AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Marantz

Marantz Life Amplified

Old 09-01-2020, 04:06 PM

They haven't released US pricings for US market in USD.

I noticed both the Model 30 Integrated & SACD 30N lack XLR balanced connectivities.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
They haven't released US pricings for US market in USD.

I noticed both the Model 30 Integrated & SACD 30N lack XLR balanced connectivities.
The lack of XLR made me think there'll be a Reference series coming out in the future.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
The lack of XLR made me think there'll be a Reference series coming out in the future.
Even not all Marantz Reference series products have XLR connections. Only the SA-10 & PM-10 have XLR. Everything below them aren't equipped with XLR.
However, some of Marantz HT products are equipped with XLR connectivities such as the AV8805/8802/8801, AV7705/7704/7703/7702 HT processors as well as the MM8807 seven-channel power amp but none of these are fully balanced design or true differential design internally.
But I believed the Reference series SA-10 & PM-10 are true differential or fully balanced design internally.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Even not all Marantz Reference series products have XLR connections. Only the SA-10 & PM-10 have XLR. Everything below them aren't equipped with XLR.
However, some of Marantz HT products are equipped with XLR connectivities such as the AV8805/8802/8801, AV7705/7704/7703/7702 HT processors as well as the MM8807 seven-channel power amp but none of these are fully balanced design or true differential design internally.
But I believed the Reference series SA-10 & PM-10 are true differential or fully balanced design internally.
The AV8805 is also fully balance internally unlike the AV7705
Old 09-02-2020, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer6 View Post
The AV8805 is also fully balance internally unlike the AV7705
Really? Ok, that's good to know. Thanks for clarifying that. Cause I think I was told that the AV8801/8802 aren't true differential / fully balanced design internally. It's quite surprising to find that the AV8805 is true differential or fully balanced design internally considering its retail price of only $4500.

Take an example of Classe's entry level lower priced Sigma SSP av pre pro (original retail of $5k & $6k for the Mkii version). Only the front LR channels of the Sigma SSP are true differential or fully balanced design whereas the rest of the channels are single ended design (good quality single-ended design) in order for Classe to bring down the cost and price of the Sigma SSP. I had a conversation with Classe's Dave Neauber, who's a head of Classe, upon the release of the Sigma SSP in 2014/2015 regarding the many sacrifices that Classe had to make in order to bring the cost down on the Sigma SSP, which retails for roughly only half of that of the SSP 800, without sacrificing sound quality.

Dave told me that it's very costly to design and execute a proper very good quality true differential or fully balanced design circuitry, and so instead Classe only implemented proper true differential or fully balanced design for only front LR channels on the Sigma SSP and decided to implement and execute good quality single-ended design circuitry for the remaining channels. Cause if you weren't executing a true differential or fully balanced circuitry properly you would wind up amplifying noise further. So, due to budget and cost constraint in order to make a lower priced AV pre pro (Sigma SSP) Dave told me that they decided to go with good quality single-ended design circuitry for the center, surround & subwoofer channels.

There are other sacrifices that Classe had to make in order to design and build a lower priced AV pre pro (Sigma SSP) without sacrificing sound quality. One is the omission of the multi-channel analog audio inputs normally found in many AV processors and AVRs. There are only 2 pairs of stereo analog audio inputs (XLR & RCA) found on the Sigma SSP.
The other is the omission of analog video components connectivities and few other minor connectivities. The rear panel of the Sigma SSP looks more like a typical stereo preamp than a typical home theater surround sound processors due to lack of connectivities / connections found in many typical HT surround sound processors.

Last edited by Dilettante; 09-02-2020 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Really? Ok, that's good to know. Thanks for clarifying that. Cause I was told that the AV8801/8802 aren't true differential / fully balanced design internally.
Do not know about them but it was a specific question yesterday at the webinar for the series 30 launch. AV8805 is fully balanced.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer6 View Post
Do not know about them but it was a specific question yesterday at the webinar for the series 30 launch. AV8805 is fully balanced.
Really? Ok, that's good to know. Thanks for clarifying that. Cause I think I was told that the AV8801/8802 aren't true differential / fully balanced design internally. It's quite surprising to find that the AV8805 is true differential or fully balanced design internally considering its retail price of only $4500.

Take an example of Classe's entry level lower priced Sigma SSP av pre pro (original retail of $5k & $6k for the Mkii version). Only the front LR channels of the Sigma SSP are true differential or fully balanced design whereas the rest of the channels are single ended design (good quality single-ended design) in order for Classe to bring down the cost and price of the Sigma SSP. I had a conversation with Classe's Dave Neauber, who's a head of Classe, upon the release of the Sigma SSP in 2014/2015 regarding the many sacrifices that Classe had to make in order to bring the cost down on the Sigma SSP, which retails for roughly only half of that of the SSP 800, without sacrificing sound quality.

Dave told me that it's very costly to design and execute a proper very good quality true differential or fully balanced design circuitry, and so instead Classe only implemented proper true differential or fully balanced design for only front LR channels on the Sigma SSP and decided to implement and execute good quality single-ended design circuitry for the remaining channels. Cause if you weren't executing a true differential or fully balanced circuitry properly you would wind up amplifying noise further. So, due to budget and cost constraint in order to make a lower priced AV pre pro (Sigma SSP) Dave told me that they decided to go with good quality single-ended design circuitry for the center, surround & subwoofer channels.

There are other sacrifices that Classe had to make in order to design and build a lower priced AV pre pro (Sigma SSP) without sacrificing sound quality. One is the omission of the multi-channel analog audio inputs normally found in many AV processors and AVRs. There are only 2 pairs of stereo analog audio inputs (XLR & RCA) found on the Sigma SSP.
The other is the omission of analog video components connectivities and few other minor connectivities. The rear panel of the Sigma SSP looks more like a typical stereo preamp than a typical home theater surround sound processors due to lack of connectivities / connections found in many typical HT surround sound processors.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:33 AM

I think Marantz missed the boat on the styling, vintage is hot right now and if they brought back some of the 70's styling similar to what Yamaha and Technics have been doing with their integrated amps, I think it would have really been a hit.

I mean who wouldn't love some blue VU meters?
Old 09-02-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolsey01 View Post
I think Marantz missed the boat on the styling, vintage is hot right now and if they brought back some of the 70's styling similar to what Yamaha and Technics have been doing with their integrated amps, I think it would have really been a hit.

I mean who wouldn't love some blue VU meters?
I think blue VU meters are trademark for McIntosh only. No other brands have blue VU meters, they have VU meters but not blue. Only Mac products have blue VU meters.

Yamaha has always had the same somewhat vintage styling with VU meters the whole time. Luxman & Accuphase are the same way. These guys have kept the same or very similar stylings since the 70s until today.

When Technics made a comeback within the last decade they too kept their similar vintage styling with VU meters.

Mac blue VU meters are my personal favorite VU meter styling, especially their monoblock amps with huge blue VU meter.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:59 PM

Default There is a review already on the model 30. Also some intro vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnqOFiA7JKM&t=791s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9FQGxD5L_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr1AIw1yjkk