AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 09-21-2019, 01:22 PM

Default VPI Platter Spindle Lube Question

VPI states you should lubricate the platter spindle bearing once per year to cut down on wear. My spindle has white grease on it from the factory. VPI didn’t provide any instructions with their lube on whether one should wipe the original grease off or apply a few drops of lube directly to the existing grease.

Has anyone done the spindle lube maintenance before and can share some advice?

Thanks.
Listening Room – MC2301s, C2300, VPI Prime Sig. Rosewood, w/Fatboy 10” Tonearm, SDS, Periphery Ring, Dynavector DRT XV-1s, Sutherland LittleLOCO Mk2, Harbeth SHL5, Skylan Stands, Synergistic Research: Record Clamp, PowerCell SX, Active Ground Block, Galileo Discovery PCs, Atmosphere X Euphoria ICs, Phono and Speaker Cables, GIK Impression Series Diffusers and Acoustimac DMD Panels, CA Double Matrix Pro Sonic RCM

Theater Room - 7.2.4, Marantz SR7012 & MM7025, Klipsch: RF-7 III, RP-450C, RP-160M, R-112SW Atmos: CDT 5800-CII, Sunfire True EQ Sub, Samsung 75” Q60R QLED 4K UHD TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray, VPI Scoutmaster, Clearaudio Maestro, Cambridge Audio 640P, PS Audio PPP

Office - Fisher 500C, Denon DP-59L, Audio Technica AT14S Cartridge, Bluesound NODE, Acoustic Research AR-3a, Technics RS 1500

Vintage System - Pioneer SX 1980, Jolida JD100 CD, JBL Studio Monitors 4425

Semper Fidelis Teufel Hunden
Old 09-21-2019, 02:26 PM

Take a look at the link below.

https://youtu.be/AHmYWT3wKqs

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:40 PM

I should probably get on that with my TT, the platter also needs a serious polishing to get rid of fingerprints.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Take a look at the link below.

https://youtu.be/AHmYWT3wKqs
Thank you Audiophilehi, this was helpful. I ordered synthetic white grease from Amazon, I will do the maintenance tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
I should probably get on that with my TT, the platter also needs a serious polishing to get rid of fingerprints.
Listening Room – MC2301s, C2300, VPI Prime Sig. Rosewood, w/Fatboy 10” Tonearm, SDS, Periphery Ring, Dynavector DRT XV-1s, Sutherland LittleLOCO Mk2, Harbeth SHL5, Skylan Stands, Synergistic Research: Record Clamp, PowerCell SX, Active Ground Block, Galileo Discovery PCs, Atmosphere X Euphoria ICs, Phono and Speaker Cables, GIK Impression Series Diffusers and Acoustimac DMD Panels, CA Double Matrix Pro Sonic RCM

Theater Room - 7.2.4, Marantz SR7012 & MM7025, Klipsch: RF-7 III, RP-450C, RP-160M, R-112SW Atmos: CDT 5800-CII, Sunfire True EQ Sub, Samsung 75” Q60R QLED 4K UHD TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray, VPI Scoutmaster, Clearaudio Maestro, Cambridge Audio 640P, PS Audio PPP

Office - Fisher 500C, Denon DP-59L, Audio Technica AT14S Cartridge, Bluesound NODE, Acoustic Research AR-3a, Technics RS 1500

Old 09-23-2019, 11:06 AM

perfect timing to see this post! very helpful
Old 09-23-2019, 11:24 AM

These are very handy:

https://smile.amazon.com/Super-Lube-...gateway&sr=8-1
Old 09-23-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolsey01 View Post
Indeed they are.

I completed the maintenance yesterday and found the grease on top of the spindle dried out and caked on the sides. I cleaned everything up, place a dollop of the new grease and placed the platter back in place. I then added the super lube to the motor spindle.

Prior to this I had a faint hum or slight whirling sound, I could never figure out. That noise is now gone, I highly recommend doing this maintenance.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolsey01 View Post
do you use this for motor and platter?

in video they mention super lube for motor and synthetic grease for platter.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep View Post
do you use this for motor and platter?

in video they mention super lube for motor and synthetic grease for platter.
Lube for platters with inverted bearings. Also can be used under the brass collar/bushing on the motor if you are getting any noise from it but normally oil for the motor.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:30 PM

I finally had some downtime and my new belt for my Classic 2 arrived, so I decided to do some maintenance. I lubed the bearing, didn't use oil on the motor since it's running quiet, put the new belt on and using the KAB strobe disc I was running over 1% off. I decided to clean off all the old lube that was on the spindle (the shaft the platter sits on) and inside the platter. Some dirty stuff in there. Put the platter back on and the speed is pretty much dead on, I didn't see any drift. So there you have it, scientific proof that this maintenance keeps your TT happy and playing at the proper speed.