overall, not bad. I'll likely go back and tweak the settings on the sub a bit, but pretty pleased with how close this is out of the box, so to speak.

Overall, the 'Beths are pretty smooth across the board.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:11 AM
Racing Hoopties

Where are you crossing the sub and mains?
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 05-13-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Got my new Dayton NIST-traceable calibration USB mic today from MiniDSP today. Only $89.
Dayton or UMIK-1?

BTW, vertical axis scale (SPL) is not good. On your graphs, measurements appear to be more flat than they really are.

To be consistent, REW best practices suggests the vertical axis scale should be 60 dB starting at 45 dB and ending at 105 dB SPL. Smoothing should be 1/6 octave.

Also, it's not bad to provide two sets of graphs/measurements with different horizontal axis - in order to provide more details of bass FR:
1. 15-200 Hz
2. 15-25000 Hz

Last edited by Delija; 05-13-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:46 PM

Interesting Stephen. I’m familiar with log sine sweep measurement of electro-acoustic systems but not familiar with REW.

Does REW allow you to access the calculated impulse response of the system?

It would be great if you could post it.

Does it allow you to window the loudspeaker time response when making the final FFT?

Just curious.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-14-2021, 12:15 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
Dayton or UMIK-1?

BTW, vertical axis scale (SPL) is not good. On your graphs, measurements appear to be more flat than they really are.

To be consistent, REW best practices suggests the vertical axis scale should be 60 dB starting at 45 dB and ending at 105 dB SPL. Smoothing should be 1/6 octave.

Also, it's not bad to provide two sets of graphs/measurements with different horizontal axis - in order to provide more details of bass FR:
1. 15-200 Hz
2. 15-25000 Hz
From everything I can tell, comparing my Dayton EMM-6 and the new UMIK-1 side-by-side , the UMIK-1 mic looks to be made by Dayton; they appear as nearly identical, except for the plug end, as two mics could be. The Dayton mic is a skosh longer at the plug end, I presume, to accomodate an XLR mic cable.

I used 1/3 octave smoothing because that is what Danny Richie uses with his CLIO system.

If I have time today, perhaps I'll go back and replot the data. This isn't a PhD thesis; I just wanted to tweak the REL's setting to better match the Harbeths as it was originally set for my big Dyns.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-14-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:19 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Interesting Stephen. I’m familiar with log sine sweep measurement of electro-acoustic systems but not familiar with REW.

Does REW allow you to access the calculated impulse response of the system?

It would be great if you could post it.

Does it allow you to window the loudspeaker time response when making the final FFT?

Just curious.

Tom
Hey Tom,
Yes, I believe so. I just used it at its default settings. When I get a chance, I'll go back and post the default settings and the impulse plot. I can post the spectral decay, too.

BTW, REW is free and available here: https://www.roomeqwizard.com

The landing page will provide a lot more information for you than I could here. There's a lot to dig into, and it's free. It seems to be a good option without having to buy a CLIO System.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:33 PM

Thanks, I’ll dig into it. I know a lot of folks use it.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-14-2021, 05:57 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Thanks, I’ll dig into it. I know a lot of folks use it.
Cheers, mate.

I'll go back and post answers to your questions when I get a chance later today.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:35 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Stephen, thanks for sharing your findings, very interesting!

Please check my exchanges with Danny in the comments section under his latest video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irdIUAcA7MU&t=31s

It's all arranged... he's waiting for your speakers
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 06-18-2021, 03:12 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
Stephen, thanks for sharing your findings, very interesting!

Please check my exchanges with Danny in the comments section under his latest video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irdIUAcA7MU&t=31s

It's all arranged... he's waiting for your speakers
Thanks, Joel.

I might actually do that now that my GR-Research X-LS Encores are fully run-in. They've opened up and fleshed out nicely!