AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Classical Music Discussion

Classical Music Discussion Across the Ages

Old 08-10-2023, 12:27 PM
Retired

Mahler's 1st. Just starting with the recent DG boxset. Am comparing it to the Sony boxset of CDs from Bernstein's 1st time thru the Mahler cycle of symphonies. Comparing the LP and CD is no real comparison............... the LP is considerably better from the get-go. Rhythm, pacing & timing considerably better, as is the sound-stage width & breadth. This is comparing the LP on my Sony PS-X75 with AT-VM740ML (a terrific MM cartridge to my ears) to my Oppo 103 CDP. Of course, it is just a bit of apples-to-oranges comparison as the CDs are from different times/orchestras/venues than are the LPs.

Tied to upload a picture of them, but the site's firewall is blocking same at this time.
[img][/img]
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 08-10-2023 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:38 PM
Retired

Made it thru Mahler's No.2, "Resurrection" on CD with the New York Philharmonic. To my ears, a far better effort/recording than the No.1 on CD. And, like the "Titan", a wonderful work. Listening to it on LP will be next. Will report back once I've done so.
The CDs are quite cleverly 'packaged'. The label makes them look like miniature original LPs with the Columbia label and black outside of the center label with the circular lines of an LP.
[img][/img]
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-11-2023, 01:30 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Thanks Gregam and Formerly YB-2 for your reports.

Mahler's 1st Symphony is one of my favorites. If you also like the 1st you might enjoy a different take from Bernstein with Rafael Kubelik. His version is relaxed and lyrical -- among the best I've heard.

Kubelik recorded a full Mahler cycle for DG mostly in the 60's and then Symphonies 1,2,3,5,6,7 in the 60s - 80's live and released on Audite in the 2000s. The DG box is generally available at quite reasonable cost and you can acquire Mint copies of the Audite, both on Discogs. The Audite series is well made, very quiet and clear. Occasionally you'll hear someone in the live audience that needs a cough drop.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:45 PM
Retired

Finished the LPs of the DG release of Bernstein's 2nd cycle No.2. While the Sony CD of this was better than the CD from his No.1, the LP remains better to my ears. A wider dynamic range. All of the 1st cycle CDs are with the NY Philharmonic except No.8, while the LPs are more varied in orchestra & venue. However, both the No.2s are with NY Philharmonic.

For whatever reason, the site's firewall started blocking my posting of pic's a couple of days ago.
Old 08-15-2023, 02:42 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Finished the LPs of the DG release of Bernstein's 2nd cycle No.2. While the Sony CD of this was better than the CD from his No.1, the LP remains better to my ears. A wider dynamic range. All of the 1st cycle CDs are with the NY Philharmonic except No.8, while the LPs are more varied in orchestra & venue. However, both the No.2s are with NY Philharmonic. ...
Here is an interesting article about Mahler and the Bernstein LP box you have.

Mahler–Complete Symphonies by Leonard Bernstein
Old 08-15-2023, 08:19 AM
Retired

Thank you.
An interesting review. A quick read left me wondering what MJ was saying. He likes it, not so much, you should own, not for audiophiles. And, other recordings he prefers also have various flaws. Ah, well. I listen for the enjoyment of great symphonies and excellent recordings. Thankfully, mine arrived in excellent condition and I've not (yet) suffered any of the surface noise his copies have provided (though I'm only thru 7/32 sides). While his TT/TA/cart may be set up correctly, he might try a more 'forgiving' cartridge.

A somewhat more 'stable' review would be from last month's TAS. Not sure if it is online.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:06 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Unlike the preceding 2nd, 3rd, and 4th symphonies, Mahler's symphony number 5 has no vocal elements. [edited] It is also known for its use of 6 horns (Beethoven's 5th used 3.) Its 1st movement begins with a funeral march with an associated stormy 2nd movement. The 3rd movement, the Scherzo, begins to lighten a bit with dance references. Tragedy turns to beauty in the 4th, scored solely for strings. The final 5th movement is lively and upbeat.

The 5th is not my favorite Mahler symphony. However to the general populace (at least those vaguely or somewhat aware of Mahler) it contains what may be his most famous piece of music. That is the 4th movement, the Adagietto, often characterized as the most beautiful of all Mahler's music, purportedly written as a love song to Mahler's new bride Alma in 1902. The 4th movement also has the noteriety of being played at Robert Kennedy's (Sr) funeral held at Saint Patrick's Cathedral in New York City with performance by Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic. It has been performed stand alone for various films and commercial offerings; people have heard it even if they don't know its Mahler.

Now for something you might find interesting... a comparison between the AAA Original Source von Karajan / Berlin Philharmonic Mahler 5th (above post) with one from Leonard Bernstein and the Vienna Philharmonic.

The Bernstein issuance is DG 423 608-1 / Analogphonic reissue LP43004. It was recorded live in 1987 as Digital recording.

Here is the Original Source version of Movement 4 performed by von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic: https://youtu.be/Ki7UB46VnWs

And the same Movement 4 from Bernstein and the Vienna Philharmonic on the Analogphonic reissue: https://youtu.be/llHhw4h8odw

Do you like one better than the other? Let me know.

PS - you'll need more than a phone or laptop speakers to appreciate.
Okay, the above post offered links to recordings made from my system playing the Mahler Symphony 5 movement 4 -- the famous Adagietto. One performance from Leonard Bernstein and one from Herbert von Karajan. I thought these sound good, maybe not great, but they are representations of what my system sounds like. Of course the performances are wonderful.

Recently I acquired a Mint (unplayed) box set of Mahler Symphonies 5-10 as preformed by Bernard Haitink and the Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam.

Philip 6761 001 or Philips 6500 348-357. You can find these 10 record box sets in mint condition on Discogs.com at very reasonable prices. (Most are outside the US and shipping may not be reasonable; mine came from Australia but still under $100 US.) There is a matching box set of Symphonies 1-4 (Philips 711 003) with 6 LPs. And a 16 LP box set of Symphonies 1-10 (Philips 6768 021). All from 1972.

This is an excellent set for your collection from a top-notch Mahler conductor. Haitink left a huge Mahler legacy with many other recordings.

Given all that, here is a recording of the Symphony 5 Adagietto made on my Lamm/JBL system: https://youtu.be/urtb29ZvwDY?si=EgMledYkfJKtSIg6

Of the three, which is your favorite?