AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 10-10-2020, 11:03 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
Pity this thread is a bit sleepy. Would be great for the more easy questions and answers, like:

Is there someone who has left after a time the Dynaudio speakers for another brand? My (mostly) better half is hating as long I own them, my Confidence C2's because of their looks. Despite the fact I like these a lot sonically speaking, I'm now a bit looking to one of the very recent Elac Concentro's (no idea however about the synergy with my audio set)

Someone else?
Oh, man, sorry to hear that. The "WAF" problem. S'unfortunate, as personally, I love the look of C2s.

And, they are fabulous speaker, sonically, as I am sure you know.

Would the new Dyn Contour or Confidence be good-looking enough?

In July 2019, I bought a pair of Harbeth 30.2s, but they are pretty non-descript-looking. And I still have my Contour S3.4s.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:44 AM

Hi, I have a pair of old confidence C2 speakers from 2009. I’m wondering whether an upgrade of the tweeters to a later version would be warranted. Would it improve the sound?
Second question, I am contemplating upgrading my amp which has 500w per channel to a more powerful 900w per channel, bryston 6sst to a bryston 7b3. Is this an overkill or will it make a difference? Unfortunately I cannot bring this home to test.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:32 AM

Ollie - While Dynaudio has continued to refine their Esotar tweeter over the years, I'm not certain that newer versions would be drop in replacements in older speakers. Their electrical parameters may have changed so that a replacement may require supporting changes in the speaker's crossovers. The driver's mounting plates may have also been revised. I'd suggest discussing this with your dealer or Dynaudio directly before attempting to make such a substitution.

As far as the change in Bryston amplification I suspect that the greater sonic change would be due to the improved input section circuitry of the 7B3 compared to the 6SST rather than the difference in their power output, but having additional headroom is always a good thing. Since you can't bring the newer amps home to test in your system, would it be possible for you to bring your amps to the dealer's showroom to compare them in a similar setup? That would let you hear the relative difference to determine if you feel the upgrade is justified.

Good luck and please let us know what you decide on both fronts.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:48 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Hi, I have a pair of old confidence C2 speakers from 2009. I’m wondering whether an upgrade of the tweeters to a later version would be warranted. Would it improve the sound?
Second question, I am contemplating upgrading my amp which has 500w per channel to a more powerful 900w per channel, bryston 6sst to a bryston 7b3. Is this an overkill or will it make a difference? Unfortunately I cannot bring this home to test.
Your tweeters are fine; my advice is to leave them alone. Possible to upgrade to the new Esotar (3?), but that may also require changing parts in the crossover, and that will be a major hassle and it also may not be practical to do. The Confidence C2 is a fabulous speaker, and if it were me, I would just leave it alone.

As for your amps, they’re fine, too. You don’t need more power unless you were placing the speakers in a considerably larger room.

If you want to make an upgrade that will be truly significant for your system, my advice would be to get a Shunyata Research Everest power distributor and some NR power cords for your amp and preamp if that fits within your budget. And a Sigma XC or higher PC to power Everest. That would make a much bigger difference qualitatively and quantitively than swapping out tweeters or going for a more powerful amplifier. The improvement the Everest will bring will be across the entire musical spectrum, all the time. Unlike swapping out tweeters, or amps, where the benefits will be occasional in the case of the amps, if any, or just one part of the audio spectrum, with respect to the tweeters, the improvements from Everest will fundamentally change the nature of the presentation to sound significantly more like live music produced by real music instruments and human voices, rather than music reproduced by electronic components.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-15-2020 at 12:41 PM.