AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Klipsch Speakers

Klipsch Speakers Power. Detail. Emotion.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:42 AM

A dealer I know very well says the fit and finish on the new sealed Khorns doesn't match up with the 70 reissue or the pair he owns from the late 90's.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:17 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWInsall View Post
A dealer I know very well says the fit and finish on the new sealed Khorns doesn't match up with the 70 reissue or the pair he owns from the late 90's.
Wow. That is surprising.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, this is really surprising cause the 70th Anniversary is just not too long ago. On the contrary, the AK6 should be made even better as its the product that will carry them onwards till the 80th Anniversary Edition being released.

Plus, this is one bad ass speaker that goes beyond the 20k Hz ... not something I can hear (mine probably 16kHz at most), but surely, the "feel" of the extra KHz would be nice to have (though may not be heard, I speak for myself).

Is it just the pair your dealer have that exhibits this workmanship flaw? Cant be the whole line in production. Klipsch quality control can't be that bad after the 70th Anniversary. Thats my point of view.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:16 AM

An acquaintance of mine went to see the kornerhorns that don't have to be placed in corners and he says the fit and finish is just not the same as the older K-horns. But that you'll have to judge for yourselves. Early production units can be less than perfect, no matter who builds them. I still say the two sets of Rosewood K-horns we sold were the prettiest Klipsch. speakers I have ever seen. And a Paragon is mighty impressive, but didn't compare.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:08 AM

Most older men who can afford new Klipschorns can't hear much above 7 or 8 kHz any way, so the new tweeter is of no significance. I can still hear 17 Khz and prefer the old T-35 tweeter as there was a slight roll-off that rendered live recordings very well. The newer tweeters and crossover used could get a little irritating for me back in the 80's and 90's. I am looking forward to hearing the new Klipsch horns. But I will be more interested in bass performance from 200 Hz down, I chose Concert Grands in the early 70's over Klipschorns then because of bass performance. It. will be interesting to see how the new corner horn models perform today. I preferred Cornwalls in the 60's when I was in college that my room mate had . Only Stacked ML-4's and XR 290's have out performed my tri- amped Grands. Snell A7 were tempting, but no cigar. I hope to audition Magico S7 later on this month. Point source speakers are always compromised seems to me though. Especially used in larger rooms. So I am not expecting a great revelation when auditioning the S7 as I wasn't that happy with the S5 in the bass and most importantly the lower midrange.

Last edited by TWInsall; 07-05-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:21 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Most older men who can afford new Klipschorns can't hear much above 7 or 8 kHz any way, so the new tweeter is of no significance. I can still hear 17 Khz and prefer the old T-35 tweeter as there was a slight roll-off that rendered live recordings very well. The newer tweeters and crossover used could get a little irritating for me back in the 80's and 90's. I am looking forward to hearing the new Klipsch horns. But I will be more interested in bass performance from 200 Hz down, I chose Concert Grands in the early 70's over Klipschorns then because of bass performance. It. will be interesting to see how the new corner horn models perform today. I preferred Cornwalls in the 60's when I was in college that my room mate had . Only Stacked ML-4's and XR 290's have out performed my tri- amped Grands. Snell A7 were tempting, but no cigar. I hope to audition Magico S7 later on this month. Point source speakers are always compromised seems to me though. Especially used in larger rooms. So I am not expecting a great revelation when auditioning the S7 as I wasn't that happy with the S5 in the bass and most importantly the lower midrange.
Love K-horns. My favorite speaker I have ever owned. But DAMN....they are big.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:20 PM

The recent Stereophile review of the AK6 was extremely disappointing. I have always been a Klipsch fan. I have heard the Khorns several times and always found their sound very appealing. The last time was in the 1990's in the very large basement of a very wealthy individual as part of his home theater system professionally installed. The sound was very comparable to my Genesis II system at my home. Since I was so very impressed, when the mag came I immediately went to the review. I would describe the Khorn sound that I remember as open, smooth and extremely dynamic with excellent hard hitting bass. It seemed that there was no dynamic limitation at all, very much like live very well amplified rock music. The review has come as a shock to me.

Last edited by Charles; 08-12-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:01 PM

A close friend of mine upgraded to the klipschhorns from the lascalas and I remember him expecting a different bass presentation and being seriously disappointed and wanted the store to buy them back to which they told him they just needed time to break in. I remember him calling me one day to tell me his tonearm jumped tracks from a bass note he didn’t even hear. I don’t know about that, but I remember being impressed by female vocalist and live recordings at his house. I find klipsch and Martin Logan speakers to be impressive short term but a bit too busy for me to settle into. My buddy found my system to be boring. Go figure
Old 08-20-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
A close friend of mine upgraded to the klipschhorns from the lascalas and I remember him expecting a different bass presentation and being seriously disappointed and wanted the store to buy them back to which they told him they just needed time to break in. I remember him calling me one day to tell me his tonearm jumped tracks from a bass note he didn’t even hear. I don’t know about that, but I remember being impressed by female vocalist and live recordings at his house. I find klipsch and Martin Logan speakers to be impressive short term but a bit too busy for me to settle into. My buddy found my system to be boring. Go figure
Years ago the Klipschorn was one of the speakers for an ultimate system. It was billed as one of the one or two speakers that could reproduce a 32 Hz note at full volume efficiently. Specifically Also Sprach Zarathustra the opening sustained double C on the organ. The speaker could indeed do this. I heard it do so in a very huge auditorium. It was amazing. What has happened to this speaker? I think Klipsch deserves to provide an explanation.