AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-20-2022, 06:05 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
That's s good rule of thumb. But it's based on human perception so there is plenty of room for individual differences. To me 6dB, or roughly 4x power, sounds a lot louder and might be a more reasonable "twice as loud" increment. It's still logarithmic / geometric, just not conveniently tied to our whole 10 fingers / 10 toes for counting in base-10, which doesn't seem like it has to apply to our ears.

Anyways, the key message of this thread should be the "and just a little bit louder now..." iteration game is a dangerous one to play for our ears. Try to find a happy reference volume level, and stick close to it over a session. Unfortunately the recording levels of different programs can vary a LOT, which makes this tricky. Digital recordings and alternate formats (surround sound) have made it MUCH more difficult to find the "right level" from album to album. With vinyl LPs you'll notice the majority are cut at a very similar level, because any less or more caused major problems for the medium! The McIntosh power meters can actually be a handy guide here.
I think so too. The meters are important to me because my speakers are rated at 300w and my amps at 500w. I base my volume levels on that, so my standard listening level is 42 and I adjust accordingly from there. If the recording is loud, I back off a bit; others need a touch more. Only with LPs do I go beyond 45 volume, because that's a lower output source. Maybe an additional factor is that the room is relatively small at 14 x 18.5' and the system is on a long wall, firing across the short dimension.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 06-20-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Charles - Did you go roller skating or was that picture accidentally stuck in there??

- Buck
T-Stacks

Antonio

Buck, just saw your post. That pic was taken by me at Rivergate Skate Center in Madison, TN where I skate. I went skating last night. Didn't take any pics. Had an absolute blast. I have so many skating buddies, you wouldn't believe, because I'm 73 going on 74. They call me a superstar because I skate like I'm 30.

Last night the greatest skater in America, T-Stacks Frank, was there the whole time. The physical abilities and raw talent that is on this rink is something to behold. There are Olympic class athletes performing every night. I thought I was a good skater, until I found this rink. I'm nothing in absolute terms but quite good for age 73

I have never seen any athlete that compares to T-Stack. Last night there were two women, I believe they were twins, that were unbelievable. And you should see their skates. Incredible. Mine cost 1,200.00 but are average out there. My friend Antonio can skate rings around me. He comes out with new skates and wheels every month. It's like entering into a new universe, when you step onto the floor at Rivergate. I love to dance.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 06-20-2022 at 12:01 PM.