AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Music Reviews

Music Reviews All formats welcome!

Old 04-09-2019, 10:08 AM
Racing Hoopties

Default Dwight Yoakam - Guitars Cadillacs Etc. etc. - The Reprise Album Collection 1986 - 200

I admit it. My name is Craig and I like country music.

Well not all country music especially today’s country/rap/pop hybrid. I like the old stuff.

Perhaps its because it causes me to think about my parents singing to Hank Williams or George Jones on the radio. Country music before the sheen is what I like. Broken trucks, loves and lives. Reborn trucks, loves and lives.

I have been blown away by this huge collection of music from Dwight Yoakam. It comprises 9 of his albums over the 1986 - 2000 time period. I am listening to it via Tidal MQA at 24/96. So far, I have only listened to Discs 1, 2 and 4. They each sound fantastic but Disc 4 is especially great.

The music is all upbeat positive and made with a ‘country calm’ even when the band is rocking.

If you are a country music fan, this is a must listen, must have. If you are a casual CM listener, give it a try and you might love it.

I look forward to listening to all 9 discs of the collection, finding the gems and ‘seeing’ my folks dance around the kitchen. My Dad saying some songs are too much Rock and my Mom chastising him to ‘get with the times’.

IMG_2387.JPG
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters

Last edited by crwilli; 04-09-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:08 PM

He is a great country artist, one of my favs! Thanks for sharing. PS Clint Black is coming to our town this late spring in Cody WY.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:44 PM

I am also a fan of Mr. Yoakam's body of work.

My favorite is "Two Doors Down".
Old 04-09-2019, 09:21 PM

Craig,

I, like you, am a fan of good country music and have been a long time fan of Dwight. I saw him in the 90s in DC and was hooked. He is a true connoisseur of the country arts, including starting the Bakersfield station on Sirius XM. I saw him again last summer with Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams, although he was my least favorite of those three on that night (but still great). He’s also an actor, having starred in Slingblade, among other films.

I just love his homage back to the greats and the stripped down Bakersfield sound. Guitars and cadillacs is one of my all time favorites.

There’s lots of great new country music out there though, but you just don’t hear it on the radio. Try Sturgill Simpson, Margo price, Chris Stapleton, Lucinda Williams (not that new), Sarah jarosz, Brandy Clarke and many many others.

Better yet, stop by in Atlanta when I get the new room built and we’ll have a big time listening to this stuff.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:39 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I admit it. My name is Craig and I like country music.
Craig,
Classic.

I live in Tennessee so country music is just a part of everyday life. Country music concerts are some of the very best concerts I've attended. Wickedly good sound, friendly, down to earth people having a good time and lyrics that reminds you everything is going to be okay. Yep, I like it too.

Dwight Yoakam has put out some great music over the years. Thanks for sharing your affliction - I'll find this set and give it a listen with you.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:07 AM
Racing Hoopties

Default Dwight Yoakam - Guitars Cadillacs Etc. etc. - The Reprise Album Collection 1986 - 200

I listened to all discs in this set yesterday and played golf. It was a busy day. While the sound quality was great for them all, I preferred the music on discs 1 - 5 more than the last 4. Disc 4, the remastered version of his “If There Was A Way” album put me in the audience at a honky tonk in rural Appalachia. It is like comfort food.

From Wikipedia

Dwight David Yoakam (born October 23, 1956) is an American singer-songwriter, musician and actor, known for his pioneering style of country music. First becoming popular in the mid-1980s, Yoakam has recorded more than twenty albums and compilations, charted more than thirty singles on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts, and sold more than 25 million records. He has recorded five Billboard #1 albums, twelve gold albums, and nine platinum albums, including the triple-platinum “This Time”.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters

Last edited by crwilli; 04-10-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:04 PM

Default Dwight

Absolutely one of the finest artist around. I thought it was over when Pete Anderson quit the band in 2002. His guitar work and production of Dwights recordings has been spectacular.The Album "This Time"is a fantastic recording. Ive played "a thousand miles from nowhere" a couple of hundred times
I bought 3 Pears when it came out, also a good record with what I think is his best band yet. Watch the youtube video of this group doing "sloop john b" in the studio
Old 03-21-2021, 11:24 PM

He has a great show on saturdays on Sirius on the Bakersfield sound.