AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-27-2022, 04:56 PM
Retired

Have zero problem with HD generated noise with my Sony or Yamaha tuners and did not with my Accuphase tuner when it was my main FM-squeeze.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 06-27-2022, 08:30 PM

I think we may have different definitions of what HD radio self noise is. Here's a pretty good explanation of how analog FM gets corrupted by so-called HD.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:41 PM

Brian’s info referenced above is spot on.

Any tuner with high quality post detection filtering will reduce HD self noise. This knocks out older tube tuners for sure. They are, in a word, obsolete.

More modern tuners may have better post detection filtering or DSP based post detection filtering which would be even better. That’s probably my why many HD tuners have lower self noise when forced into analog mode.

I was shocked to find WFMT using HD subcarriers. They were the paragon of quality back in the day. Just outstanding sonics. I would write them a letter to complain that you are getting unacceptable levels of self noise and will cancel your subscription if they don’t cease using HD subcarriers.

The only way to completely eliminate HD self noise is to:
Listen in mono, or
Eliminate the subcarriers that cause it. That’s up to the station.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-17-2022, 08:05 PM

Can y'all tell me why u don't like HD radio??? I have it in my car and I like it. Here in New Orleans we have some really good community & college radio stations that I would love to listen to in my house, but I can't find any HD tuners.

What is bad about HD radio and why aren't they making HD tuners?
Old 07-18-2022, 08:33 AM
Retired

HD is fine for automobiles where road noise makes it nearly impossible to have true "high-fidelity". For serious listening, it is anything but high-fidelity and does not compare to a well broadcast FM signal received on a good antenna and a good tuner. HD was a bad solution to a problem that did not exist. As a result, many stations that bought into the "bill of goods" that IBOC was selling have since removed their HD broadcast equipment. HD also has the capability to create 'self-noise' on FM broadcasts as it rides as side-bands on the FM signal and many tuners do not have the filters needed to remove same. Tuner manufacturers were smarter than many broadcast stations and saw HD for what it was and did not bother with the expense of adding to most all tuners. Especially over the recent years.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-18-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
HD ... is anything but high-fidelity and does not compare to a well broadcast FM signal received on a good antenna and a good tuner ...
+1. So-called "HD" radio is lossy digital. There's more info on its limitations in posts earlier in this thread. If there are HD channels you enjoy, you might get better fidelity if you can find those same channels streaming.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:02 PM

You guys realize HD doesn't mean "high definition"?

Last edited by Maks; 07-18-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
You guys realize HD doesn't mean "high definition"?
Correct. It doesn't mean "hybrid digital" either.
It actually stands for ... nothing.
Which, given what I think about so-called "HD" radio, is oddly appropriate.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:43 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Real HD Audio

https://www.realhd-audio.com/?tag=mark-waldrep

Last edited by JBT; 07-18-2022 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
That guy is still around? Did his Kickstarter campaign ever take off?