AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Marantz

Marantz Life Amplified

Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM

Default Marantz UD9004

I bought a new (to me) Marantz UD9004 . It should arrive in a week.

I was originally going to get the OPPO 105 to replace my 95, but the sound quality worries me. I was never happy with my 95 after the MVP871. The 95 sounds more "impressive" at first with better dynamic, bass, etc. But, it was never musical. I couldn't listen to it for an extended period of time. It's got all the bells and whistles, but if the sound doesn't satisfy me, none of that matters.

I came upon a used UD9004 for a great price, so I decided to do some research on this old flagship unit. It turned out the unit's audio section was based on the Marantz Reference SA7-S1 that sells for $7K. Users report the UD9004 sounds better than the SA11-S2 and SA-KI Pearl. In fact, the UD9004's sound quality approaches the SA7-S1. Plus, a majority of people that owns Marantz are extremely happy, especially for the price/performance ration. I decided to purchase it.

This machines uses the 32bit/192khz AK4399 DAC. It has the ability to turn off all video/display/digital out circuit when playing music. I'll be using the balanced output
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM

Thr UD9004 is a great player, only bested by the MVP 881. They share the same software and same features. At one time I had the UD9004, Oppo 93, 95, and the MVP 881. The Mcintosh was the clear winner in every department except video, which all where excellent.

I still have my 881 and onle use the Oppo for pal stufs and 3D.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 PM

Hi Tommy

Good to see you found a 9004. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Would you mind PMing me what you payed? Still trying to determine a price point for mine once I get it serviced.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Hi Tommy

Good to see you found a 9004. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Would you mind PMing me what you payed? Still trying to determine a price point for mine once I get it serviced.

Thanks
Dave, I sent you a PM. I would have bought yours, but the seller I bought mine from lives in Canada, so the transaction and shipping is easier.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereotek View Post
Thr UD9004 is a great player, only bested by the MVP 881. They share the same software and same features.
I wouldn't limit it to these 2 players.
There is also the top Denon, the Primare, Ayre DX-5, ....
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
I wouldn't limit it to these 2 players.
There is also the top Denon, the Primare, Ayre DX-5, ....
I've had the top Denon--before BluRay--the 5910, and now the Marantz 9004. Both are extremely high quality with great audio. I bought the 5910 to hold me over till eht whole BluRay/HD-DVD thing was settled, because it had world class video upsampling, for its day.

But both it and the Marantz are highly finicky with certain discs, and getting repairs is very difficult because there are no authorized service centers anywhere near Albuquerque. Also, I do believe they used Babelfish to translate the manuals into English.

So for now I'm going with an Oppo 103 as a transport only into my Bryston SP3, hoping life will be simpler. We shall see!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM

I purchased the UD9004 because of its attractive price compared to the Ayre and Primare. I will not purchase any new Bpd over 2k. Video changes too fast. 4K is just around the corner. I learned the hard way with my MVP871. Never again.

There are a few Marantz service centre within driving distance, so I am not too worried. Not so with the Ayre and Primare.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 PM

Received my UD9004 today

Doing some testing on BD discs now.

I found a user replaceable fuse. It's T3.15A. Should I get the Furutech or Hifi-Tuning Supreme or Synergistic Research fuse? Any one tried SR fuses?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 PM

Good news! Let us know how you like it.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Received my UD9004 today

Doing some testing on BD discs now.

I found a user replaceable fuse. It's T3.15A. Should I get the Furutech or Hifi-Tuning Supreme or Synergistic Research fuse? Any one tried SR fuses?
Tommy.......Congratulations on the new Marantz UD9004. I would not replace the fuse in the player at this time. Let the UD9004 get broken in and become familiar with it. Once you are comfortable that it is sounding it's best then perhaps a HIFi Tuning Supreme fuse may improve the performance. Unless you are familiar enough with the UD9004, you may not realize what changes may or may not have taken place.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A